Standard Cartridge Series - 223 Remington

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 10, 2004, 07:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Off and on over the years I've owned rifles for this cartridge. The only one I have access to now is my son's Ruger bolt action. I'm neither hot nor cold on this cartridge...perhaps you have stronger feelings?

NUMBERFARMER

I have no real desire to own a 223 but I have helped some people get set up with them.  It is a great cartridge if you don't want to reload.  There is a wide availability of good ammo.  My son has a 223 that I load for.  He gets very good results from H4895 and 55 grain Sierra bullets. I personally use a 222 Rem Mag and really enjoy it.  The 223 does have a lot to offer and more and more people are loading lighter bullets at higher speeds for flatter trajectories.  The 40 grain bullets can be propelled at some pretty amazing speeds considering the case size.  I have found that loads that are mild in factory cases can develop high pressures in surplus cases.

CAfrica

Never had a particular liking for this cartridge. No reason and I don't need one do I.

I own a 22 hornet and a 220 Swift which covers my needs for centrefire 22s.

Jay, that is not a good picture of the 223, in that drawing it looks as if it is a rimmed case.

The 223 has definitely made a big dent in 222 sales and is probably the best of the midrange 22's. Availability of military cases is probably a big factor.

C

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: CAfricaJay, that is not a good picture of the 223, in that drawing it looks as if it is a rimmed case.  C
[/size]

You're right about the image...I went back to Cartridges Of The World (9th Edition) and it does indeed show a 'rimmed' cartridge.  As you can see I modified it in my graphics program to look correct.

Also, I'm having a little difficulty with 'file size'.  This is affecting the quality of the image but sooner or later I'll get it ironed out.

Why did you settle on the Swift C?

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Jay Edward said--

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
........perhaps you have stronger feelings?

NUMBERFARMER said--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
.......I have no real desire to own a .223.....................

CAfrica said--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
.......Never had a particular liking for this cartridge. No reason
.......and I don't need one do I.

For Jay................YOU BETCHA!!!!

For NF.................UNFORTUNATE but perfectly OK!

For CA.................WHAT A SHAME and no you don't need a reason.

Rather that repeat what I have written under the .218 Bee thread I just have this to add--

If the opportunity presents itself....Try out the CZ527 Varmint model and the C Daly Mini-Mauser rifles in this caliber......compare costs of brass available..........If anything will change your mind, these two rifles and the cost to reload will..!

I rest my case..............for the time being..

Ol' John (somewhat perplexed of my fellow amigos attitudes--but that's OK too!)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

NUMBERFARMER

What can I say, its just my nature.  I fell in love with a totally obsolete cartridge that ourperforms the 223 by about 125 fps.  I took a 223 in 111 savage, put a different trigger in it and a different stock that is bedded and totally free floated. Just for giggles and kicks I shot 5 shot groups out of the rifle that were almost always under one inch at 100 yards and then rechambered it to 222 Remington Mag.  The groups are about 25% smaller, the neck is slightly longer, and the velocity is slightly higher. Nothing wrong with the 223, I just can't draw myself away from the 222 RM.  It is really amazing when you combine heavy bullets with the 1 in 9 twist.

CAfrica

Quote from: Jay Edward

Why did you settle on the Swift C?
Jay,

Actually I obtained this rifle from a friend in a swop.  Only after receiving it did I notice that it is a Winchester Model 70 (pre 64).  

I didn't really look for a 220 Swift but once I had it I spent time on developing loads for it and came to love it.

I load 40gr monolithics at 4300ft/s and it is dynamite on smaller game. It also produces excellent accuracy with the right loads.

So I would call this an aincidental acquisition that turned out well.

regards.

C

Tags: