.500 BPE - .50-140 Sharps

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), March 09, 2008, 07:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

I've made up the .50-140 in singleshots and it sure makes some noise.  I've never had an opportunity to use it against big game but I'm gullible enough to believe those who have come before me.

fivebigbores

I had a 50 140 shotgun conversion made up for me sleived bore got it last september load 82 gn of smokless and a 535 woodleih have shot it some 90 rounds by now it has less recoil than my 500 ne a 10 # searcy and aout the same as my 470 a 9 1/2 # searcy double jason simkins colorado did the conversion its not a searcy but at 1/4 the cost it will be a good kick around rifle and it has good regulation at 70 yds I dont seem to mind th recoil all that much have shot 525 gn's of lead in it but the lead seems to key hole now and then need to get MV on the load I am using and fine tune to the regulation load but over all I have been happy with the rifle and love the 50-140 round it has been a exciting adventure and one day the son in law will hunt it in africa on pac hunts as he is an native of AS and as such hunts pretty much for free its a .510 bullet so no problum w that but cases have been a little hard to come by jammison int is building me some 500 + very soon and that will solve that I am loading rl15 and 215 fed primers but do use a foam wad on top of the powder to keep things nice and tight I have used the 470 on cape buff but my next trip will be w a searcy 577 ne under lever for el and a scoped 450-400 searcy under lever double for the small stuff

Jay Edward (deceased)

I will be looking forward to some pics here fivebigbores.  There are a number of us here who are very much interested in big bores slinging lead.

fivebigbores

Ok I am in Utah at the monent but when I get back to ca I will shoot a few pic's and send you an email I ain't smart enough to post pic's on here but if you can that would be great the folks would love it-- will send a pic of the round and the hole in the steel plate that the lead punched too --its a lota power --if you were to have him build another it may be better if it did not have hammers I planed on asking him to build one more but ran out of ready cash just about then, one with no hammers, but I have come to kinda like the way this one is set up

on another point  I have a crude plan to convert my BAR 338 WIN MAG  to a 458 win mag jack lott did it years ago and I am looking for [help / a starting point] I think he wrote it up in a mag. years back some one told me it worked good but thats he said she said SO

Tags: