Youth rifle

Started by davidlt89, December 29, 2012, 05:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

I lent my thompson center encore in 25-06 to a friend who's son was legal to hunt this year. I originally bought the rifle for a couple of reasons 1) I have always wanted that round and 2) thought it might be a good round for my son to start hunting with since recoil is very tolerable!

As it seems, both my son and my friends son were able to handle the recoil this year once they mustarded up the courage to take that first shot. So my friends son used it first this year for bear season. It was fine in the blind on a set of steady stix, and he was able to connect on his first bear. But, we had to "track" the bear which meant he had to actually shoulder the gun and hold it. We soon found it this was not easy for him to do.

I have the 26" bull barrel and with a scope the gun is close to 9lbs!!!! My friends son used it during deer season and he could not carry it more than 50 yards without complaining of how heavy it was. Not to mention he could not hold it up to aim without it waving all over the place!!! I soon found out this was a problem for my son also.

Sooooo, thinking of this upcoming year, and the fact that my son is hunting for the first time, I decided to look into actual youth rifles for him!!! ones with a shorter LOP and that are lighter. I also took my middle son into consideration who is much smaller, and decided to get a youth rifle in .243!!! More comfortable recoil than the 25-06 and also good deer medicine!!!!

I researched a lot of youth rifles and the best value seemed to be the mossberg atr super-bantam!!! So I got a hold of my ffl friend and he said he get it for 279.00!!!! I had him order it on the spot. This was not much more than a rossi single shot in the same caliber and was not as ugly as the rossi, plus it is a bolt. I owned a mossberg atr 100 in .243 at one time and it was a shooter and I was pleased with the rifle.

So, I should receive the rifle next week. I ordered most of the reloading components this morning and will load up some test rounds for spring this winter!!! here is the factory picture of the rifle. I will obviously post some real pics once I get it. God Bless.
http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-atr-bantam-super-bantam-short-action/27240
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

That looks like a really good deal.  I love the spacer concept, letting you add them as the kid's arms stretch.  And a repeater seems so much more practical to me than a single shot, at least to me, though I know lots of folks like singles and hunt with them.  Of course I just have this thing for Mossbergs too.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

I have certainly have nothing against single shots, I own two and shot my last bear with one!!! But I think this is much better looking than a Rossi or NEF and it is only a few more dollars!!!! I like mossbergs myself although I don't have much experience with their rifles. I have shot more birds with mossberg shotguns than any of my others. I also think it will fit "like a glove"!!! as fate would have it, I had a friend come over to let me help him zero his guns and one was a .243, I picked up 30 cases off the lawn and kept them downstairs!!! Pays to be a "packrat"! ordered 20 more last night just to have!
should have the gun this week and will post some real pics!!!

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brithunter

Hmmm perhaps it's just me but I always thought part of the appeal to the break down single shot rifle is the trim lines and lack of weight. Why would anyone then add a drain pipe profile barrel is beyond me.

One reason I dislike the Thompson type single shots is they just look so ruddy awful to me. None of he lines flow and one can see they came from an angular design pistol. Oh I know others luv em ................................................ I just cannot see it.

David you must have had a day off in the thinking department asking a young boy to carry a 9lb rifle!  Were you trying to put them off?

As you hand load if it was me I would have used a lighter weight rifle and loaded some reduced loads for them and sighted it in with such. In fact just thinking this over I would have put a nice fixed magnification scope, probably a 4x one, onto the 270 majestic and made up some reduced load with 130 grain bullets. Drop the velocity down to about 2600-2700 and I feel they should cope well enough.As I know I can get a spare stock for one of these BSA's I would do so and cut the LOP down too. Doing this would end up with a rifle all up ready to hunt weighing less than 8lbs and closer to 7 1/2 lbs. Enough to help handle recoil but light enough for them to manage without too much trouble.

I hope you new Savage fit the bill for you and the boys.
Go Get them Floyd!

davidlt89

QuoteDavid you must have had a day off in the thinking department asking a young boy to carry a 9lb rifle! Were you trying to put them off?
I will take that comment in good faith! the thompson center with the 24" barrel comes in at 6lb 12oz, I really did not think the bull barrel would make that much difference. Also, he may just be ready to use it, but just in case, I got the smaller gun.

QuoteOne reason I dislike the Thompson type single shots is they just look so ruddy awful to me. None of he lines flow and one can see they came from an angular design pistol. Oh I know others luv em ................................................ I just cannot see it.
understand!!! I kinda feel the same way about BSA's, cannot for the life of me understand all the hype, but as you said, some luv'em!

Quoteonto the 270 majestic and made up some reduced load with 130 grain bullets. Drop the velocity down to about 2600-2700 and I feel they should cope well enough.As I know I can get a spare stock for one of these BSA's I would do so and cut the LOP down too. Doing this would end up with a rifle all up ready to hunt weighing less than 8lbs and closer to 7 1/2 lbs. Enough to help handle recoil but light enough for them to manage without too much trouble.
recoil is not the problem in the 25-06, he handles it fine, the rifle is to just to heavy!!! I ain't cutting any my rifles, so buying a smaller one seemed appropriate.
QuoteI hope you new Savage fit the bill for you and the boys.
I am sure it will my friend!!!! God Bless.

buffalo bob

the savage are excellent. i got a youth for my grandson .  an Axis then replaced the trigger with a timiney. a real tack driver and i got it in 223 rem . very light weight.

gitano

Be aware of the influence the weight of the rifle has on felt recoil. I took some 'kids' shooting over the holidays, and even in their inexperience they were impressed with the difference in recoil that the weight of the rifle made. I'm sure you are 'aware' of the influence of rifle weight, but sometimes it's actual effect is greater than we anticipate. I think your handloads will resolve the issue just fine.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteBe aware of the influence the weight of the rifle has on felt recoil.
I took this into consideration and it is one of the reasons I went with the .243. My oldest son, and his friend I lent the 25-06 to both shot a .243 also when they shot the 25-06 for the first time. They could have shot "boxes" of bullets with the .243. Although, this one is "smaller" than the one they shot, it should still be very comfortable for him!!!
On further examination, I think the LOP has a lot to do with it to be honest. Yes, the encore is heavy, but when you can only reach in inch or two past the trigger guard with your hand, there is a lot to hold up. I measured the length of pull on the encore and it was 14 1/2". the boy who used it also had a recoil pad that added another inch (he refused to use it without the recoil pad). the mossberg has an LOP of 12", this should make a BIG difference for my son! the gun will probably come in at 7 1/2 lbs with the scope and I believe he will be thrilled with recoil. and as stated, I can have an effect on the recoil with reloading also!!!!
He will still use the 25-06 in the bear stand!!!!!!!! To be honest, I think the .243 is a nifty little round also and it gives him a chance to coyote hunt with me. I almost went with a 7mm-08 but my middle son is a "runt" to put it nicely and I don't believe he will want to shoot the encore. He is a lot like me when I was his age, especially in size!!!! (good kid though;)) God Bless.

davidlt89

rifle came in yesterday!!! I am very satisfied! looks to be a nice little rifle. all together with shipping and tax the grand total was 304.00!!!! Fits my son like a glove. Here are a few pics.

God Bless.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

Thats a nice looking rifle, cant wait to hear how your son likes shooting it.   I hope to hear about some half inch groups soon!  As far as that stock goes, some green and brown paint would do wonders, but I know how you like the black plastic look, so it's probably just fine for you as is.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

QuoteAs far as that stock goes, some green and brown paint would do wonders, but I know how you like the black plastic look, so it's probably just fine for you as is.
I does like my plastic!!!! but I agree it would look good painted!!!! I just have to find the right person for the job!!!
right now I will concentrate on getting a set of warne rings for it. God Bless.

gitano

Rockinbbar has a thread illustrating how he painted one of his AR-15s. You might contact him for some ideas.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gemihur

Beautiful bolt action there, David, and .243 Win is an excellent cartridge!
A great stock refinisher here stateside is DrHoward1955 on TC Encore classifieds:
http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/
He's renowned for his speckled wispy patterns on durable rynite furniture.
As Brithunter said the lines of the TC break-actions is somewhat off-putting to some but I find it of a gothic nature, even Nouveau.
I dig shaping wood also.

Plus the ease of carrying a pistol that shoots like a rifle is an asset.
Recoil is mitigated much easier in the handgun platform where the wrists and elbows act as McPherson struts to the backthrust.
Thanks,
Jimmy

Tags: