Turkey Choke

Started by Willywonka, May 05, 2005, 11:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willywonka

Hey what choke is a turkey choke anyways. because this fool of a neighbour of mine says a modified choke with 2 3/4 inch #4 shot in it will take down a turkey better than a turkey choke with 3 1/2 inch mag BBB rounds????

Gmoney

Boy Willy, you sure do respect folks don't ya....I've read a lot of your posts today and you've called people liars and now fools.....take it easy man......a turkey will die with either of those loads...I'd just use a full choke....you'd just have to get a tad closer with the modified choke....BBB is usually used for geese unless you are body shooting the turkey....if head shooting the #4's will have more pellets and be more dense...your fool of a neighbor has probably shot both loads and knows which kills better....I'll take my 23/4 inch shells of anything ANYDAY over 3 or 31/2 inch shells.......

It's not a matter of which one kills better.....this is the same type question....which kills better a 30-30 or a 30-06....answer: both.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Antler3

I started with a modified choke using 2 3/4 #6 shot. Took a nice gobbler with it. Now I'm using an extra full turkey choke with 3 inch #5 magnum loads. I have taken a nice gobbler with it also. I will have to say I prefer the 3 inch with the extra full turkey choke because of the range. I can reach out there a little further, but the recoil is also a might more with the 3 inch. Both will do the job , it's just a matter of personal preference as GMoney says. To each his own ;).
ANTLER 3

buckshot roberts

Hey, I'm new to this page, The last turkey I got was with a winchester model 59, 2 3/4 rem ex-#4 shot mod,ck, But most of the time I use a winchester model super-x 2, 3 1/2,ex-full ck, but I have used a singel shot model 37 win,in full ck, 2 3/4,to take a bird, I know a guy that uses a cyl bore 2 3/4, to hunt with gets a bird each time he hunts, So " just put the lead to the head".
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

m gardner

Before we realized we needed turkey guns and chokes we killed them with 1 1/4 ounces of 4's or 6's in a 12 gauge with a modified choke. At 25 yards or so it worked fine. Shot sizes 4, 5 , or 6 seem to work best because there are enough of them to give a killing pattern. The larger shot ran out of pattern density sooner even though it has more killing power, and you have to hit them to kill them. God bless and good hunting.

Mark

buckshot roberts

:D Hey, M gardner, You are correct about that, It's all one big marketing thing just think if, Squirrels,and rabbits had antlers and beards.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

m gardner

Yeah,back in Vermont we got together at the club and tested turkey guns and chokes and found that most were pretty pitiful. But the lighter loads patterned very well. The most we could push through a turkey choke and get good results was 1 7/8 ounce. The Remington NitroMags 3 inch 1 7/8 was the best. We reground and otherwise altered choke tubes and ported the barrels on 2 guns and got killing patterns at 45 yards. We actually killed turkeys that far away with them too. The larger shot wasn't good much past 30 yards because the patterns were sparse. Go figure. God bless and good hunting.

Mark

m gardner

I was looking through some notes today and one of the things we noticed about alot of the chokes was that they were out of round. It appeared that they were held in a collet during manufacture which crushed them and after machining they would springback and go out of round in a pattern that reflected the number of fingers that held them. This may have been a factor in how well they patterned because after making them round even though they had less choke from the removal of material they shot better. Take your calipers to the store next time you purchase chokes and see if they are round. God bless and good shooting.

Mark

buckshot roberts

:eek: Thanks for the info, M gardner, I love to turkey hunt, the last two seasons I got turkeys that came in at 30,p, one at a little over 25,p , one at 28, and one 25.9.

m gardner

I assume the p means pounds? That's some nice bunch of turkeys and good eating! God bless.

Mark

buckshot roberts

:) My bad, M gardner, yes it's pounds,I had the 30 pound bird made in to a full mount, it;s the big'est in the county, Now it took me two seasons to take him, and I hunted him avery day one year, his beard is 11 1/2 inch long, and you know it was just luck that I got him, I had stoped, and sat down,to get something to drink, in some dead pine trees, by an old logging road, He was walking down this road gobbin away, and just walked in to it, I've had each one of them weighted at the u.s. post office, Now I live back in the woods, I just stop on the way and get me a pair of pantyhoses, :eek:,  I just put the bird down one leg, take it in, and this lady weighs it for me.   GOD bless you also.

Tags: