Good hunting stories to share?

Started by 12 gauge, November 21, 2004, 02:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12 gauge

Got any good stories to tell? Post them here..

They can be funny, exciting, scary, thrilling, or even just for fun!

They can be with any animal (deer, squirrel, rabbit, elk, moose, foxes, bear, waterfowl, etc.)

I got a few myself to share..

Squirrel Hunt of 2000

This story is a good one..It is funny..

Me and my dad went on a squirrel hunt at our friends land. I had my 20 gauge and he had his 12 gauge, we scouted out a good spot, and sat on a log, we were watching a creek bottom (so we were on top of a ridge) and we were watching this one big oak. Well 30 minutes into the hunt me and my dad saw a squirrel, sitting on a limb on this oak about 20 feet in the air. So he said to me "Son, go around the tree and shoot him, be sure to hit him well so we don't have to shoot him again" so i agreed and got up and walked around the tree, i got to where i could see him, put the shotgun on fire and cocked the hammer, i set the sights right on the squirrel and shot, the squirrel fell face first onto the branch with it's claws in the branch and laying there dead as a door nail! So i told my dad maybe i missed, so he got up and he shot it, while he did this i reloaded, after his shot the squirrel was still in the tree! So i got done reloading and i shot again, then he shot and the squirrel was still in the tree! We shared shots over and over again until i was out and my dad had ONE shell left! He aimed well and shot, and the squirrel finally fell to the ground! LOL! There was so much lead in that squirrel that we didn't even put it in our pack, we just left him where he laid lol!

Logs and squirrel hunters are never good friends...

Here's another one that is funny too...

Me and my dad went squirrel hunting at the same spot that i said in the last story ^. So i had my 20 gauge and my dad had his 12 gauge again, and we sat there and a squirrel was on a branch 30 foot up the tree we were leaning on, so my dad said "Turn around and aim up and shoot the squirrel" so i did, i aimed straight up at a 90 degree angle and shot, as soon as i did this the recoil from the gun knocked me off the log and onto the ground with my feet in the air, my dad rolled over laughing and i was daised...I looked at my dad and said "hey dad did i get him? did i get him?" and by that time the squirrel landed on the ground 5 feet away from my head! LOL!

So needless to say, squirrel hunters and logs aren't good companions! LOL!

Got any good stories? Post them here...
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

PIEBALLED.243

i went hunting with some family friends on the mississippi youth hunt in november. i was using a .243. Saturday mouring saw a spike and spikes are illegal in miss. so i dindt shoot. Next eving my brother shot a doe. then sunday evening finally spotted a doe and a button buck. i amed at the doe and i couldnt control my breathing so my friend took the gun showed me how to hold it and gave it back. by the time i squeezed the trigger i wasnt breathing. turn out okay

X.MA2.1100579324@aol.com[/img]

X.MA3.1100579324@aol.com[/img]

X.MA4.1100579324@aol.com[/img] check out my pics

Marlin917VS

"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

12 gauge

Apparently it is giving us your email address..

Go to www.photobucket.com and register, it's free and easy and upload your pictures on there and give us the link with the image tags.

Good luck! :D

Luke

Here is one-- My dad was pushing a patch of woods for me, he told me on the radio `Be Ready'...He seen alot of buck rubs and fresh tracks... Im in a treastand with a Rem. 870 Shotgun with a bead sight.  And on the front of me is a field and on the back of me is a field.  On the left is woods.  I waited about 5 min.  I hered something bust on of the woods into the field behind me.  I turn.  Its about an 10 point buck runnin across the field... I bust of 4 shots.. went up to see if i hit it...No blood, then I went and looked at a valley of woods and I kicked up the same buck that I shot at. I took 3 shots at about 85 yrds.  I went over and found a lil blood and a bone, we tracked his trail into a county park short by.  We left are guns and started looking for him. We kicked him out and he had a half rack. It was prob. a 5 Point on that side.. We tracked for about another 2 hours but never found that beauty buck. Later in the season I hit another buck prob 70 yrds. away.  Sadly didnt get a good shot on him neither. Maybe next year now that I got my slug barrel?

Marlin917VS

Hey Luke.  Nice story, maybe next year.  I'm from westmoreland county, PA.  If its not too personal, what school district do you go to?  If you don't want to post it you can pm me or if you don't want to say it thats alright.  Well anyway, good luck next year.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

12 gauge

Yes nice story!

Everyone misses, that is why they call it hunting, not killing...

Maybe next time you will get him! sounds to me like you had an encounter of a lifetime with a nice buck! ;)

Good luck,

god bless :D

redtickcoonhunter09

This is about a deer hunt. I got drawn for a hunt at LBL in Kentucky. Me and my Uncle got there and we stopped at the spot we were going to hunt and there was a guy there that had camped there the night before. He told us that like some other people were already on there way to that spot like he owned it or something. It was a great spot so we just went in anyway. We got set up in our ground blind and everything else. Then someone else came in there ,shined there light right on us but didn't see us then someone else came. So there were people to the left and right of us about 15 yards away. So we had to gather up our stuff and walk all the way out wictch was a long walk. Then we loaded up and had to go to another field and it was getting pretty bright. This field was an awful spot so we sat there for a while and nothing happened. We didnt see anything so we left to go on the long trip home coming ouit with nothing on a once a year hunt.:frown

Duckbuster612

Heres 1 bout waterfowl(nobody has stories bout these). Well i live in NY and my hunting partner and I went out to go shoot some blackduck. Well it was a nice day(poor for duck hunting) and we didnt see anything until i finally catch glimps of somthing. We got down and started blasting away on the calls. Turns out it was a flock of 10 Shellpecker. so we got nothing else to do but shoot so we wait until they are in the spread and i hear...'LITE EM UP!" we get up and right off the bat we get 4 of em and 1 kinda crapped out on the other side of the bay. So next thing i hear is BOOM! BOOM! and i see 2 hooded mergansers go smashing down in the decoys. I look up and theres a shellpecker in front of me so i get up and dunk him and the shellpecker turned out to be a kamokazie. The duck came straight down at full speed and me and me and my buddy are hurling steel at it trying to stop it. But it turned out we had no shells in the gun. i hear my buddy say "THAT duck is coming for us!!! GET DOWN!!!" i see him duck and i have 1 last shell i put in my gun and put it in the chamber....I put the sights right on him and pulled the trigger. I hit that duck right smack in the teeth and he went down like a pile of bricks and hit the front of the duck blind. We had a killer day though, limited out on divers and somehow ended up with a black duck.

frontier gander

sept 05. i went mule deer hunting during muzzleloading season. No scopes, sabots no pellet powder. Colorado law, which i think makes sense. Anyway, first day of opening season, my brother and i are walking down a trail to a certain spot we wanted to watch and while we're walking i get winded, a little over 10,000 feet in the mountains. And so i go and sit down to catch my breath and i look over my left shoulder and just  drop onto my stomach and my brother does the same. A nice 160+ lb doe was standing only 100 yards away watching, So i thumb the safety off, aim at her and fire! BOOOM! no kick at all and the deer just trots off and  we never see her again. Turns out that the bullets i was using " saber tooth" the bullet felt out of its cheap holder and fell off on the hike up into the mountain! Good thing i had powerbelts in my bag with me! lol. Five days later i found a great spot, Scared 3 of them off, also stood up and then i caught a glimpse of an ear in thick aspens, So my brother and i stay hidden in the rock area we were in, Finally about 3 minutes later a great sized doe walks out and stops and i got her at 147 yards with my .50 winchester  x-150!  Talk about a hard hunt! lol Dropped her in her tracks.

buck boy22

Hi

I have a cupple of good ones.
One day me and my dad went hunting on one of our farms in Virginia and we hunt deer with shotguns in our county so we were chasing the deer with beagles and they were running a spike. One of our buddies named steve shot at it with his 12 guage and the deer went down then got up and he shot it again. When it got up a third time he shot at it with his last bullet. The deer fell down and got up again and h watched it walk out of the field. Then it came in our field and we watched it limp across our field to the woods (we didn't shoot for the safety of nearby hunters). Later we told him to put a tracking pellet in his shotshells. Anyway he ran to a marsh and nobody found him until we stumbled across his skelatin on a different hunt.

bowhunter 51

Great story, buckboy!.....Oooh!, I got one for you guys! Wadn't long ago,
bout 10 year ago..Huntin' a WMA food plot, awe bout 10 min. from here,..
compound bow, 15ft ladder stand. Daylight, here come a big swamp rabbit,
Mississippi river bottom, lot of'm here..Hippity-hoppin' along, sniffing around
went right under my stand and off down thru there...Wadn't long, I spy
movement, I'm thinking "Big Buck!", turns out it was a big ole male bobcat..
He's right on this rabbits scent trail and gonna walk right straight under me.
I'm thinking "try that straight down shot" I turn that arrow loose, Boy!eeee!
& that critter leaped halfway up tha red-oak I was in, latched on with them
long claws a drag'n that broadhead tip't arrow up that tree trunk it'a dig'n
a furrow...bark just'a fly'n...Next thang I new. I was eyeball to eyeball with
this big cat...We was suspended in time....Biggest, Wildest, Meanest eyes
I ever seen!...My heart done quit, I was bout to have a pre-mature bowl
movement and one of my feets done step't off the stand platform, as it ta
do a free-fall..Fortunately the cat turned and lept to tha ground..Hit the
ground spin'n like the Tazmanian devil on Bugs Bunny...Had ever sapling
around pealed before he gave it up...I had to sit down...never no more.....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

bowhunter 51

Many moons ago, I experienced a moment worth shareing...Me and my
Dad were deer hunting some timber company ground on the Tennessee
river..Late season, lots of ground, few hunters...I had recently killed a
nice 10pt there and my Dad wanted some of that action...after still hunt'n
the morning, I decided to do a little drive toward my Dad...slowly working
my way around a ridge and through some thick cover in hopes of moving
some deer from bedding areas and perhaps over the ridge toward him...
I was familiar with the area..I came upon the east end of a west bound
deer, plainly jutting out from behind some white oaks, It's head concealed
from veiw...I froze in readiness...BUCK?....Suddenly a white dog comes
busting out of brush nearby and up to me wagging it's tail..I surprized,
but remained focused...That's when this young doe comes stepping out
from behind the white oaks...She's got a blaze-orange hunting vest
around it's neck and walks right down to me..It was someones pet!......
There wasn't a road, much less a residence withing miles...It followed me
back over the ridge...I was uncomfortable with that, but it was worth it
to see my Dad's jaw drop, stupified by this sight..Ha..Ha..I had a 35mm
with black & white film..(digital pics of the photos)...she eased up to him
briefly and then followed the dog on off..............................................BH51.....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: