Winter afternoon hog hunting

Started by kombi1976, July 27, 2023, 03:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

Since I've been involved in politics I've gotten involved in advocacy and as a result have made friends who have properties. One of my friends has feral pigs on her land, like many people here in Australia at present. Just like the south of the USA, feral pigs are in plague proportions across much of Australia.

My friend has had pigs dig up her land but they were doing so on the trail cam at 9:30pm so only dogs or thermal are suitable at those hours, neither of which I can afford. Instead I advised my friend to lay down feed - corn mixed with diluted molasses -  in an open space the hope we could at least put up low lighting. As it happened, they began turning up on the trail cam at 5:15pm!

So, we gave it several days and then I headed out with a mate this arvo to see if they'd come out. We waited from 4:15 and finally at about 5:30 two pigs gingerly emerged from the scrub 50yds away. It was an unwise move on their behalf but very satisfying for us. I rolled the first pig, a boar, with a Speer 165gn SPBT from my 308.

My mate smacked 2 more with his 243 but they both ran a few yards into the scrub which, being brown and black spotted and right on dusk, were impossible to find in the scrub. Nonetheless, it was a great result.

No. I didn't take the carcass home. We slit its gut so its buddies and the neighbouring foxes will come and feed on it. My friend is also going to keep spreading feed and we'll leave it alone for a few weeks to let everything settle.

Best of all, this afternoon's pig was the first I've ever shot. Yep, despite years of hunting it's the first I've had a chance to nail. Gotta love hunting! ;D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jamie.270

Quote from: kombi1976 on July 27, 2023, 03:22:00 AMGotta love hunting! ;D
Indeed! 

Great pig Kombi.
When it comes to "free range" pork, you never know if it's fit to eat until you cut it.  It's usually not even decent table fare.

Thanks for the pics and the backstory.
And congratulations on your first porker.  I hope you get the opportunities for many more.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

A follow up. After an amateur hour offhand miss at 50yds last Thursday in the same location I returned to the property on Sunday arvo. At first I stood where I had on the 2 previous occasions but after seeing a boar slip in only to depart without giving me a clear shot I moved to my left and had a clear view of the location and an effective kill zone. I hunkered down, fully cammed up behind a small tree to break up my shape and waited. It didn't take long. This small sow scampered in went to depart but paused in plain view. It was a fatal decision. Another effective kill with the 308. Not a big sow but dead sows don't breed.

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

:biggthumpup: I like that these critters look more like 'proper' wild boar than feral pigs!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Many feral pigs do. There's been 10s of thousands of generations since they originally were released or got free. 
Cheers & God Bless

Tags: