Digital powder measures

Started by Bruce Baldwin, August 03, 2022, 10:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Baldwin

Hello Reloaders
I have been reloading since 1965.  I have been using a balance beam scale.  Just recently, my son suggested that I purchase a digital powder measure.  (What does he know?)  More recently, I am beginning to realize that he may know more than I give him credit for.  So I have checked Midway for these machines, and I found three that I am interested in:
RCBS Charge master pro
RCBS charge master supreme
Lyman Gen 6
 Hornady Auto charge pro
Does any one out there have preferences concerning these?  How about use information?
I appreciate your comments.
Thanks
Bruce Baldwin
brubal@earthlink.net

gitano

Welcome to THL, Bruce. Nice to see new blood that actually posts!

I have used digital scales for reloading for over 20 years. I like 'em, but I'm not "married" to them. I DO NOT have any experience with any of the ones you mention. I use "generic" ones, not specifically designed for reloading. If I remember correctly, sakorick had the Hornady scale, and DavidLT has one that I can't remember the manufacturer of. J0e_bl0ggs also uses one, but I don't think it's one of the ones you are considering.

Give this thread a day or two to reach people, and then if you don't get any other responses, ping those folks I mentioned. If you need answers quicker than that, ping them today. I'm quite certain they, and everyone else at THL would be happy to discuss the subject with you.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Hello Bruce! I do not use a digital scale, I still use my RCBS balance beam scale. I have looked into the digital scales, thinking I might be able to make that part of the process "faster", but I don't think it is. I watched a video on one of the scales you mention and it was a 2-3 minute process for the scale to get back to zero and pour the specified amount of powder, so I opted not to get it.

I do remember sakorick purchasing one, he will probably have something for ya!! Also, if you do get one, would love to hear what you think about it.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Thanks for chiming in, David. Obviously, I thought you used one.

My experience is that using a digital scale does NOT speed up the process of reloading. Personally, I have no interest in speeding that process up, so that's not why I use one. My professional training and personal OCD simply prefer the unnecessary precision.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I have the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and I love it. I bought the Hornady first and it quit working after throwing 12 charges. Not 12 every time, 12 total. So I returned it and got the RCBS and never looked back. At first I compared several charges between it and my balance scales but found they were all right there.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

davidlt89

Quotepersonal OCD simply prefer the unnecessary precision.
Basically another reason I cannot pull the trigger. I would have to weigh out each charge on my other scale.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

I use both. First the digital than confirm with the balance beam. They are rarely the exact same. Welcome to THL.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Bruce, don't have any hands on experience - only 'looking at' re the type you asked about. My go-to is still a balance (304 style) and when the ocd kicks in a check with the analytical balance, I'm in the volumetric camp so in general its all about powder thrower setup. Personally would not part with that much wedge for a plastic machine! All the best.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Bruce Baldwin

Hello THL'ers
Thanks so much for your replys.  I am interested in accuracy and precision first then speed.  I am leaning toward the RCBS, but only because RCBS did me a  great favor when I was first reloading and I have not forgotten it.  I'll post my final decision.
Stay safe
Bruce Baldwin

Bruce Baldwin

I finally did it.  I purchased the RCBS Charge Master didgital powder measure for the reasons noted above. I reasoned that if it really turns out to be a lemon, i could get better results by complaining directly to RCBS than going through Midway.  
I'll post the resullts.

gitano

Reasonable logic, for my two-cents-worth. Please let us know how it works for you.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Bruce Baldwin

OK!  this is my last message in this thread.  I have used my RCBS Charge Master digital powder measure.  I find that it works just fine.  I did have a problem with the instructions, but a  call to RCBS cleared ut up nicely.  I loaded some M! brass with 47.0 grains of 4064.  The measudre worked just fine after wiping it down with some anti-static spray.  I did find that I didn't need the blue tooth app.  I paid extra for it which was a mistake.  Am I happy?  Generally yes.

gitano

Good report. That's pretty much what THL is about; honest evaluations of hunting related issues. Thanks!

Good to hear you're happy with the purchase.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

codger

Quote from: sakorick on August 03, 2022, 02:33:05 PMI use both. First the digital than confirm with the balance beam. They are rarely the exact same. Welcome to THL.

I don't trust anything if can't understand how it works.  I will stay with my balance beam, it works perfectly.

Jamie.270

Quote from: codger on November 26, 2023, 12:22:36 PM
Quote from: sakorick on August 03, 2022, 02:33:05 PMI use both. First the digital than confirm with the balance beam. They are rarely the exact same. Welcome to THL.

I don't trust anything if can't understand how it works.  I will stay with my balance beam, it works perfectly.
Us old "Codgers" tend to be like that.
Even if we go by other monikers!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Tags: