Private Message Long Term Storage

Started by M. R. Byrd, May 09, 2005, 05:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. R. Byrd

I am at my limit of 50 private messages in my inbox and outbox. Is there a way to store these for future use and free up my current space for more messages?

Thanks,
Maynard

P.S. Surely someone wrote the book, "Internet Forums For Dummies".:D
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

rockinbbar

I think you just have to go through them & pick which ones to keep...
You might be able to save them to your hard drive on your computer as a file, but I don't think there is any way to save them in your mailbox here.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Kit

Yes, you can save them off this system to your own, with the drop-down box choices appearing at the bottom of the *list* -- whether sent or received messages.

If you only check off the messages from /to one particular member, you could give the file a name that would let you sort it by member.

While we're on this topic, here's an FYI which I learned (the hard way) a while back -- to make the first 5 letters or digits (of a MS Windows filename) to distinguish the file - unless I stay with 8. You can use the whole 8 to identify it and always be able to read it later. If you go beyond 8, then you are at risk of having a lot of extra work to do some day. Some computer problems will force files (during hard drive recovery) to be read or saved only in DOS and it will change them all to 8, such as: filenamefreddieflintstoneJune12005.txt to filena~1.txt and filenamefreddieflintstoneJune302006.txt to filen~12.txt (and so on.) So yes, I ended up with a whole lot of extra reading to do to change filenames!

It only happened to me once but I keep my filenames simple now!  

Has anyone noticed that we started getting "dummies" books when we got computers? It's not the people using the puters who need them, IMHO, it's the techies. We all feel stupid, unnecessarily! I hear they do much of it at 2:30 AM high on caffeine, sleep deprivation, and who knows that else (Code Red and Starbucks beverages have been implicated.)

How about "User-friendly design for Dummies" and "Plain Language Interface -- an Idiot's Guide"

:-)
   ~Kit

Tags: