Busting bunnies in the wind

Started by branxhunter, September 30, 2013, 03:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

I decided to get out for a shot yesterday afternoon despite the wind. Down here in SW Vic we have had NW winds ranging from brisk to howling over the last few days.

I headed down to my rabbit patch near the coast with the Rem 700 .22-250 and the Sako .222. I was keen to stretch out the .222 with it's new 4-12x40 Lynx scope.

After the wet winter the dunes that make up the property were a rolling green carpet, the sun was out, and I had no timeline to keep so it was a very pleasant afternoon. While there wasn't heaps of rabbits there were enough to keep it interesting, with the wind ensuring that anything greater than 200m away was a challenge (I tend to headshoot for the pot), particularly for the .222. The .22-250 coped better with the wind and after I creamed a few with it I put it away.

[ATTACH]13423[/ATTACH]

It took me a little while to work out how much to dope the wind the .222 as it was difficult to spot the shot, however after a while I saw that holding around 3-4 inches into the wind was about spot on, but that I was allowing to much elevation and was shooting over the top.

Once I worked this out the last three long shots went 169m (two thirds grown rabbit, headshot), 187m (half grown kitten, bodyshot), 190m (half grown kitten, body shot). Locations are shown right to left in the photo below.

[ATTACH]13424[/ATTACH]

It wasn't until I was packing the rifle away that I realised that I hadn't readjusted the magnification on the scope after an earlier off-hand shot and the three rabbits were hit with the scope still set on 5x.....

End of the day realised 9 rabbits with 6 being headshot, so I was happy with the end result. They wer all absolutely crawling with fleas - one of them had the biggest patch of fleas on its ears I have ever seen.

[ATTACH]13425[/ATTACH]

Marcus

kombi1976

Nice shooting, Marcus. Anytime you get 1 or more I reckon the walk has been worth it. Great work with it set at 5x too.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

branxhunter

Bit embarrassing really - the reason I wanted a 4-12 scope was that I thought that the old fixed power 8x would be too low powered and a bit restrictive at long range (as well being too high powered when walking about and fox whistling).

Very happy with the Lynx scope though.

Marcus

kombi1976

Nah, nonsense, we all do unconscious stuff like that. And really that's the trick. You see a target and react to it immediately. It you're doing your part it should't matter if it's a 2.5x scope or a 20x scope. Certainly some of the most impressive shots in WW2 were shot using very low powered scopes and sniper teams these days would be using very powerful scopes in similar situations. The fact you still scored hits with it on 5x is proof of your marksmanship.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

I can attest firsthand to Marcus' marksmanship. He is an excellent shot.

Very cool, Marcus. What a beautiful place you have to hunt, and it is SO nice when one " had no timeline to keep".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Indeed. I have a write up from last night & I wish my aim had not been affected by magnification..... :oops:
Cheers & God Bless

kombi1976

Indeed. I have a write up from last night & I wish my aim had not been affected by magnification..... :oops:
Cheers & God Bless

branxhunter

Quote from: gitano;128238I can attest firsthand to Marcus' marksmanship. He is an excellent shot.

Very cool, Marcus. What a beautiful place you have to hunt, and it is SO nice when one " had no timeline to keep".

Paul

I think you flatter me a little beyond my true capabilities Paul. I do alright over a bipod, but need to practice a lot more from field positions and offhand. I'm a pretty poor judge of distance so flat shooting cartridges over moderate distances make it a bit easier.

I really admire all you guys out there who make the shots calling coyotes, chasing deer, stalking goats and the like.

Paul, you are not wrong on the the feeling of freedom when you are not time-bound. I probably only had a target every 15-30 minutes ( which is reasonably slow for down at the rabbit patch) but I loved very minute of it.

Marcus

Jorge in Oz

Nice write up Marcus and great shooting too dude. Nice patch for sure there and nice rifles to match.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

branxhunter

So when you coming down this way next????

Marcus

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: Branxhunter;128245So when you coming down this way next????

Marcus

Hey Marcus, I'm struggling at the moment just to get out in my own patch here let alone have to travel any time further. Bit hard with the young kids and the missus struggling a bit.

Thanks for the invite but I will get out there eventually. Keen on trying my 303-25 which shots nicely with the 87 grain pills.

I heard from someone that there are some red deer out Terang way. Not sure if this is correct.

Aparently where we are chasing Sambar deer at the moment, a cop that my mate spoke to who hunts in the area advised him that there are reds and fallow also in the area. So I'm hoping I come across any of them. I've seen Sambars there so I'm keen to get out soon especially now with daylight savings.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

kombi1976

Wow, Jorge. That sounds great. I hope you can get out amongst them soon.

I understand the issues with the wife & little kids. I find you've just gotta be firm with them, let em know who's boss. :greentongue:

Don't worry, you'll find time. Your kids are only young once.

It looks like I'll be heading down to a place near Bright in March to chase fallow and maybe sambar. I have to make a phone call or 2 but it's looking positive.
Cheers & God Bless

Alboy

Quote from: kombi1976;128346Wow, Jorge. That sounds great. I hope you can get out amongst them soon.[/COLOR]

I understand the issues with the wife & little kids. I find you've just gotta be firm with them, let em know who's boss. :greentongue:

Don't worry, you'll find time. Your kids are only young once.

It looks like I'll be heading down to a place near Bright in March to chase fallow and maybe sambar. I have to make a phone call or 2 but it's looking positive.
[/COLOR]

Kombi is right as I am the boss in my house. When I come in I tell my wife, in no uncertain terms, that I want her to sit down and rest I will do dinner and the dishes, no back talk out of her as yet and we have 35 years in the bank.:MOGRIN::2thumbsup:
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

kombi1976

Yep, its great being the boss. I just have to ask my wife for permission first. :D
Cheers & God Bless

Tags: