My biggest blacktail

Started by jandroutddoors, October 20, 2004, 10:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jandroutddoors

Well this is the biggest blacktail that I have shot personally. Last year I got a client into a bigger one. I am more than proud of this guy. He is a 6x4 (7x5 for you guys that count eyeguardss). shot him in the neck at 40 yards with my new 7mm mag.

12 gauge

Nice kill!

Congrats!

I am not a mule deer hunter, but i do appreciate others deer!

Congrats!

God bless :D
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Hunterbug

That's a really nice blacktail. What state was that in? Are your shots normally that close?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

mtsharps

Real nice blacktail  there can you give us a story on it

jandroutddoors

Well here is the story on my biggest blacktail. I spend most of the deer hunting season guideing other hunters. I do all my quideing on my private property. It is common for me to see some real nice bucks but I usually don't get to be the one to get them. Well last sunday was different. It was my last day of deer hunting since I am guideing over in eastern oregon for elk next week. I was set up in a honey hole when a few does came out. then a couple of spikes and two fork-n-horns came out. Then a nice 3x4 came out. At this time they all kept looking to my right but I could not see anything. The does were snorting but not acting like it was a hunter. I thought maybe the elk were coming in to take over. Then out behind a down branch came this big bodied buck with tall antlers. I thought it was just a 4x4 but I knew it was a taker. So I lifted up and pulled one off right in the neck. He dropped like a sack of potatoes. Then I noticed it was a bit bigger than I first thought. Most of deer here are shot at less than 100 yards. The coastal mountain forests are to thick with underbrush to quietly walk through. Deer would here you miles before they say you. The pictures here are from last year. The big 4x4 was got by my client. It scored 145. Just about as perfect as you can get for this size. Very symetrical. The other is a 4x3 that was so old I think it was on social security. He was beat up and his antlers were regressing. It was a good one to take out of the pool.

Oregonhunter

Nice Buck! Looks like a real wall hanger to me.

Oregonhunter

ShadowRider

Real nice buck, jandr! Thanks for sharing the pics and the story. I understand those blacktails can give a whitetail a run for his money when it comes to hiding ability. Good job!

Antler3

hey yea real nice buck... I was going to ask if huntin' 'em was different than whitetail ?
ANTLER 3

Tags: