When they're TOO close...

Started by Daryl (deceased), October 13, 2007, 11:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl (deceased)

Last weekend, a cousin and I went out to see if we could find a bear.  We left pretty early in the morning, and things looked pretty good when we got to the hills we planned to hunt.

Then we found a camp right in the head of the canyon, illegally there because of the water.  In Arizona, you can't legally camp within 1/4 mile of a water hole (water in this country can be scarce for wildlife).  There was no one around, but they'd also left their fire burning pretty good (which is also illegal).  We met them coming up the canyon in their truck (obviously road hunting, which again, is illegal), so we got a little disgusted and headed out to the open country to do some calling.

My favorite hunting is predator calling, anyway.

We set up in an open canyon with some grass, mesquite, and cactus for cover.  Jake and I'd had a discussion about electronic calls VS hand calls earlier that morning, and I'd told him I prefered the hand calls.  I could call more critters with them, and killed a higher percentage of those called, I'd told him.  Should have knocked on wood, maybe.

Well, I started calling with a hand call, and after a few minutes Jake shot.  I'd been more expecting something to appear from the other direction, so I wasn't really watching towards Jake.  When he shot, I looked around to see a fox running straight at me...with Jake directly behind it.  No way to shoot, and likely no time as it turned out.  The fox was close, and he was in high gear.

I really expected the little devil to dodge one way or the other to avoid me, and I figured I'd get it just after it did...only it didn't.

When it got within three feet of me, still running full bore, and lunged at my face, I decided it was time to get out of it's way.  I ducked and rolled to my right (fox was coming from my left), and it went over my head and left shoulder.  A little rattled, I missed a couple of shots as it departed for parts unknown.  So did Jake..

Then I noticed that my face felt wet, and wiped it off with my hand.  When I looked at my hand, it was covered in blood.  That little rascal had gotten me with his claws as it went over, and I had some scratches on my cheek.

That was a week ago, and I still have two more rabies vaccines to take; one next Friday, and another 2 weeks after that.

So, if anyone ever tells you that they can't get too close...

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

bowhunter 51

That is one amazing story, Daryl....Bet your glad it wasn't a bobcat....
It would have sure-nuf left a memorable impression.....And got to
take rabie shots on top of it all....I hear they're painful....I hate you
had to go through all that...Chalk it up as one more memorable
experience in the hunter's life......Fox (1), Daryl (0)......BH51............
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Gmoney

Wow Daryl....

Good story and be careful out there.  
Scatterguns are your friend....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

Greg,

Yeah, my cousin and I were talking about that.

I think at least one shotgun, and a rematch...;)

Greys aren't all that smart, and I'm pretty sure I can call it in again. :D

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

Is that the first time something like that has happened to you?  Have you ever had to dodge one before?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Daryl (deceased)

Glenn, I've had critters close; some REAL close at times, but that's the first time I've ever had one actually tag me.  Never had to duck one, either.

Of the people that I call with (and most call quite a bit), none have ever seen a grey fox quite that agressive.  They're bold, and not to smart, but don't normally jump on you.

It was pretty wild, but I sorta wish I hadn't gotten scratched. ;)  Those rabies shots are gonna cost me some, even with insurance.

Still, I'm looking forward to a re-match! :D

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

Daryl...

I hear you on the greys...
I've called up the same one 3 times on one set....grin...

Just switch sounds....grin...
When he finally figured it out boy he screamed at us for 20 minutes at 300+ yards....
Greys are FUN! We've had them go under our truck beds and try to climb the tires but never been attacked before...grin...

Daryl, here's my new shotgun pattern/load for this year...
#4 buck from 40 steps, all 42 pellets are there in that picture...
I never leave home without it...
Absolutely unfair....grin...

Greys are extremely fun....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Vermonster

Daryll,

Guess you're getting slow in your old age.... :biggthumpup:

Just kidding.  Hope you handle the shots ok..... :smiley:

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: Vermonster;67437Daryll,

Guess you're getting slow in your old age.... :biggthumpup:

Just kidding. Hope you handle the shots ok..... :smiley:

That could be (too slow).  Those little buggers can be quick!

Tell ya what; when you get to Arizona, come on down and I'll put one in YOUR lap for ya...just for fun. ;) :D

RIP Linden33

Shotgunhemi

Wow! Too close for comfort! Hope it all goes well with the injections.
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: Shotgunhemi;67773Wow! Too close for comfort! Hope it all goes well with the injections.

All's well on that. Only have one more; friday after next.

Everybody says they hurt, but I've sure been through worse. ;)

They aren't that bad.  More of an inconvenience than anything.

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Antler3

What an exciting hunt ! Wish he hadn't of scratched ya though. Good luck and I'm anxious to hear how the re-match goes .....
ANTLER 3

Jorge in Oz

Great hunting story Daryl, it's a shame you didn't nail that little rascal. Never thought calling in foxes could have such risks. The Rabies shot are a bummer thay are painful & I hate needles at the best of times.

I hope you get that fox one day.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Wolfer

Daryl.. you been calling HOW LONG NOW? critter calling 101. first year is any gun ya think will take the game. second year is definately theNew varmit getter Half way thru the second year is the 12guage 3year is fighting scopes cause everything is to close and about 2 weeks into the 3rd year is  Back to the 12 guage... LOL  srry to see ya get got I have had more than a few get to close but never drew blood.... Hence I learned 3rd year second week REAL well.
Kyle

Daryl (deceased)

Wolfer,

The problem with a 12 gauge out here is that when you have one, they stop and pose for you at about 75 yards.

I think I'd rather be attacked by a fox than have to sit there watching a coyote pose at easy rifle range, and me holding a shotgun.

Besides, they tested me, and I'm immune to rabies now.  Now if this darn weather would clear up so's I could go back for a re-match!

Maybe take a couple of the airedales to run it down, too. :D

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Tags: