Deer Numbers Down

Started by recoil junky, July 24, 2017, 06:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

That has me more worried than deer numbers really. Elk numbers were just starting to come back here after the winter of '07-'08.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Elkhamr

It worries me too, they're so stressed and on edge from wolf pressure that breeding is interrupted  and I think alot of cows abort from stress.

Elkhamr

The other situation that's very upsetting, is the shoulder hunts for cow elk before and after the general season. They're being hunted when they're calves are 5 months old, then run to death during the general season and yet again into late January when they're pregnant again. They never get to rest and anyone that's spent anytime viewing elk can see the damage it's doing. My son and I have quit hunting Elk as of this year, I quit 4yrs ago. My 14yr old son can see where Elk hunting is headed and wants no part of it. On one hand, it's better people are eating the Elk instead of them becoming Wolf poo, but it's another stresser, at extremely sensitive times in their lives they can't handle!

sakorick

So what's the bounty on Wolves?
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Quote from: sakorick;148504So what's the bounty on Wolves?

Satisfaction? Like shooting feral cats?

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Elkhamr

That's the kicker, every piece is wildlife management area and winter range is closed to wolf hunting. The FW&P let's the wolves have free reign on the stressed out Elk on winter eanges etc. They've lost complete control of managing wolves. All the activists get in the way of any kind of legislation that would allow wolves to be shot on sight like a coyote or other predator.

Hunterbug

I may have to take a trip to RJ's and make the coyotes feel unwelcome. Bug will take that buck and I'd be happy for her, as long as it's smaller than the one I got last year.:D
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

As I texted HB, I had the Super Binoculars out a couple nights ago and with careful glassing :rolleyes: I was able to spot 6 fawns with four does and a NEW larger buck hanging out with them on huntable property. Deer are still scarce as hen's teeth and had I not been "whistle bit" last night at work I would have stopped to get water and fill a couple tanks to "slake" their thirst. I'm sure water is a problem and they are drinking out of the large pond a half mile or so up the road. Not that that is "far" for a deer to hike for water, but I'm sure it tastes nasty about now in the August heat.

RJ

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Elkhamr

Yes good you're seeing deer. The mature does are not coming to my yard anymore daily. Not sure where or why they've moved? Maybe they didn't like me calling them "Fat Momma" when they had their fawns down here?

recoil junky

Maybe they would like a more politically correct term like "Phat Momma"?

:MOGRIN: :MOGRIN:

Or some "bait" The Phat Mommas here like a mix of rolled oats, barley, corn and molasses for dessert after munching on my ASPEN TREES or a quick nip on my expansive yard. They were quite put out after I put the (4 foot) chain link fence back up and the (then two) fawns couldn't join them. Since the recent rains I've noticed (even though it might be my imagination)  the grass has greened up some.

RJ

Elkhamr

They were old bags with split ears, sides bulging like Hefers . They were FAT...not PHAT...lmao!!!

recoil junky

Quote from: sakorick;148476 They still have spots right?

Yes they still have spots but in another month they will begin to fade and by late October they will be totally gone as their winter hair grows in.

I will definitely miss Grampa Dale this year. His sharp wit and hunting stories are always entertaining.

Next year he will draw a tag .

RJ

Hunterbug

Quote from: recoil junkyI will definitely miss Grampa Dale this year. His sharp wit and hunting stories are always entertaining.

Next year he will draw a tag .

RJ

We were all pretty bummed that he didn't draw. The girls were looking forward to hunting with him.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

These guys showed up and have been hanging around since hey have "fresh city water" to drink.

A "nothing fancy" 4X4 and a WIDE and HEAVY 3X2.

RJ

Tags: