Standard Cartridge Series - 450 Marlin

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), January 29, 2005, 05:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Except for the belt...this cartridge is very inviting.  It would be even more inviting if it had been designed as the author of this piece proposed...as an Ackley Improved version.  It might even border on the irresistible if we could have a say in the final design of the lever action.

45-70 Rifleman

I have tried many different loads in my Marlin 1895 and I will be the first to admit that when you start approaching 3200 foot pounds of muzzle energy the shooting is brutal to the shooter. I remember one time when I was at a shooting range another gentleman had a Trapdoor Springfield replica and a .458 Win Mag bolt gun. He asked me if he could try my Marlin. I told him sure, if he would let me shoot his Trapdoor. I pointed out that the loads I had were too hot for his gun and so we shot the appropriate loads in the appropriate arms. His Trapdoor seemed a very docile rifle even though it had a curved steel buttplate. But his impression of my Marlin was something different. After the first shot, he decided he had had enough. He remarked that it kicked significantly more than his .458 and he didn't know how anyone could shoot such a beast. That day, after firing a score of heavy loads, I went home with a bruised shoulder.  I've learned to accept the bruises delivered by my Marlin when firing heavy loads.  It happens a lot.  I cannot imagine why anyone in his right mind would want to fire a more powerful cartridge in the 1895.

I think the .450 Marlin is a good cartridge to build a short bolt action rifle around.  It is very similar to the .458 American wildcat, a shortened .458 Win Mag. I have thought about having one built for a long time but, fun as it might be, I just haven't had any need for it. If I need more than a heavy 45-70 load, I'll just take the .375 H&H.

Tags: