10 guage.

Started by farmboy, February 14, 2016, 05:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

Real excited I won the bid on a ponsness warren 375 in ten gauge magnum last night. I have two of them now one set up for 12 both three and two and three quarter length and another setup for both lengths as well. I find these presses easy to load shells on. When it gets here I can load some high speed steel rounds up for next hunting season. I got some alliant steel powder the other day and some longshot. So all is good in the reloading shot shell world for me. I can hardly wait for next season. There is a spring snow goose hunt here as well.

sakorick

They are nice presses. 10 Ga is a bit much for my old bones!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

The first time I pulled the trigger I screamed basically no recoil pad! Ouch. Put a pad on it and not so bad. Likely should look for a gas gun. I would like to find a Remington sp10 I have never even seen one. I have shot a browning gold in 10 gauge. Laying on my back shooting up at geese was a bit tough on my shoulder this fall not sure I can take what I did 25 years ago not as much muscle on my shoulder as there once was. So  if I could find the right one I think I would sell the bps.

gitano

I think I've only shot a 10 gauge a few times (shots) in my life. Never been a situation that I needed one. (Not saying there aren't such situations, I just haven't found myself in one.) I do own a 10 ga., but it's a muzzle loader (thanks, Hunterbug). My intent is to load one barrel with shot - maybe #4 - and the other with round ball. Don't ask me what I intend to shoot with that combination, because I don't know myself!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

I bought some steel federal shells two falls ago when I looked at the box and the Max range was thirty five yards ouch a ten guage is only good for thirty five yards how bad is that. I got it to try and make up for the lack of range with steel shot. Its been awhile since I have hunted ducks and geese. We were allowed lead here longer than down south as well. Anyhow after that episode I found a reloading press and have loaded a limited number of way too high of priced shells. Two and a quarter oz loads of bismuth. Used them selectively but I got two geese with them. I want to try some high speed steel loads get into the 17 hundred plus range see if they have any range. I have always jump shot ducks and geese on small ponds. The other thing that I have to try yet is a two oz or heavier load of number nine lead with a cyl choke and try a flock shot or two on pigeons. That may be the best reason for a ten. Aim at one in the centre of the group and perhaps I could get a multiple.

Tags: