Cerakote

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), February 22, 2017, 03:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Been itching to give this stuff a shot, bought a pint of Midnight Bronze (H-294) and a pint of Sniper Green (H-229).

Brought in my airbrushes and cobbled up an adapter for the airline and thought 'lets boogie'...

Airbrushes;

10ml of paint and 0.5ml hardener mixed up - here's the result after an hour in the oven @ 148.8ºC / 300ºF.

I'm likin' this stuff.....:smiley:

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Nice kit.

I haven't heard anything bad about Cerakote. I would use it on my 80% AR receivers, but a little more effort than I want to exert at this time. If you lived near, I would let you Cerakote my stuff. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

The only thing bad about it that I know of is that the fumes are awful!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I'll do em when I get there (could use durakote - air drying).
Fumes were no worse than any other paints I've used - the hardener contains ammonia but that is quite normal for epoxy resins.
The ones that you need worry about are the two pack CA paints....
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Without flash - focus is a bit soft but shows the colour nice...

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

So, did a rifle and a contender barrel this morning, very happy with the colour and finish...gonna do more of this in the future!

Now if the weather would stop messing us around...
Turvey Stalking

gitano

I prefer Cerakote to Parkerizing and "in the white", but 'blue/black" is still my preferred finish for 'fine' rifles. When I moved to Juneau I was told by "experts" that if I didn't Parkerize my rifles, they would be a rusty mess in 6 months. (That was a lie. Gee, ANOTHER example of "experts" not knowing their backside from their elbow. What a surprise. Not.) I had my .17 rem and 7x300 Weatherby both Parkerized. Biggest mistake I ever made with respect to 'finishing' a rifle. Both are on exceptional pieces of wood and I hate the way those rifles look now.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Couple more bits...

Cerakote 'Graphite Black' 17Rem will get birthday present!

The DLC Coating is more grey in real life!
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

My 17Rem...

Bolt was previously caustic blacked.
Turvey Stalking

sakorick

They look wonderful!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

'Little job'

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Now wait just a minit! Who are you and what have you done with j0e_bl0ggs? The j0e_bl0ggs I know wouldn't be caught dead with a 10/22.

If yur gonna do 'all that', y'aughta get a fast-twist barrel so you could shoot 60-grain bullets!

Good job!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Not mine, honest guv - jaeger will doubtless chip in at some point...
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Ah... Now the fabric of the universe lays unwrinkled again.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Do like the idea of the fast twist for the Aguilla 60gn tho....
Not having a 10-22 in my paws for so many years has prolly mellowed me a little.
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Yeah, 'the years' have a way of doin' that. Look at me... I've even recently made a wildcat on an '06 case! :eek:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

jaeger88

10/22 ?. Mine ?. I have no idea what your talking about !.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

gitano

I haven't 'looked hard' for them recently, but there seems to be less interest in the fast-twist barrels of late. How difficult/easy are they to get in GB?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

My other favourite 'gun' -

Did jagers 10-22 and the 270 mod with this gun.

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Never did show a photo of the Hornet reassembled:

Quite chuffed with it!

Turvey Stalking

sakorick

When do we get to see groups?

Hunterbug

Quote from: gitanoI've even recently made a wildcat on an '06 case! :eek:

Paul

Now I know that something is going on. Did you hit your head or something?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Franchi 48 12g.

The rolled and silver 'engraving' always bugged me...

Decided to do something about it...

Paint was 50/50 sniper green and midnight bronze.

Turvey Stalking

sakorick

By golly you did it! Looks great.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Franchi 48 assembled. Now the 'engraving' is not so 'in your face' - cool!

Assembled with the trigger guard.

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

So the stainless Tikka M595 always was a candidate for paint.
Machined some plugs for the barrelled action, blast n mask the bolt, blast the bolt shroud and bolt handle - whip out the midnight bronze quick spray job then stuff em in the oven and an hour later good to go!

Think I've bored you lot enough now! :yes:
Turvey Stalking

sakorick

A huge improvement.....HUGE!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I know I lied but seeing that my middle name appears to be 'glutton for punishment' I decided to 'do' the trigger guard. I had the original assembly available but it was a complete mess, most of the anodising worn off and it was gummed up like a gummed up thing - not functional would be a good description!

So into the heated ultrasonic bath for an hour or two to loosen things up.
A total strip down ensued - took it all to bits, did not worry too much about how to re assemble - I had a working trigger in the shotgun already...

Well the trigger in the shotgun was not the same! I had to figure it out - it reassembles from the rear going forward.

All done now, promise not to bore you lot anymore...(at least until the next job).
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Excellent stuff!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

jaeger88

j0e "glutton for punishment" bl0ggs came out of early Cerakote  retirement, & generously turned my "shabby chic" 10/22 into  something considerably less shabby, but no less chic, with a coat of Bronze on the barrel, action & trigger housing.

Hes  also responsible for shortening the barrel to 12.5" ( 0.5" over the UK  minimum legal limit ), & making it considerably more accurate in the  process.

As I'm forever changing the stock colour as & when the fancy  takes me, I resisted Cerakote, & went for a simple  black spray paint.
Though by this time next week it could be wearing German Flecktarn, Multitarn or Oakleaf if I'm feeling ambitious, or maybe just plain green if I'm not.

Ive  also swapped out the Leupold scope that's lived on the rifle for about  28 years, for a Burris Fullfield I picked up for 30 quid.  There's nothing wrong  with the Leupold at all, its never let me down, just thought Id give the Burris a try out as  it was lonely & rifle-less.  :cry:

I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

gitano

Wish I had that!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Was thinking about the minijet and had a look if sata made a suction low capacity pot for the spray gun...yayyy sata part#125963. The quanity of mixed paint is so low that the 125cc cup is a little on the large side.

SATA #125963 - :cens: 'ell £189.12 plus shipping, just about :cens: a brick. Crazy price!

I was looking at the Naglene 30ml HDPE pots and thought that they would make an ideal paint cup...

So had a look at airbrushes on epay £7 gets a cheapo with a 125cc cup but suitable for modification...

Have a moderator to paint. Will see how it sprays!

Atec CMM4 mod Aluminium construction.
Sniper Green and Midnight Bronze @ 4:1

Chinese gun sprays ok, Sata minijet is far better!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

So that looks like it might be a 50-60 ml cup? Looks like a good bit of kit, and it clearly does a good job.

J0e_bl0ggs' dog better keep a weather eye out or she will get Cerakoted!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

'bout cerakoated out now....
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Just got hold of another 17Rem, quick cerakote job...

Paul would like that mod, 1-3/4"Ø x 4-1/2" long.
Turvey Stalking

jaeger88

Looks even better in the flesh !.

Is the barrel & action getting a coat as well ?.
I cant believe in fate.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Nope, barrel and action can stay blue. Mod and Bolt were in need of attention.
Turvey Stalking

gitano

You're correct J0e_bl0ggs - I do like it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

I'm wondering how it will hold up on a revolver cylinder. I've been told "It (the cylinder) won't get a ring" I have my doubts as I already have one in the GP161 cylinder I reblued not long ago.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

By "ring", are you talking about the ring around the barrel-end of the cylinder around the mouth of the chamber? If so, I can't imagine that it won't 'ring', not because the Cerakote can't handle it, but because the ring is residue from firing, heat, and abrasion. The only way to remove that is scrub it. With bluing, the heat and abrasion should cause some ring. Shoot! I couldn't care less about that ring. It's what a fired revolver "looks like".

If you're talking about another ring, you'll hafta show us.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

The ring caused by the cylinder latch.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: recoil junky;148039The ring caused by the cylinder latch.

RJ
I honestly doubt that it will stand up any better than caustic bluing, the latch (bolt stop) will still abrade the cerakote.
I guess you could mirror polish the bolt with a minute rad and it might reduce the effect a little, the sliding contact will always leave a mark.
This stuff is good, but not impervious to scratches regardless of what they say on the intermutt...

Poked about for a picture of a cerakoted cylinder with the 'turn ring' but no joy. Most revolver pics were of freshly applied coating, no surprise then!

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Oh. THAT ring. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Couple new colours added, H-245 Socom Blue and H-146 Graphite Black.

Sauer 90 was drilled and tapped for the front sight and barrel given a coat of the Socom Blue with a twist of Graphite black.

Couple of parts done in the Socom Blue for jager, a really nice colour!

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Certainly has a nice 'finish' to it. A little surprised at the knife blade.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

jaeger88

Cerakoteing the blade really served no useful purpose, especially seeing as its stainless steel.
I just wanted to see what it looked like, & to see how durable Cerakote would be on a knife blade.

Besides, the blades been kicking around for a while & looking to be turned into a knife.

I much prefer the look of the bare steel its self, & besides, Ive really no use for a "tactical" style knife, well, not this side of Doomsday.  

Maybe treating a Carbon steel blade to make it more corrosion resistant would make sense ?, though if corrosion's a problem, or you cant or dont know to look after a Carbon Steel blade, use stainless !.
I cant believe in fate.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Franchi 48AL, H-245 Socom Blue

Works for me!

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

New puzzle...

Ultrasound cleaning the gunk off of the trigger parts,

Waiting for some parts from Paul (Thank you muchly), when they arrive I'll chuck it all together.

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Trigger group cerakoated and re assembled.

Turvey Stalking

gitano

I'm not sure what more there is to say... :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Thank you Paul, you are a gentleman (regardless of what others say). :bowdown:

Pins arrived and fitted.

Turvey Stalking

sakorick

Paul, I don't care what they all say about you either!

gitano

I don't care either, and you're still welcome!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

All kidding aside, thanks Paul!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: