Cammo in the field

Started by JaDub, August 26, 2009, 07:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

I know certain animals are color blind.  Are Elk or deer in this catagory ??   In general,  are there certain patterns that might be better than others.  I`m not looking for commercials here, just general sugestions.  We here in Colorado must wear a required amount of blaze orange.   Why spend a fortune on cammo gear when I gotta wear orange ??:undecided:   JaDub

Daryl (deceased)

They're color blind, but they'll see the brightness of the blaze orange.  Not much you can do with the legal obligation to show it except stay behind some brush or something.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

recoil junky

As long as you don't move alot to attract attention to yourself when an elk can see you, camo is not realy neccessary. That being said, I've come to the conclusion, that if you are wearing "blaze orange" and make the mistake of moving while a herd of oh, 100 elk are watching you, chances are you just blew it.

My camo of choice, worn under the required orange is Prairie Ghost. Looks alot like sagebrush. I got it mainly for sneeking around with my camera to get pictures of deer and elk close-up, but the 6 pocket pants prooved to be pretty handy. It's also quiet in the oakbrush.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Fieldmor77

I was watching a video the other day of some blokes stalking deer, and they were wearing bright orange vests, i thought, thats strange!. Maybe it was filmed in Colorado?.

Jamie.270

Blaze orange has become the standard requirement for many states.  Personally, I think the blaze camo would still be better than a plain vest if allowed / in lieu of.  At least it would help break up the human outline with the color pattern(s).
Back when, as horse hunters we used to tie blaze or red or chartreuse ribbon all over the horses during elk and deer seasons to keep the "under educated" from taking a pot shot at them when in the field.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Fieldmor77

Quote"under educated"

We dont come across so many of them since the new firearms laws came into effect, which is a positive i guess.

22hornet

We have to wear an article of blaze orange when hunting in state forests. I wear a camo blaze orange hat, as do most hunters I know.

Got to say that I felt like a goose at first but now I always wear the hat, as do my mates that I hunt with, even if we are just going around on private land. Make it much easier to see each other. Never had any trouble with the animals seeing my blaze camo hat.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

jesusgecko

Don't know about elk,  but it doesn't seem to bother our reds.  I think it is more movement that bothers them.

However,  there has still been the odd person shot even WITH blaze orange on them.  Not too far off a red deer's summer coat I read the other day.  My theory though - if someone wants to see a deer,  they will see a deer.
Normality is for the weak.

Fieldmor77

Agreed J G, my hunting outfits consist of old jeans and t. shirts with an old jumper if it's cool, working with the wind and stealth are more important.

bowhunter 51

Here in West Tennessee, we have to wear 500 sq. inches of blaze-orange
on our heads & upper body during muzzle-loader & gun, big game season.
No matter if your small game hunting...I prefer the camo blaze-orange
hat and upper body vest or coat....not required during archery only...BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

TackyDriver

Quote from: Daryl;95962They're color blind, but they'll see the brightness of the blaze orange.
Daryl

I agree. They can still detect light/dark. Also shapes. I've seen blaze orange camo with black tiger stripes. That might break up your shape, visually. Is that kind of camo permitted in those states where blaze orange is required? I think texture is probably as important. The ghillie suit is an extreme example but I've seen pictures of the ASAT line of camo that seems to be a little more practical.

Another thing I wanted to learn about is some stuff I've read about Milspec and some commercial lines of camo that don't use "color brightners" in the color dye, because it reflects UV. Though human eyes don't see light in these wavelengths, deer and other animals are supposed to be able to, as well as military electro-optical sensors tuned to those wave lengths. I'm wary of snake oil salesmen and try to resist the temptation to buy technology as a substitute for expertise.

If you look at hunting photos of Howard Hill and Fred Bear, their "camo" was usually plaid woolen shirts and jeans. I agree with Fieldmor and Jamie, no matter what you wear you have to be careful with wind direction, noise and movement. Personally, I'd rather wear orange and miss a trophy, than be shot at. The orange is also useful in (knock on wood) Search and Rescue situations.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

JaDub

The Division of Wildlife here in Colorado frown heavily on `patterened` blaze orange. They claim that the square inch requirement is heavily effected.  That said I`d have to laugh out loud if I saw an officer `measuring` square inches.  8-))

I always notice on TV hunting shows that while the client is wearing `the ultimate cammo` re.$$$$$$,   the guide is usually wearing blue jeans. Go figure............:confused:
  JaDub

Brasco20

In MT we also have to have 500 sq inches of blaze orange.  I dont mind, if its going to save my skin.  In archery season we can wear all camo.  I use realtree patters, not cause it is the best, just looked like a good pattern when i bought my first set of camo, and have stuck with it.  I definatly dont wear jeans, not because of the color, but if you walk through tall grass after a rain, your legs will be soaked.  I hate getting wet, especially if its cold out.  I like to wear pants that have a gortex liner.  They are a bit spendy, but they keep me dry.  

Brasco

gitano

QuoteI'm wary of snake oil salesmen and try to resist the temptation to buy technology as a substitute for expertise.:biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:

If you look at hunting photos of Howard Hill and Fred Bear, their "camo" was usually plaid woolen shirts and jeans.
Eggzackly!

QuoteI definatly dont wear jeans, not because of the color, but if you walk through tall grass after a rain, your legs will be soaked. I hate getting wet, especially if its cold out. I like to wear pants that have a gortex liner. They are a bit spendy, but they keep me dry
I agree, but I would rather wear rain chaps to protect the jeans from getting wet rather than Goretex. Not only is Goretex 'spendy' it also doesn't breathe nearly as well as advertized. I usually end up almost as wet from sweat as I would have with no wet protection at all. All my Goretex garments are 'closet queens' these days.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

I prefer wool pants myself.  Even if you're wet you're usually still warm.  They are quiet as well.  I have some Swedish(?) army pants that have a moisture barrier of some kind sewn in that are warm and toasty in the snow, and you don't get wet.  My pair of Sorels and maybe gaitors(sp?) and I'm set to go.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

recoil junky

Yup, woolies, even in September!!  :biggthumpup:  Those swedish pants are the bee's knees.

For boots in the snow I wear a very old and broken in pair of LaCrosse mountaineers with the airbob sole and wool pants tucked in, that  works well to keep the snow from climbing up your leg. They're good for horse back as well because they fit the stirrup nicely.

If I'm going to be sitting in the snow I've got an old wool  army blanket to keep my butt dry and to drape over my legs if'n I'm gonna be there a while.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

LvrLover

Nothing beats my (actually grandpa's first-were do you find pants that last 40 years anymore?) green wool pants and my red and black wool jacket to keep warm and quiet when moving in the woods. Of course we must wear at least 500 in of blaze too, so I made a vest of "fleece" material. In clothes for hunting I like"soft" stuff because its quiet. Only drawback to all this soft stuff is you MUST avoid burrs if at all possible or you will spend hours picking and brushing them out. As far as deer  seeing blaze orange, I don't think it jumps out at them like it does to us. I have a one piece all blaze coverall for the really cold days sitting in the stand and they don't ever see me- IF I HOLD STILL OR MOVE SLOWLY.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Brasco20

Paul, i agree about the gortex not breathing, but i never knew what else to try.  I have a cabelas camo rain jacket that is lined with "dry plus" and it doesnt work, so i bought some silicone waterproofing spray to put on it, hopefully that works.  As for the gortex making you sweat, i wear underarmour baselayer wich makes me sweat too, so either way, im sweatin!  Atleast the underarmour whicks it away.  After a few days at camp wearin the underarmour, without a shower, my legs get to itchin pretty good:biggthumpup:

As for the small burrs, with my bowhunting camo pants, im pickin those stickers off everytime i get into the truck.

Brasco

Brithunter

Quoteactually grandpa's first-were do you find pants that last 40 years anymore?)  

Errrr you can blame the accountants for that as they claim there is no profit is making stuff that lasts as you only sell it once. Make it more shoddily so it fails and falls apart you sell more :stare: however they don't think of those who will seach out alternatives becuse if I buy something that does not last as I feel it should I will never buy that product again and tell every one I know or come into contact with exactly how shoody it was. They not only lose my custom but at least several others.
Go Get them Floyd!

Jamie.270

I don't know if they hold up like they used to, but the original Duofolds were always our choice for undies in the cold.
Cotton on the inside and wool on the outside they were comfortable, they breathed and they were toasty!  Throw on a tee over that, a Pendleton over that and a sweater or down vest on top.  (Both if its 0* or worse)  They still make a "union suit" for those that like them.
As they day warms, the layers go in the day pack.

davidlt89

we have to wear two articles of flourescent orange during deer season. One on the head and one that completely covers the torso. My deer hunting jacket is thicker than a mattress since it tends to get rather chilly in maine during dear season. I do wear camo pants only for the fact that they are designated pants I can get blood on without my wife saying anything. I have been perfectly still and had deer really close. the orange does not seem to make any difference up here!!!! but if they see you move, the jig is up. I have a couple pair of the old wool pants and there is no substitute for them. Warm and quiet!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: