Patterns

Started by Hunterbug, May 14, 2012, 02:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

I got the 12ga back out today to try a few things to see if I could get some better patterns. I was shooting at 25 yards. All the targets are on 22X28 inch poster board.

I noticed that I'm getting this when I shoot the left barrel.

This is the right barrel with 70gr of powder, double card, no cushion, the same amount of 7 1/2 shot, single card.

This is the left barrel with the same load.

This is the right barrel with 70gr of powder, double card, a lubed cushion, the same amount of shot, and a single over shot card.

Here is the left barrel with the same load.

For this load I went with 70gr of powder, a double card, no cushion, 80gr equivalent of shot (I don't know how many ounces that is), and a single over shot card. This one put a LOT more pellets in the target.

Here's the left barrel with the same load. The pattern is concentrated towards the bottom of the target. That's because I was still a little low when I touched it off.

I did also learn that it seemed to be hitting a little high for me and so I started aiming towards the bottom of the target.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

I certainly 'like' the patterns with the greater shot charge, but they all seem a little weird to me. Looks like the left barrel likes a buffer wad, and the right barrel doesn't. If it were mine, I'd up the powder charge to at least 75 grains-by-volume and maybe 80 and see how it 'feels' and shoots.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

You just have to work the patterns. The heavier load with same powder suggests that your gun may like a little slower shot travel to pattern better.

I am curious about the dirty hand from the left barrel. Am I right this happens when you are actually firing? Do you feel heat or pain? It could indicate a pin hole in the barrel or leakage around the nipples. does this stuff come out of the crack between the wood and barrel, need to check under the barrel for corrosion.

I was fully expecting to see dirty hands but that is a strange pattern, Dirty lips from blowing down recently fired barrels to put out embers before reloading is common. Not really necessary but one of the more common old wives habits around BP shooters.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: