All scoped up

Started by branxhunter, April 30, 2009, 04:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

Well I have finally got a scope on the .243 safari deluxe I recently aquired. It is an old Weaver K8 my father used to have on a Anschutz 1515-1516 .22 magnum. The bolt handle just clears the scope. The mounts are leupold on a one piece leupold base.  Attached photo shows the set-up. The weather forecast for this weekend is fine ( very wet last weekend) so should get a chance to see how it shoots.

I am still yet to confirm the manufacture date, but I am assuming it is from the early sixties. I'm sure Brithunter would know the details - has anyone heard from him lately?

My brother now has the Anschutz mentioned above and is having it rebarrelled to .17 HMR. Has anyone out there rebarrelled a .22M to a .17 HMR? I quite like the shape of the 1515-1516 stocks, but am not so keen on the current Anschutz .17HMR models. If an old Anschutz could be picked up for $400-500 I reckon it would be a good option.

Charlemagne70

Branxhunter,

By cross-cheking Brithunter's ''proofmark calendar'' on the ''Parker Hale unveiled'' thread I found out my PH 1200 C marked YB was proofmarked in 1973. Your rifle was proofmarked NB = 1962.

Regards,
Chris

branxhunter

Thanks Charlemagne70. That tallies with features of the rifle such as the 2 stage trigger, the snobble fore-end, the stripper clip notch and the rear sight block.

It is nice to know that in todays throw-away society a 45 year old firearm doesn't neccesarily have to be too far behind todays offerings- I am sure I am not telling the numerous mauser fans anything new here. This rifle may not have the slick synthetic stock (doesn't bother me, I prefer wood anyway), the adjustable trigger (yet, but we will see if it even needs one) but it seems to be a good solid rifle. The stock is a little dinged around but I can fix that. Importantly the bluing is in very good condition. And most important of all, it only cost me the $40 Aus fee to transfer it into my name!

branxhunter

Range report for the PH .243

A nice calm afternoon today so a perfect opportunity to sight in the newly scoped PH .243 and my new Ruger M77/17. As noted above the .243 has a K8 Weaver scope. The .17 HMR has a Simmons 3-9x40 scope.

I set up an old wooden door at approx 35 metres and tacked on a paper target with a 1/2 inch grid background. I shot a group with the .17 HMR then patched it with solvent and let it sit while I shot a group with the .243 before patching with solvent.

After checking the target and cleaning the .243 I took single shots followed by scope zero changes as shown in the blue pen on target no. 1. With the .17 HMR I shot groups followed by scope zero changes as shown in black pen on the same target.

I then moved the door and set up a target at 100 metres and used the .243 to shoot a five shot group (after a single called flyer) as shown on target no. 2. I know that the reason the group isn't smaller lies with my ability rather than that of the rifle so I am pretty happy with my first centrefire. I think I can now justify spending a little bit on cleaning up the stock and fitting a new recoil pad.

sakorick

Very nice shooting indeed. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

0.75" by 1.4" is a very respectable group. Especially for a rifle new to you, and, as you say, "my first centrefire". :2thumbsup:

It's been my experience that when the vertical and horizontal deflections vary from something close to a circle and the horizontal variations are the larger of the two, the increased horizontal deflection is usually due to 'pulling' the trigger instead of 'squeezing' it. In your case, the vertical deflection is less than an inch at 100 (I get almost exactly 0.75"), while the horizontal is just under an inch and a half - I'd say about twice the vertical. That suggests to me that your rifle is fully capable of sub-MOA precision. I suspect that a few more range sessions, and you are going to be shooting some very small groups.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Thanks Rick & Paul. I agree that more practice, particulalry  focussing on trigger release, will be the key here. I forgot to mention above that I was shooting from the tray back of my farm ute - a chair on the ground beside the ute with the rifle fore-end resting on a bag of potting mix on the tray (yes I know, not very high tech). I think better support of the rear of the rifle stock may also help.

The loads I was using were some old 65gr (I think) HP loads in mixed brass that I was given with the rifle and I don't know whether they were specifically developed up for this rifle. I won't be handloading in the immediate future so will be interesting to see how it shoots with factory ammo.

Whatever the case, it seems like the reputation for PH rifles as a general rule being quite accurate is justified, given this is a 40+ year old rifle with a 2 stage trigger. Hmmmmmm, what about that PH1200 in .22-250 currently advertised for $500 AUS on www.usedguns.com ......

Tags: