Standard Cartridge Series - .30-30 Winchester

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), November 16, 2004, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi llanero,

Hm that sounds Welsh, is it?

The Deer in the photo is a Muntjac Doe, properly a Reeves Muntjac (Muntiacus reevesi) no not clever I looked it up;) . Muntjac come from Asia the other type that may be found in Britain is the Indian Muntjac ( Muntiacus muntjac) which is slightly larger by about  4" in height. yes the rifle does shoot that load well, it does not however do very well with Winchester 150 grn HP or Silver tip factory ammo I am sorry to say. Here is another picture of a group 5 shots this time shot with this recipe, obviously I have settled upon this load for the obvious reasons:D
Go Get them Floyd!

fish

Brithunter

Hi fish,

The rifle is a one off bolt action built around the length of the Winchester 170 grain 30-30 factory loading, which I have never been able to get. Only seem to get the 150 grain in either HP or Silver Tips. The bolt face is the Mauser type and has been fitted for the Winchester cases which being undersize means that I cannot use other makes of cases. The bolt has two front lugs ala mauser but does not have the third safety lug, instead it uses the bolt handle root as the third lug, bolt release is like some earlier Sako actions. It uses the full length Mauser extractor so has controlled round feeding, the magazine only hold 3 rounds + 1 in the chamber of course :-

The rifle is fitted with a Kepplinger set trigger, you push the trigger blade forwards to set it and then it requires a couple of ounzes to set it off, even unset trigger pull it about 2 1/2 lbs ata guess may be slightly less. I hope that answers your questions.
Go Get them Floyd!

RatherBHuntin

Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

llanero

Brithunter:

Many thanks for posting and sharing this information.  Those groups are absolutely fantastic and the rifle looks like a beaut!  I must definately investigate converting a bolt-action into one (on the other hand, there are some cheap single shots commercially chambered for this cartridge as well but methinks it'd be a bit more fun tinkering with an old Mauser).

So THAT is what a muntjac looks like.  My brother has been telling me these stories about the "barking deer" that live around his house in the wilds of Suffolk

As far as the screen name, it is not Welsh; it is spanish for "plainsman"--I was born and raised in Venezuela and have managed to keep some vestiges of the culture.
There ain\'t too many things a man cain\'t fix with $700 and a .30/06.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Answer time again:D

RatherBHuntin, that is the steel recoil bolt ,here is a picture of the other side which has the makers Monogram engraved into the steel. Now why they fitted a steel recoil bolt is such a light cartridge rifle ................................... I know not but I suppose it's where they have their monogram. Hmmmm perhaps I should have mine engraved on that plain one, never thouht of that before:D

llanero,  Ahhh I saw the "double L" at the front and I know that the Welsh are fond of that sort of spelling which is why I asked. Now yes you are correct the Muntjac are know as the Barking Deer, Roe also bark but not like the little Munties who sem to do it for fun at times. It seems the biggest problem the makers had was getting the Rimmed cartridges to feed smoothly from the magazine, might be something to bear in mind if you did decide to build a bolt action rifel in 30-30 Winchester. Oh Winchester did make the Model 54 in this chambering and Savage did the Model 340 and of course the Savage Model 99 was also done in this. make sure that the magazine is long enough to seat the spitzer bullets out where they belong. Mine I am sorry to say is not:(  the guy who ordered it specified Winchester 170 grn factory loads and the magazine was built around them. I cannot use the 150 or 165 Grain spitzers as they have to be seated too deeply, I did buy some 150 grain Hornady round nose bullets to try, the 150 grn flat points shoot well:p  but may be a bit fragile at the elevated velocities I shoot them at. Over the chrono I got the same 2800 fps that I am getting with the 130 grain bullets, the 130's shoot just that bit better though.

Oh it was an article in aPetersens Rifle shooter magazine entitled "Soup up the 30-30" which gave me the idea of trying this powder and spitzer bullets. I read the article a long time before i found this rifle, and I was not even looking for a 30-30. The rifle was just so nice i thought well i can work with the cartridge so let's go for it! Must admit I did go away and find the article and read it again which just made the decision easier even if paying for it was hard.
Go Get them Floyd!

Fortunate Son

Brithunter

Beautiful, the rifle and the groups.  Thank you for sharing.
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

fish

very, very nice. that actrion looks vaguely familiar. must remember to look in my ragged copy of de haas.

sakorick

Quote from: llaneroI've always wondered what the .30/30 would do accuracy-wise if loaded with spitzer bullets and shot out of a bolt-action...
Why not shoot a 150 grain Nosler BT's out of your lever action...I do. I have a 336 that I use exclusively for a stand that has a 60 yard max shot. The Nosler MV is around 2400'/sec. I have 2 Winchester 150 grain round nose Silver Tips in the magazine waiting and waiting and waiting...you get the picture. Ooooooh love that 30/30 for close work.
:D
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

fish

bh:
is your sweet little .30-30 a krico? it has the lines, but not the milled scope mount grooves.
didn't remember to look in my de haas last night. the name "krico" just hit me here at work.

Brithunter

Er fish,

I am not sure whether to take you seriously or not here:confused:  as I believe I have mentioned the maker in this post and the fact that it's the only one like it and also you can actually read the makers name on the left side wall of the action in the photo:p

But anyway................ the rifle is of English make being made by the small firm of Medwell & Perritt from Suffolk England so no it's not a Krico which is a German make. You can look in de hass all you like but I very much doubt that you will find Medwell & Perritt in there:D . Hope that helps!
Go Get them Floyd!

fish

sorry, bh. i flashed through that post after seeing "one-off." in my hurry, i assumed a one-off based on a known receiver. no offense intended; just laziness on my part. i penned my penultimate post with the shape of the bolt handle in mind without going back over the thread. the thought picture registered as krico-ish.
i have considered at times re-barreling a sporterized model 96 swede in .30-30. the bolt face and extractor are a perfect fit for the .30-30 rim. hmmmm. your little beauty inspires me. my swede is due a rebarrel anyhow.
abiding in Him,
><>

Brithunter

Hi fish,

No problem, I have done that myself, not read, really read the posts before:rolleyes:

Hmm looks like I am to blame for causeing the flame to flare up. R.E the Swede conversion. It should work out sweet, however I am not sure about the feeding from the magazine. The Swedish cartridge being quire tapered may help some, but only time will tell. Of course using the 96 swedish action will limit your pressures a little, but I can still see that you will be able to improve the velocity over the std 30-30 loadings and if you keep the mag ful length you will eb able to use the longer 150 & 165 Grn spitzers which I cannot.

Please kepp us informed as to how it goes and turns out:D
Go Get them Floyd!

fish

i have loaded a bunch for the .30-30. even in the win model 94 and marlin 336, velocities can be raised significantly without crossing the pressure threshhold. my favorite load in a 94 some years ago was a speer 170-grain flat nose over xx.x win 748. it was a load from sam fadala's book on the model 94 that pushed the speer to a little over 2,300 fps. killed a deer at a measured 196 yards. slap knock down, drag out. fadala's book is a wonderful source for .30-30 handloading data. i have loaded the .30-30 for an NEF handirifle as well. the 165-grain hornady spire point flat base shot magnificently over 748.

Tags: