The Big Cat debate

Started by Springbuck, August 24, 2005, 04:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Springbuck

A number of hunters and prospective hunters would have by now done the Reno route to view potential hunts in the coming years.  No doubt they would have seen a number of "lifetime" opportunities to hunt exotic locations and shoot animals they have only seen on video/dvd.  As a hunter and traveller I do appreciate the kind offerings on view at these exhibitions, but there are times when I wonder if they do really reflect the hunting that we as hunters have come to expect.  I have seen numerous offers of big 5 hunting in Africa, buffalo by the thousands etc., but even for me who earns a living here on the African continent this type of hunting is way out of reach not to mention way beyond the depth of my wallet.  I know there is a place for all and sundry, but surely the alternative options that joe average should be able to afford must be promoted with the same vigour and gusto as these high priced cat safari's.

Just wondering.......

Springbuck

RifleandReel

Springbuck, I agree with you. But unfortunately the market dictates the type of services that are advertised by outfitters and those who don't have Big Five hunting on offer are frowned upon by prospective clients. This is making things that much more difficult for outfitters that are new to the business.

Springbuck

I know, it is the main reason why I am presently looking at alternative options not only for outfitters but for agents as well.  I have been debatting the value of e-marketing as a way how to sell the Southern African market beyond the big 5 view.  Nearly finished with the draft business plan.  People and hunters that travel should really realise that the hunting scenario in Southern Africa is to be structured outside the present picture presented in countries abroad.

Springbuck

RifleandReel

I'd be interested to see (and possibly discuss with you if you are interested) your business plan as I am also of the opinion that e-marketing could be a valuable tool which could potentially reduce the average cost of an African hunt. One of the biggest factors that must be considered in determining daily rates and trophy fees from an outfitters perspective is that of marketing costs. Secondary to that is the exchange rate. The average SA outfitter will spend between $30,000 and $100,000 on marketing by renting booths at the various US expositions and shows like SCI - a cost that can only be recovered by means of the rates charged to his clients. I know of many outfitters who have spent big money on marketing at shows only to return without a single booking.

In spite of this, plainsgame hunting in South Africa is far more affordable than what most Americans think. E.g. a 5 day plainsgame hunt, hunting 3 animals could cost you less than $4,000 (airfare included).

RifleandReel

Springbuck

Thank you for the positive feedback.  Yes, let us look at ways how to integrate an approach that could work not only around e-commerce, but also at reducing costs as you have rightly pointed out goes into marketing.  One of the key concepts that I have seen is the "tyre kicking" approach where concessionaires are being played against each other in order to reduce costs and provide "bargain" hunts.  There will also be costs involved in structuring packages and it should be to the benefit of the hunters to gain from surplus packages, but not while running the risk that they end up paying more for their hunt than what they should.  My contact details:

E-mail: broadway@lantic.net
Tel : 072 926 0487

Springbuck

RifleandReel

I'll drop you a line a bit later and we can discuss. At the ISE show in SLC this year I experienced the same thing - prospective clients going from booth-to-booth trying to play one off against the other. I personally don't negotiate on price and concentrate on offering a value for money experience as opposed to a "bargain hunt".

Tags: