Standard Cartridge Series - .30-40 Krag

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), November 17, 2004, 08:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

With the 220 grain bullet I would not be afraid to hunt anything on the North American continent.  In the case of the 'big bears' I would want some distance and some concealment and a lot of time to consider! I've owned one or two rifles chambered in .30-40 Krag for quite some time.  It is very efficient and very accurate with an excellent track record at Camp Perry around the turn of the 20th century.

The ability of the Krag rifle to be single loaded (with cutoff) and loaded easily in the prone position...this made it cutting edge technology of it's day.

Hunterbug

I like these rifles. The action while not the strongest is smooth as silk. Another on my "to do" list. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Fortunate Son

On my to do list also.  Dad has one of the carbines and it really is smoooth.  Can you mount a scope on one without altering the action in any way?  It would be a shame to damage a collectable like that.
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: Fortunate SonOn my to do list also. Dad has one of the carbines and it really is smoooth. Can you mount a scope on one without altering the action in any way? It would be a shame to damage a collectable like that.
[/size]

Not sure FS...I've only done it twice and both times was very difficult. Side mounts were specified by the customers and the actions were hard!   B-Square might have some type of mount that replaces the rear sight but would require a long eye relief scope.

Fortunate Son

Long eye relief would be acceptable.  As soon as I get some of these other projects under controll I might give it a try.  I have heard mixed opinions about those B-Square mounts though.
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

Tags: