ANOTHER VW Bus

Started by kombi1976, March 29, 2009, 06:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

This weekend didn't start all that well.
Work hassles right at the end of the day on Friday had left me pretty jacked off and so I went home pretty down in the mouth.
Since my 1400km round trip to Melbourne last weekend attend the '09 VW Jamboree I've been itching to get another early Bus to be my next project.
My missus had heard in a round about way that there was an old one on a farm and so we headed out at about 3:30pm for the measurable drive in our '67 VW Panel to see if it was there.
When we arrived it was partly visible from the driveway but I wasn't sure.
The owner was impressed with the Panel and said it was fine so we wandered down through the paddocks and, sure enough, it was there.
It was very old and very rusty but certain attributes immediately struck me as making it a really old model, certainly earlier than our Panel.
So I went back up and told the owner I was extremely interested and would like to take it off her hands.
She checked with her husband but he wasn't interested and left it up to her.
She said they weren't attached to it and so she'd check out eBay and ring me back.
I was pretty high strung all Saturday night but I relaxed on Sunday and after church headed out to the rifle range for a working bee and the monthly meet afterward.
The warm weather was lovely and informal rimfire silhouette comp we had after testing centrefire loads was cathartic.
I returned home and only about half an hour later the phone rang and it was the owner.
I won't say the price but it was very good.
I wasted no time in getting back there yesterday arvo, paying for it and getting a receipt.
Of course, good is relative.
It has no motor, no seats, no drivers door, no rear apron, no glass, no lights, the cabin and cargo area floors are rusted through as are the sills on both sides, the steps, the doglegs, the wheel arches and the gutters in spots on both sides, the roof is pushed in at the back and there are lots of layers of house paint on it.
And where there isn't house paint there is plenty of surface rust and lichen.
But then this Bus isn't going to be a show pony or a trailer queen.
Somewhere under there is some original paint which tends to be almost bullet proof and I'll strip it back to that and then buff it like mad until it shines like a penny in a chimney sweep's ear.
The surface rust will stay and I'll hit it with Anchor Wax to stop it from rusting further.
Then it's a disc brake conversion and lowering for the front, IRS suspension, larger drum brakes and custom gearbox for the back and a Subaru 2.5l motor to be installed for plenty of power and ultimately aircon.
This bus will also get TONS of sound damping to make it comfortable to ride in.
My '67 Panel is comfy enough but the road noise is bad and on long trips I've even considered wearing earplugs although I haven't done so yet.
After asking some friends on an early VW Bus forum it turns out it's a '55 11 Window Microbus!
Even I didn't think it was that early.
But for the moment the trick will be finding another driver's door for it.
Maybe it's floating around the farm but I wouldn't even know where to start looking.
The woman I bought it from said it has been there since they bought the farm 18 yrs ago and they suspect it was parked there in the '70s!
Apparently it was "hippy" bus and used that way.
Poor thing - hippies may've thought they were saving the world but between them and surfers they sent a whole legion of nice VW Buses to rusty, run-down doom. :mad:
You've gotta admit that muscle cars were at least saved that indignity.
Here's a little pic to whet your appetites.
More when the '55 is safe at home.
I'm paranoid about that sort of thing and I think for good reason.

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

22hornet

Another project! :eek:

With all your kids, rifles and hunting trips and the Landie how do you find the time? Or more to the point, How will you find the time?

Seriously though, if it works out OK then good luck.

Hassles at work? Don't you work with kids? So what could possibly go wrong?:rolleyes:

How was the Melbourne trip? Any pics of other VW's?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

kombi1976

Yeah, another project.
But my 2 Country Buggies are going.
I was initially liked them but got cold feet and wouldn't have bought them only that the missus insisted.
Now, with the '55 here I have the one project I've always wanted....a really early model 11 Window Bus that is quite special.
It's missing alot of bits but the stuff that isn't there is, for the most part, easy to come by.
The stuff that IS there is quite amazing....stuff I've never seen before, some of it.
I'll explain more when I post the pics.
The reason I've only posted the little one is that when people see pics they sometimes can sus out where it is and before you know it you're guzumped.
The owners seem very reputable and trustworthy but, well, it pays to be careful.
I want to get out there tomorrow and bring it home, especially since daylight saving ends on Saturday.
It just depends on helpers.
My rifles and hunting trips will take a rest for at least 3 or 4 months now as the missus is due to have No4 in late May, 2 or 3 days after the VW Nationals weekend actually.
I've instructed her that if she feels like she's going into labour she has to cross her legs and hold on until the Monday afterwards. :D
Also, my baby-bonus rifle will be put off for a few months to see if prices go down and generally to see if we can keep financial for a little while.
New Ruger No1s were $1340 6 months back and now they're $1570 so a little wait won't kill me, especially when I'm stuck at home.
More time to work on the '55.
Although you need to keep in mind that over Easter we're moving out of our house and renting close by because it's being extended over the next 6 to 7 months.
They're demolishing some old weatherboard extensions at the back and pulling the entire roof off then extending it another metre further back than it is presently in double brick, putting an A-shaped roof on and doing an attic conversion to create another bedroom, ensuite and 7m x 4m living area with balcony as well.
Complicated, right?
So the '55 is a LONG term project.
My '67 took 8 years to finish and I can't see the '55 taking a lot less.
I'd like to do a car resto course in Canberra like they do at Ultimo TAFE and I should save myself some dosh in that although much of the car will be repair panels.
The roof will be the real challenge and some bits will have to be done by a panel guy.
Unfortunately the hassles at work had to do with staff dynamics.
Let's say some people are REALLY cliquey and insular. :mad:
If you're interested in VW pics from the trip I'll do a thread on that too.
The trip to Melbourne was, well, all I'd hoped for and more.
It's not often that something lives up to and betters your anticipation but it did. :2thumbsup:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

recoil junky

Ah, another project kombi. Looks like you'll have a bit of work to do to that one. The Suby engine souds intriging indeed. I can't say as I know a lot about boxer engines, so I'll take yer word for it.

Wonder if a 351W would fit backwards in there :biggthumpup:.

Good luck old bean, finding the door might be  bugger. Hopefully it's floating around a paddock som'ere's and you can get yer paws on it. Not the paddock  full of poo, I hope

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

kombi1976

Quote from: recoil junkyAh, another project kombi. Looks like you'll have a bit of work to do to that one.
No, ya think? :greentongue:

Quote from: recoil junkyThe Suby engine souds intriging indeed. I can't say as I know a lot about boxer engines, so I'll take yer word for it.
The Subie motor is an obvious conversion in my mind, so long as you can find an effective and aesthetically inoffensive location for the radiator/s.
And it's a no brainer......standard off the factory floor a 2.5l EJ25 produces 150hp and a '50s Bus weighs under a ton.
Ok, so chuck in seats and passengers and the weight goes up but compared to modern cars that's pretty good power to weight.
Quote from: recoil junkyWonder if a 351W would fit backwards in there :biggthumpup:.
You can laugh but it has been done before, although not to these old girls.
If they fitted V8s in these they usually mid mounted them in the cargo area.
There was a Panel getting around the USA with a 454 in it that had tubbed rear arches and 10" rims on the back.
There's another that's a salt lake racer with a similar set up but has been chopped as well.
 Of course, complete heresy but certainly powerful.
Quote from: recoil junkyGood luck old bean, finding the door might be  bugger. Hopefully it's floating around a paddock som'ere's and you can get yer paws on it. Not the paddock  full of poo, I hope
Horses equals poo and there are a fair number of horses on the property.
Hopefully it's about although I have some leads from so other guys too so the outlook is still good if I can't find it.
Cheers & God Bless

davidlt89

good deal Andy, I look forward to seeing the transformation!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

I'm sure with a remote mounted radiator/s you'll be looking at electric fans. The raddiator in my youngest son's Legacy isn't all that big so I can't imagine you having much trouble finding a good location in the bus. I'm going to put one in the Mustang, but I have to do some more research before I decide on which one.

Is that 2.5 fuel injected? Must be if it's turning out 150 hp. I sense a super charger and bigger injectors. :D

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

kombi1976

Quote from: davidlt89good deal Andy, I look forward to seeing the transformation!!!! God Bless.
Thanks Dave......so do I.
They're a really practical resto, being able to take up to 9 people depending on the number of seats you put in, and they also make great campers.
Pre-68 "split-screen" Buses are also worth a stack more than early Beetles in almost every sense.
Quote from: recoil junkyI'm sure with a remote mounted radiator/s you'll be looking at electric fans. The raddiator in my youngest son's Legacy isn't all that big so I can't imagine you having much trouble finding a good location in the bus. I'm going to put one in the Mustang, but I have to do some more research before I decide on which one.
The radiators made today are quite excellent and most buses like mine which have water-cooled conversions have their radiators mounted underneath where there is plenty of airflow and no aesthetic impact.
They also have thermo fans as you suggest.
Quote from: recoil junkyIs that 2.5 fuel injected? Must be if it's turning out 150 hp. I sense a super charger and bigger injectors....
Yep, it certainly is EFI, but I'll be sticking with the factory setup and computer.
Self balancing and tuning and no emissions problems or the like when I have to get an engineer's certificate to register it.

What you guys can do is pray for me that moving it this arvo goes well.
It rained last night and has drizzled today for period and I want to move the bus before the ground gets too sodden.
A mate from work is helping.
Just pray there are no problems....... :undecided:
Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

A good tug from the Yank tank would ger 'er out, but the cost of fuel to get down there would be a killer! I'd need more than 3 or 4 fuel stops. The Landy should have no troubles tugging it out though.

RJ

kombi1976

Absolutely.
In low range the Landy could pull the teeth out of a bear through it's behind!
Getting the snatch strap up and there and secured would be another task altogether but the Landy is a good vehicle.
I even bought a new camera to take footage.
Will post pics of the removal and the arrival home.
Now......PLEASE God stop that rain, just until dark. :angel:
Cheers & God Bless

kombi1976

As it turned out the rain did stop and we had no rain for the entire job.
Mind you, the front nearside drum is stuck and getting it onto the trailer was almost impossible.
Some pics tomorrow.
Cheers & God Bless

kombi1976

Here's where it was:

Here are some pics of the Bus now at home:

Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

I love the combination boot and hood latch. :D

It does have a certain appeal, doesn't it. Another great find kombi. Not much rust that I can see, unless that's a bit down by the right rear tyre. Or it could be poo. :o

RJ

kombi1976

These are VERY kind photos.
It's a case of "spot the metal" in this baby rather than spot the rust.
There is so much rust and bondo in different spots I'll be interested to see how it is underneath.
The rust along the gutters in my major concern.
Having said that the body doesn't seem warped and there doesn't seem to be much across the nose.
It SEEMS straight but you can never tell.......... :undecided:
Almost forgot, the passenger front door is stuck and I can't open it.
More fun! :rolleyes:
Cheers & God Bless

kombi1976

Now, here is the reality of the rust......
Driver's step and side bumper mount:

Cab floor driver's side:

Driver's side dogleg:

Driver's side sills:

Driver's side roof above B-pillar:

And roof above windows:

Passenger step and bumper mount:

Passenger dogleg:

Rust hole in bottom of cargo door:

Rust hole in roof above passenger B-pillar:

Rust above cargo doors:

Rust in A-pillar passenger side:

Rust in floor and sills next to cargo doors:

Seen enough?
And you haven't seen how dinged the roof is.
A donor roof looks like the only way for this one.
I'm going to be  doing a LOT of cutting. :cry:
I'm mad, right?:help: ;)
Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

So, that was rust I saw. Rats!! You do have alot of cutting to do. Ouch.

RJ

RatherBHuntin

Did he store that thing in the bay?  That's a lot of rust, looks like you have something to keep you busy a while, congrats.  I thought it was dry down there, all the rust surprises me.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

kombi1976

Quote from: recoil junky;91549So, that was rust I saw. Rats!! You do have alot of cutting to do. Ouch.

RJ
What??!!
There's rats there too??!! :eek: :D
It is pretty bad.
But you have to remember, RBH, this has been sitting in a field since the late 70s and it was over 20yrs old by then.
Cheers & God Bless

Alboy

Well those are pretty dismal BEFORE pics, keep us updated on the progress.:jumpingsmiley:

With your self proclaimed self-destructive tool use tendencies keep a running count on busted fingers and such.:oops:  

That way I won't feel so bad.:yes:
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

kombi1976

Today a mate and his fiancee came down from Sydney to pick up the 2 VW Country Buggies he bought from me.
This gets them out of the backyard......a condition of buying the '55 Bus.
In the process of moving the CBs and having lunch with them he invited me to take the '55 up to Sydney to his father's workshop which is huge, has 10s of 1000s of dollars worth of tools and basically would help me do the body work.
Apparently he finds it difficult to motivate himself to go out to the workshop but when someone else is there he really enjoys it.
He could show me what to do and how to do it as he has done plenty of rust repairs himself.
He owns the blue '67 Panel in the Melbourne trip pics and it is rust free.
He also offered his trailer any time I needed it.
My missus was pleased to hear all of this and it looks like working on the '55 in Sydney is a real possibility.
Saves me spending stacks on tools and provides me with a real opportunity to learn how to do this right.
Cheers & God Bless

Alboy

How far of a run is it to Sydney in hours?
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

RatherBHuntin

An extra set of hands and experience is invaluable.  Good company is worth a fair bit as well.  I can't wait to see the after pics.  Have you thought about how long it will take to complete?  

Since your VW threads I notice everyone I see now, and wish everytime that I had a camera handy, you would love the pics.  I have seen some really nice one.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

kombi1976

Quote from: AlboyHow far of a run is it to Sydney in hours?
Two hours normally.......maybe as much as 3 with a trailer behind a Land Rover! :greentongue:
Quote from: RatherBHuntinAn extra set of hands and experience is invaluable. Good company is worth a fair bit as well. I can't wait to see the after pics. Have you thought about how long it will take to complete?
I really am not sure.
Hopefully within 4-5 years but it took us 8 to get my '67 Panel on the road.
Costs are as much a factor as time.
Quote from: RatherBHuntinSince your VW threads I notice everyone I see now, and wish everytime that I had a camera handy, you would love the pics. I have seen some really nice one.
Ahhh......your journey to the dark side is almost complete. :D
Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

Maybe these will get RBH back with the force.

OK, so there's one Chevy, what can I say :D  But it's for sale!!

RJ

kombi1976

Nah, being a Sith lord is fun. :D
Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

Sith kombi it is then. Your light sabre have ready when next we meet Hmmm? :stare:

:D RJ

OH shoot, I gotta get new batteries :o

RatherBHuntin

That Ford pickup is a beauty and would be a top notch truck for the boy in a year or two.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

kombi1976

Quote from: recoil junkyOH shoot, I gotta get new batteries :o
It always happens, doesn't it.
Just as I'm about to slash someone up to extend the evil imperial reign of the Sith the rotten things run out.
I'll tell ya, it's enough to make you want to give up and back to moisture farming on Tatooine some days! :rolleyes: :greentongue:
Cheers & God Bless

kombi1976

Here's the video of the retrieval of the '55 Bus.
For the first time you can see me in action.......a scary thought!  :undecided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYDS20Jr4aI

Btw, all the footage was shot with my little Nikon L18 Coolpix digital camera - AUD$140 at KMart!! :biggthumpup:
Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

First off, great video Sith kombi!!!!!!!!!!! Great you have good mates to help you.

Aren't those new digital camers great? I've got a Cannon powrershot that takes super pictures and not too bad of video.

That sheep rancher looks to be quite a character!. A really good bloke. A sheep carrier, great, hope there's not to any "pellets"
OR pig poo left in the baaaaaack :D

Ah bloody 'ell, stupid grinder, buggah!! I've used a fence post to tie to, to pull a car off a trailer before, but never a telegraph pole.

It's amazing that the tyres held air at all. After setting that long you'd think they'd be rotten. I'll bet they'll be just a pleasure to get off the rims. They are tubeless aren't they?

I got a kick out of the munchkins yelling "It's another kombi, another kombi!!! They sound pretty excited.

Great job Andy. I'll have to crack open a Blue Moon wheat ale to help you celebrate.  What kind of beer was that you were having?

RJ

Oh by the by, keep your hat on. Wouldn't want you to get your topknot sun burned :o.  :D

kombi1976

Quote from: recoil junky;92469First off, great video Sith kombi!!!!!!!!!!! Great you have good mates to help you.
Yeah, Ash, the guy who edited this was really good.
He's just scored a contract to project manage something for Sony BMG here in Oz.
And Thady, my work mate, has just started working at our school and is a top guy.
He bought a Subaru Impreza WRX (All Wheel Drive 2.5l turbo) over the hols so it's cool having the other music teacher being a young guy into cars.
The last fella, Chris, who helped me push it into the yard, is up for most things, helped move the Country Buggys when I brought them home, and is also into hunting.
So the cast and
crew were a top bunch.
Quote from: recoil junky;92469Aren't those new digital camers great? I've got a Cannon powrershot that takes super pictures and not too bad of video.
The Nikon is freakin amazing for the price.
It comes with a lead that will link the camera straight to the TV and the picture quality is astounding.
I just need to work out how to minimise wind noise.
Quote from: recoil junky;92469That sheep rancher looks to be quite a character!. A really good bloke. A sheep carrier, great, hope there's not to any "pellets" OR pig poo left in the baaaaaack :D
Mike is a real individual.
When I met him and shook his hand it was momentary as he was moving at a pace and concentrating on something else.
I think the interview with him was the first time I've seen him stand still!
Quote from: recoil junky;92469Ah bloody 'ell, stupid grinder, buggah!! I've used a fence post to tie to, to pull a car off a trailer before, but never a telegraph pole.
Well, needs must and there were no fence posts around but the telegraph pole was perfect. :biggthumpup:
Quote from: recoil junky;92469It's amazing that the tyres held air at all. After setting that long you'd think they'd be rotten. I'll bet they'll be just a pleasure to get off the rims. They are tubeless aren't they?
That has to be the most freakish part of the entire thing.
I don't don't know what they have inside them, although I suspect it was run on the cheap so most were fixed with inner tubes at some point.
But the one that held 28psi was the most chewed up old retread you've ever seen!
Between being flat and the rim weighing down on it, the simple deterioration of moisture and exposure to the sun and the poor quality of it in the first place it's a miracle it worked at all.

Quote from: recoil junky;92469I got a kick out of the munchkins yelling "It's another kombi, another kombi!!! They sound pretty excited.
I did tell you.....they LOVE Kombis.
Quote from: recoil junky;92469Great job Andy. I'll have to crack open a Blue Moon wheat ale to help you celebrate.  What kind of beer was that you were having?
I'm pretty sure it was Coopers Sparkling Ale.
Quote from: recoil junky;92469Oh by the by, keep your hat on. Wouldn't want you to get your topknot sun burned :o.  :D
And now you know why I need a big hat to wear. :undecided:
Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

You'll never see me without some sort of cover either. If you do, I'm either indoors or changing "covers".

:army: :hat:  :indian_chief:   :clown:   :bandana:      :toff:     :chef:          :grin:

I'm glad the tykes are into kombis as well. Gives  them lots of opportuinty to learn and bonus time with the old man. Seems to me I've seen pictures of your missus rendering aide as well. Good show mate!

RJ

kombi1976

Quote from: recoil junky;92493You'll never see me without some sort of cover either. If you do, I'm either indoors or changing "covers".

:army: :hat:  :indian_chief:   :clown:   :bandana:      :toff:     :chef:          :grin:
I've got a few too but the cowboy hat is the most practical.
Sometimes people say "Did you leave your horse outside?" or "It's not that sunny....aren't you going over the top?"
And I reply "You have hair - I don't, so I'll wear any hat I like to make sure I don't need a life membership at the skin cancer clinic when I'm 50."
There's no lack of people willing to make jokes at my expense for being bald but that tends to shut them up.
Quote from: recoil junky;92493I'm glad the tykes are into kombis as well. Gives  them lots of opportuinty to learn and bonus time with the old man.
The boys love Kombis.
That's why we bought them the '70 Bus in the backyard to be a playhouse.
It'll go back on the road eventually in time for Bryn, our 5 yr old, to drive.
That give me about 10 yrs or so to do it and the '55 although the '70 should be tons easier.
Much less rust, all the panels, simple drive train.
Actually we'll lower it a bit but I want it to stay pretty ratty.
Quote from: recoil junky;92493Seems to me I've seen pictures of your missus rendering aide as well. Good show mate!
She sure does.
She was laying under the '67 helping me fix the starter motor when she was 10 weeks pregnant! :D
Actually, she deserves the credit for finding the '55.
She was doing some chores around town and 2 guys wandered up to admire the Panel.....there usually is a couple guys everywhere like that.
And one says to the other "Hey, Mike's got one of these on his farm, hasn't he? You should go and check it out."
So she asked a few questions round town and worked out where it was.
As a result we made the fateful journey to find it!

Y'know how everything seems good and then you find out you have to spend money again? :(
Well, we drove down to a show today and the car was running rough at times, particularly in the 2000rpm to 2700rpm rev range, which is unfortunate as this is where it does a lot of its work.
It has been throwing a lot of oil around the engine bay and we thought a good breather box would stop it pushing oil out onto the fan belt pulley.
It hasn't, in fact it's dropping more if possible.
I spoke with Steve Muller, the fellow who restored the car, at the show today.
When he found out it made no difference he said I've probably cracked a compression ring and the blow-by (for want of a better term) is pushing the pressure up in the case and pushing oil out.
It must've been cracked for a while and is probably safe enough to drive on a little longer but the missus is due in about 4 weeks and we NEED a reliable car to drive up until she gives birth and when the new baby comes home.
So the motor will have to be pulled and, if it is the ring, all four cylinders will get new barrels, pistons and rings (thank goodness you don't have to strip them like a water cooled motor!).
I'll go up a size from 85.5mm pistons to 87mm as they don't require extra machining.
That increases the capacity from 1584cc to 1641cc and should see some more power, not the mention stop it dropping oil and recover the loss of power we are currently suffering.
On top of that the gearbox needs reconditioning as reverse has had it and if the motor has to come out and be done the gearbox may as well be done at the same time.
It'll be nice not to have to clean up the engine bay all the time and to be able to back up a slope without holding the gearstick in reverse. :undecided:
Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

Andy, while I'm not bald, my hair on top is very thin!! :D

My missus tends to stay away when I'm in my shop, but she does come out and render aide if I go in and get her. My latest trick was to call the "house" phone from my cell. That really got her attention because she thought I was hurt and couldn't make it to the house.

Note to self: DO NOT call the house from the shop on personal cell phone. Wife gets very upset. Does not remotely think above circumstances are the least bit funny.

Oooh bugger, a cracked ring can cause a lot of havoc in a V or inline engine and I can only surmise what it would cause in a boxer engine. Blow by is indeed the correct term at least to a Yank. The usual cause in my proffesion is somebody being over zealous with the ether during a cold weather start (diesel engine) and the piece of equipment didn't get the engine heater plugged in.

I have seen a few compression rings that lost their "spring" and collapsed, leaving the same results. :undecided: Oil consumption goes way up and usually that hole goes pretty much dead. A guy can give  the dead hole a bit of life by putting in the next step (or 2) hotter plug. It will help by not fouling so fast and help burn the extra oil getting into that cylinder. While it won't cure the problem you might get some of the power back and it should run better in the RPM range you were descibing.

RJ

kombi1976

Gee, now why would your missus be unhappy when you faked an emergency?
 Can't work it out myself? :undecided:  :D

I'm convinced there's a lot more power to be got from that motor when it's fixed.
It was a second hand motor and although it had only done 20.000km when I picked it up it sat for about 6 years and there's every chance some condensation got into the bores.
It didn't drop oil to begin with but it was after one particularly big rev overtaking a semi down a hill that it began to drop oil.
That was probably when it started having problems.
It tends to be worst when it's cold and maybe it seals better when the motor warms up.
When we get the extra 57cc and full power from all cylinders it should spin like a top and really be much better.
I spoke to the mechanic today and I'll leave it in Sydney on Sunday 24th after the Show & Shine of the VW Nationals.
He's lending me a dual cab VW Transporter Pickup while it gets fixed.
I'd like it earlier as Catriona is due the week following the Nationals and he's going to call me if it can happen earlier but I'm not holding my breath.
There are other cars that need finishing for the Nationals and mine can still limp it in, grubby and oily as it is.
Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

Butbutbut, I didn't do it to "fake an emergency", she just took it that way.  :oops:  

I've seen engines let go in a similar manner. I've gotten so I won't try to pass any body with the '93 Buick. It's got 255k miles on it and I don't want to tempt fate. It still doesn't burn much oil. I think it leaks more than it burns, about a quart every oil change.

The Subie engine smokes a bit after it sets for a day or two. I attribute that to having 150k on it. The father-in-law said it's done that for several years, but that the Subie mechanic they took it to said "no worries". It still has good compression and doesn't even use a 1/2 qt. of oil between changes. Must be a boxer engine thing after they get a few miles on them. I use 20W50 oil in it in the summer and switch back to 10W30 in the winter. Seems to help on the smoking a bit. No plug fouling as yet.

I'm sure you'll let us know on the progress of both the engine and the new babe. :biggthumpup:

RJ

gitano

Great video! Look forward to the sequels.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Thanks, Paul.
When the motor on my '67 Panel is fixed and I can finally properly degrease the engine bay as well I'll take some footage of it and make up a vid.
That way you can see what I drive everyday.
Cheers & God Bless

22hornet

G reat footage Kombi! :biggthumpup:

Its amazing what a snatch strap and abit of grunt can do!

I think your kids were more excited than you to get another kombi in the yard.

:MOGRIN:   (For your kids)
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

kombi1976

They really do like Kombis.
Now you know where my username comes from. ;)
Cheers & God Bless

Tags: