selling off collection

Started by JaDub, August 05, 2021, 08:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

I`m about ready to start selling off my collection and was wondering what experiences you all have had doing so.  Options are auction, consignment and private sales.   Auctions usually take 20% of selling price, consignments seem too risky dealing with shop owners  and private sales and the related `advertising` can be a pain......especially trying to arrange backround checks with FFL `agents`.  

What would you do if you had  a number  of guns from hunting to collectables ??

No ARs or pistols.........

Thanx, JaDub

Hunterbug

I would donate them to my local friends who take me hunting and help me pack my animals out. :MOGRIN: Arms list is a good option. Let me ask around and I'll call you next week.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

I'm doing the same, JaDub, and I haven't come up with any magic bullet. I have settled on selling locally/privately because:

1) auctioneers not only take AT LEAST 20%, but once you commit to their sale, they can AND WILL sell your stuff for pennies on the dollar, and

2) consignments are only VERY slightly more effective than personal sales. Selling one at a time, is a PITA but so is, in my opinion, everything else in one way or another.

I'll sell what I can while I'm alive, and let my heirs deal with what's left. I know full well they'll probably sell my guns for pennies on the dollar, BUT, I'll be dead and won't care, and it will be THEIR dollars they'll be squandering.

That's how I'm dealing with it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I have told Gitano that I would go up and help his family take care of that if needed. There are several gun shows going on along the front range in the coming months. Rent a table and load up what you want to move and spend a weekend doing it.

But I still like my first suggestion better. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

JaDub

Would I not have to have a dealer lisc if I went to a gun show ??

Hunterbug

Quote from: JaDub;155941Would I not have to have a dealer lisc if I went to a gun show ??

Nope. They are having one Labor Day weekend at the Grizzly Rose.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

That's a good option in my opinion, and I would absolutely do that. Trouble is, I live at the end of the road.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

The 10th amendment protects us from having to have a "dealer's license" at gun shows because it is " within state, between two residents of the state". That SHOULD apply to gun sales at Walmart or ANY OTHER  "gun store" in the state, but EVERY president SINCE LINCOLN, REGARDLESS OF PARTY, has STOMPED on the 10th amendment, and Congress has let them! Pisses me off more than I am able to express!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

mmmmmmm,     only gonna get worse I`m afraid.

gitano

All the more reason to 'get after it' with respect to the gun shows, I would think.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: