You asked for it...

Started by rockinbbar, August 09, 2008, 05:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinbbar

Here it is guys. ;)

Enjoy, & keep it busy, will ya?

Now, Get to work! :D
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Go to it, guys!

Looks like you got your wish.

Well, 'cept someone misspelled "australian" in the forum title?  But , I guess we can't start getting too picky, can we?

;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

:D I'll see what I can do....duh...Where's my spell checker?

Daryl (deceased)

Looks like you got it, rockin'.

I went to change it just now (had to feed the dogs and turkeys first), but by the time I got there it was done.

Thanks!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Found my Spellchecker....^^^^^^

Thanks, Daryl ;)

recoil junky

So, will pith helmets be required covers to post in this forum??

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: recoil junky;81946So, will pith helmets be required covers to post in this forum??

RJ

They're optional, but recommended.

;)

Daryl

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

I'm looking for one just to read the posts here....hard to find in the SouthEast.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

kombi1976

Top work, lads!!!
Will post a pic of yours truly posting on this forum with pith helmet on. :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

kombi1976

Pith helmet as requested.......

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

davidlt89

Just wondering, what is the significance of the pith helmet. don't think I have seen one before? God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brithunter

They are a British idea for use in tropical climes and brings to mind explorers like Livingstone and Stanley in Africa. British troops wore them during the 2nd Boer war and in places like Sudan.

On a slightly different note I find it strange that at Ombusdum (spelling?) one decisive thing in the battle was the destruction of the Muslim shrine by shell fire. According to the Muslim belief the Tomb was indestructable by human means, of course some howiter shells proved this to be false and seriously weakened their warriors resolve. Same as they had to be buried whole to reach heaven which makes a mockery fo the Suicide bombers and modern islam :frown .
Go Get them Floyd!

kombi1976

Pith Helmets were standard issue to British  Soldiers from the mid to late 19th century through to the early to mid 20th century for hot weather climates. They were also used by hunters, plantation owners and other European people living and working in the Antipodes.
There are 2 basic patterns:
  • The Traditional pattern which is more cone shaped and pointed. It was used during the Lybian Campaign that in included the Battle of Suakin and it was most notably the attire of the 24th Regiment of Foot on "Wednesday 22- Thursday 23 January,                      1879, when some 150 soldiers defended a supply station against                      some 4000 Zulus aided by the Martini Henry rifle ''with some guts behind it'". [http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/]
  • The Wolseley pattern which is flatter with a wider brim and was used from the early 20th century on.
It is a less well known fact that both the Germans and the Japanese used variations on the Wolseley pattern during WW2 when campaigning in Africa and South East Asia respectively and that these are also used by the Vietnamese.
As far as the Aussie link goes, there were Australian soldiers who fought both at Suakin in pith helmets and many explorers here also wore them.
Mind you pith helmets were quickly discarded in favour of the slouch hat here in Australia because of it's superior protection from the sun but nonetheless the pith helmet still stands as a symbol of the days when the sun did not set on the British Empire.
And all things considered, however the USA was condemning of them, colonial subjects of the British Empire were much better off than those of Spain, Belgium or Holland.
To be fair though, despite Australia's origins as a penal colony it fared much better after independence than India and without doubt much of Africa.
The British constructed a huge amount of infrastructure while they were in a country but when they left the different factions fought like cats in a sack and many still do.
But enough history lessons.
The real link is that I  like wearing a pith helmet and don't mind looking like a complete pratt. :greentongue:

Ed. The battle of Suakin was actually part of the Sudan campaign, not Libya.
Cheers & God Bless

bowhunter 51

It's cool............I got a coonskin cap,.......................................................BH51....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

Glad to see the Oz-trailian site. maybe it will bring more Ozzies to the table.

As for those seeking pith helmets...

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=pith+helmet&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Pretty much whatever your heart desires...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: