Standard Cartridge Series - .270 Winchester

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 28, 2004, 08:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swede

If you are looking for aheavier bullet nosler has a 160 grain bullet.

Hunterbug

Barnes also offers a 180gr Origional but it's a RN, not really a reach out type bullet.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

CAfrica

HB,

I think that should be Barnes "used to" produce that bullet.  They have discontinued a number of the "Original" bullets. Their latest catalogue no longer lists an original under the 270 calibre.

I used their 250gr original in my 30-06 but this has also been discontinued.

You are right that these are not "reach out" bullets, they are primarily for close work and as a result of the lower velocities, you get much reduced meat damage in close hunting situations. My 250gr 30-06 bullets leave the Muzzle at "only" 2100ft/s.  I now use a local 250gr bullet which I prefer over the Barnes.  The Barnes original is prone to jacket core separation.  The local bullet has a bonded core.  It also has a profile which allows me to seat it further out whereas the Barnes doesn't allow that.

C

Hunterbug

CAfrica, you are correct. I was just looking at my Barnes reloading manual and it still listed the 180gr Origional. They still make a few but most have been discontinued.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

NUMBERFARMER

Actually the 180 grain bullet is the one I was referring to.  It is no barn burner, but for certain situations it is very effective.  I guess I like speed, but I like the heavy bullets too.  They both seem to have their place of use.

klallen

Never did like the .270 Win much.  Same category as the '06, as far as I'm concerned.  To "old school".  To many folks saying ya GOTTA have one.  To "middle-of-the-road", as performance goes.

Bought myself one a while back.  Rifle it came in really caught my eye but thought it would be educational to work with the round from the reloading bench, too.  Been hunting with it.  I feel pretty much the same.  Love the rifle, but when I grab something to go hunting with, the .270's left behind 9 times out of 10.  Not because it doesn't work.  It's never failed me in the field.  I've just got other things that     ...     move me more then the .270 does  ;o)  .  Later.  >>  klallen

M1Garand

Let me guess you're one of those guys who overkills deer and bought into the marketing strategy and picked up one of the new 300 WSM, SAUM, Ultra mag magnums because you suddenly felt undergunned?

klallen

Never bought into the term overkill. The '06 fit the popular definition of the term back in the old days when the .30-30 was all you needed to hunt deer. Today the magnums are labeled as such for the same reason. No matter when it's been used, it's been nothing more then a catch phrase by the minimalist cartridge supporters. It's just a term of convenience, meaning nothing. As such, I don't mind when folks use it.

I hunt deer with cartridges that give me what I want, performance wise. That's pretty much the long and short of it. This most certainly does include the .300 magnums (and a large one at that) but also the .264 magnums, .284 magnums, .358 magnums. But it does not exclude things like the .25-06, .280 Ack. Imp., .307 Win. ... handgun cartridges like the .375 SuperMag, .44 RemMag, .454 Casull. In other-words, I'm not what you'd call a one dimensional hunter.  That said, when I hit the field wanting to carry something performance minded, it isn't a standard cartridge that I'm carrying. Take care. >> klallen

M1Garand

Sorry to disagree with you and I realize that everyone has their favorite rifles, but a 300 magnum is overkill on deer. They are not hard to kill when you choose your shots well and place them accordingly. There may be situations where a 300 mag is more suited but about the only reason I can think of is if you're shooting deer at extreme ranges and even then, how many hunters have the skill to make a clean kill at 600 yards? If you shoot well with your 300 mag, then that's great, more power to you. Just IMO, for general deer hunting, it's overkill and a 30-06 is the upper limit of power needed for a deer in most situations. That and any number of calibers has the performance that will kill a deer just as dead at 300 yards as any of the 300 super-marketed-mags. Most also shoot them better.

klallen

No need appologizing. You have your thoughts. I've mine. I might think you're completely wrong, but I won't hold that against ya.

One thing I don't care for, though, is when folks take it upon themselves to tell others what is and is not needed for hunting. Always seemed to me a bit foolish for one to assume himself the almighty decider on what should and should not be used while hunting. Yet so many jump at the chance to do so. Strange.

On the topic of over-kill (man I hate that word), the notion of this words validity seems competely obsurd to me when you consider the ease with which a .22-250 or .243 can dispatch even the largest of deer. Knowing this, and staying with your theme, it would stand to reason that anything larger then a .243 Win. would have to be considered over-kill on deer.

So why do we use larger? Simple. #1 Because we can. #2 Insurance.

I believe heavily in insurance. It's why folks use the .30-06 over the .30-30. Why I use mangums over the standards. Just to give a little "more". Regardless of whether that "more" wanted translates itself into the form of penetration or wind drift capability or energy or trajectory or baing able to use a heavier bullet ... on any given shot confronted, when you need "more", it's offered by magnums. That's why I like them. Well ... that and the fact that so many say that I don't need them. I like going against the common flow of things any time I can. Never been one to follow the crowd with regards to my rifle buying. I take a bit of pride in that. >> klallen

Hunterbug

I am going to have to agree with klallen on this one. There is no such thing as over kill. Is the extra power necessary for deer? Usually not. Does it hurt to have it? No. If your shots are 100 yards or less then you don't need a 300 Mag for deer but if your shots are 300 yards and farther the extra power does help. And for thoes of us that hunt elk that extra power is a real help. Also, you can down load a larger caliber for thoes times when you don't need the extra power but you can't load up the smaller caliber for thoes times when you do need it.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well personaly I could give a diddly squat what you use to shoot your deer with, the only thing I care about is the fact that the animal is taken cleanly;)

My hunting buddy used a .300 WM last year to take his 10 point Whitetail in Northern Missouri, the shot was only about 75 yards, he had sighted in for 200 yards expecting a longer shot but in the end it was a short range shot.  Now he normaly uses a 6.5x55 Swede in a Ruger 77 but it was not shootign as well as it normaly did for soem reason, I suspect he got a duff box of bullets:confused: . The Sako .300 WM got the call a week before the season started jsut so he could be confidant in the fact it was printing the bullets in the right place;) now even with the .300 WM and using 180 grn Nosler Ballistic Tips ( the load he had developed years ago), a goodshot whichcaught the right elbow going in as the Buck walked slowly, took out the heart/lungs and broke the left led on exit. The buck STILL went 30 or so yards into the scrub at the field edge.

Also there is no deader than dead!

The year before he got an 11 pointer at a measured 325 paces with the 6.5 Ruger 77:D  he shoots very well and competes in high power 600 yards matches and does bench rest as well, plenty of practice makes for confident shooting.

I no longer have a .300 WM as I traded it in a deal to get hold of 4 collectable rifles and needed to trade 3 rifles to get the deal, the .300 WM Ruger No1 was one of them and that's the only reason I have no longer got a .300 WM. Still have ammo for it in the cabinet! I use what ever I feel like on the day and what I have ammo for on hand which the rifle is sighted in for. Last year in Missouri it was a 7x57 BSA CF2 rifle which got the call, but it could have been any of the following cartidges:-

6.5x54MS

6.5x55 SE

270 Win

.308 Win

30-30 Win (using 130 grn spitzers as it's a bolt action)

.303 british

7.92 (8x57)

9.3x57

Perhaps I should stick with one rifle/cartridge combination but I like to give my different rifles the outings, it's all aprt of the fun. All the above rifles are sporting ones no military ones even though I have few of them, I kept this thread to sporting rifles as seems fit! if some one wants to use a weatherby 30-378 and shoot Deer with it, providing that they can hit the deer properly.............. well then it's up to them and none of mine of anyone elses business:p
Go Get them Floyd!

M1Garand

All very good points esp. the point regarding anything over a .243 can be considered "over-kill" because there was a time I thought that was an ideal caliber for deer and everything over could be considered excessive. But I won't pull a Kerry and flip-flop dammit! LOL. I guess regarding my point on the term "overkill" maybe there is no such thing as long as you shoot well and take animals cleanly, but if you'd ran into someone in the field who was deer hunting with either a .416 or .458 Mag, how would you view that or what term would you use (besides a glutton for punishment)? BTW, I invited my uncle to our deer camp to hunt this year and he's using a .338 Win Mag. But I think that's the only rifle he has to use other than an old German sniper rifle in 8mm Mauser his dad brought home from WWII.

klallen

"if you'd ran into someone in the field who was deer hunting with either a .416 or .458 Mag, how would you view that or what term would you use"

Well prepared ????? ;o) LOL !!!

I understand the point you're getting at M1GARAND. And I tend to agree with you, deer are not hard to bring down. And for most shots confronted in the field and most areas hunted by the majority, standards will work wonderfully.

All I know is where I hunt. And there, I know that at any point in time I can be facing a shot on game where I'm thrilled to be shouldering a 7.82 Warbird over a .30-06 or a 7mm RUM over a 7mm Mauser or ... you get the idea. I certainly don't need the performance provided on every single shot that I face in the field. That's kind of irrelavent though. Idea for me is being prepared for those special shots that require something more.

Either way, that's what I like.  If standards work for you and the shots on game that you see, you've made the correct decision in sticking with them. And I hope they continue to work for you in the future. Chat with ya later. >> kallen

M1Garand

Well thanks for the insight from a different perspective, I have to say that I'd much rather see someone with some extra horsepower rather than something with not enough such as the .22 centerfire's. Though I know it's been done, to me, that's asking for a wounded deer.

Tags: