My first Parker Hale - .270 Win

Started by Charger, August 24, 2009, 05:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

Nice shooting Charger - looks like you have a wnner there!

gitano

Nice shooting! Congratulations.

I do have one question though. Since those are .270 holes, I wouldn't expect more than 4 of them to fit between the lines of a 1" square. Looks to me like 5 or 6 of them would fit in those squares. Are those squares larger than 1"? Please believe me when I say I'm not questioning your veracity. I'm just curious. If thoise are 1" squares, that's about half a minute of an angle precision. Darn good from factory ammo. In fact, I wouldn't reload for that gun unless I could get AT LEAST that small a groups with my handloads. AND... I'd buy up A LOT of that ammo, "just in case".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;100211Nice shooting! Congratulations.

I do have one question though. Since those are .270 holes, I wouldn't expect more than 4 of them to fit between the lines of a 1" square. Looks to me like 5 or 6 of them would fit in those squares. Are those squares larger than 1"? Please believe me when I say I'm not questioning your veracity. I'm just curious. If thoise are 1" squares, that's about half a minute of an angle precision. Darn good from factory ammo. In fact, I wouldn't reload for that gun unless I could get AT LEAST that small a groups with my handloads. AND... I'd buy up A LOT of that ammo, "just in case".

Paul

Me too. Regards, Rick
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Big Banger

Charger

Quote from: Big Banger;100307Nice Parker Hale Charger!
Thanks, it was really great to find one in great shape that has potential to be a very good shooter! :smiley:

Charger

Quote from: gitano;100211Nice shooting! Congratulations.

Paul

Yes, those are 1 inch squares and it was 4 shots with two touching.  After seeing how well it shot the factory ammo I did pick up some more!  It's not fond of Federal but the SuperX work great.  I am still curious about handload so I am going to try a few different loads.  The fact that my Parker Hale has a clip will reduce how far out I can seat the bullets but if I can, at worst, match the factory loads I would be happy!

Brithunter

Quote from: Charger;100481Yes, those are 1 inch squares and it was 4 shots with two touching. After seeing how well it shot the factory ammo I did pick up some more! It's not fond of Federal but the SuperX work great. I am still curious about handload so I am going to try a few different loads. The fact that my Parker Hale has a clip will reduce how far out I can seat the bullets but if I can, at worst, match the factory loads I would be happy!

A clip?   as in a drop magazine, one that is detachable from the rifle?

This is one of the magazines from my 1200C:-

Now the reason I am asking is that these 1200C (Clip) models have sightly different actions in that they have an extra lug into which scrrews a small allen bolt that retains the front of the trigger guard and the magazine well into the stock. Took me a while to figure out how to get the stock off mine :frown  :shy: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Charger

Quote from: Brithunter;100486A clip? as in a drop magazine, one that is detachable from the rifle?

This is one of the magazines from my 1200C:-

Now the reason I am asking is that these 1200C (Clip) models have sightly different actions in that they have an extra lug into which scrrews a small allen bolt that retains the front of the trigger guard and the magazine well into the stock. Took me a while to figure out how to get the stock off mine :frown :shy: .
Yes, that clip is very much like mine!.  And yes, I haven't taken it out of the stock yet, so that will be very valuable to know about the additional allen bolt.   Are there any on-line owner manuals for the Parker's?

Brithunter

Ahhhhh I did not realise in your original post that it was a 1200C :o . You'll have Big Banger after you now as I think he is rather taken with them :smiley: .

As your aware there is not a lot of information available on the Parker-Hales and I have nothing except the advertising/sales catalogues on them except for the 1200 Super as as I acquired one NIB I have the hang tag and the little leaflets that came with it. Trouble is although it shows the later rounded tip fore tip to the sock it only shows the break down of the normal 1200 and not the 1200C.

Now it's a long shot but I recall seeing a dealer advertising a New 1200C :eek: in Gunmmart. If I can find the advert again I will phone them and ask if it is indeed new and if it is ask if they would photocopy the leaflets. It's a long shot I am not holding my breathe but one never knows until one tries.

Anyway to remove the barreled action from the stock first drop the magazine out and check the chamber is empty :greentongue: (best be safe as one never knows who is reading this) and the unscrew the two action screws. The front one just goes into a short steel plate that the front of the magazine hooks under. The rear holds the rear of the triggerguard to the stock and tang of the action as per normal. However the action will start to lift but be stuck as under the mag release is a small screw but not reachable, at least on mine, without drifting the roll pin out from the mag release catch.

Be careful as there is a small coil spring behind the latch but once it's removed you can see the screw head. On mine it's an allen headed screw and undoing it releases the the magazine well case and the triggerguard. Oh under the screws head is a small piller spacer so careful with it.

I will try to take photgraphs of it when I take the stock off mine again to steam the compressions out and re-finish but that will not be for several days if not a couple of weeks.

It also occured to me that these Clip models would not be the easist to re-bed due to the fiddling involved in putting them back together and taking them down :( .
Go Get them Floyd!

Charger

Quote from: Brithunter;100499Ahhhhh I did not realise in your original post that it was a 1200C :o . You'll have Big Banger after you now as I think he is rather taken with them :smiley: .

As your aware there is not a lot of information available on the Parker-Hales and I have nothing except the advertising/sales catalogues on them except for the 1200 Super as as I acquired one NIB I have the hang tag and the little leaflets that came with it. Trouble is although it shows the later rounded tip fore tip to the sock it only shows the break down of the normal 1200 and not the 1200C.

Now it's a long shot but I recall seeing a dealer advertising a New 1200C :eek: in Gunmmart. If I can find the advert again I will phone them and ask if it is indeed new and if it is ask if they would photocopy the leaflets. It's a long shot I am not holding my breathe but one never knows until one tries.

Anyway to remove the barreled action from the stock first drop the magazine out and check the chamber is empty :greentongue: (best be safe as one never knows who is reading this) and the unscrew the two action screws. The front one just goes into a short steel plate that the front of the magazine hooks under. The rear holds the rear of the triggerguard to the stock and tang of the action as per normal. However the action will start to lift but be stuck as under the mag release is a small screw but not reachable, at least on mine, without drifting the roll pin out from the mag release catch.

Be careful as there is a small coil spring behind the latch but once it's removed you can see the screw head. On mine it's an allen headed screw and undoing it releases the the magazine well case and the triggerguard. Oh under the screws head is a small piller spacer so careful with it.

I will try to take photgraphs of it when I take the stock off mine again to steam the compressions out and re-finish but that will not be for several days if not a couple of weeks.

It also occured to me that these Clip models would not be the easist to re-bed due to the fiddling involved in putting them back together and taking them down :( .

Thanks for the excellent overview of how to remove the action from the stock!  I'll post some more pictures of the action as it has an interesting bolt release.  It's more of a push button rather than the normal swing out bolt release that I've seen on other 1200's.  I'll take a picture in the next few days and post it.  Please let me know if you've seen this on other Parker's.

Thanks!

Brithunter

The release you describe is similar to that used on some of the Midland 2100 rifles but I am sorry that I don't have a photo of it, not one close enough to see the bolt release.
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Banger

You guys know that 100 Canadian yards is about the same as 65 yards anywhere else right?

Tags: