The ultimate SS rifle ??

Started by Paul Hoskins, November 11, 2019, 10:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

Of all the single shot rifle designs, the break action SS rifle would be my first choice. A high quality break action is pretty well out of reach for tha average man, with prices running into the thousands. I had the chance to buy a Merkel at one time for the paltry price of 2700 dollars but it was chambered for the 270 Winchester cartridge. I despise that cartridge almost as much as the 30/06. No doubt it is a good cartridge for most larger game up to & including elk but I wouldn't want to use one for varmints such as grizzly bear or anything else along these lines.

I have looked at and handled the Kreighoff SS but very carefully. They are EXPENSIVE. It was chambered for the 375 H&H cartridge. I have no use for a 375 H&H whatsoever but the gun "felt" perfect. Everything about it felt good except the price. That was above 5000 dollars back in the late 1960's. You could buy most any make of new car back then for less. I bought several new 1965 and later model Corvair's & none were over 3000 dollars.

The pictured Kreighoff Huburtus has extra barrels. They are 6.5 x 57R, 30/06 and the 9.3x 74R. I love the 6.5 x 57. I have no need for the 9.3 x 74 but it'll take care of most any varmint short of T Rex. You don't need or want my opinion of the 30/06. .......Paul H

gitano

Personally, I like Fahrquahrson-type falling blocks for single-shot rifles. Of course when it comes to side-by-side rifles, there's not much, realistically speaking, other than breech-break actions to choose from. Although, I have seen both falling block and BOLT ACTION side-by-side rifles!

I suppose that in my old age, I've come to like the .416 caliber, and for that caliber, I like the .416x348 Win cartridge because you don't have to load it to the point that it 'kills at both ends' like you do with the other larger-capacity, factory .416 cartridges. I do like the .350 Win mag cartridge too though, and for basically the same reason: The case can be loaded to modest levels of recoil and still be an absolute 'hammer' at ranges out to 250 yd at least. (I also like it because I've killed two bull moose with my Remington 660 chambered in .350 Win mag with open sights. :D)

I suppose that the .348 WIn cartridge would be very good on its own merits, but where are all the .348 caliber bullets? Ain't none.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I like the falling block actions too. The break action can handle all the pressure one needs for practical hunting needs if it is designed & built right using modern alloy steel frames. Their best feature is switching barrels & calibers without tools or having to remove scopes. The  ejector/extractor is built into each individual barrel with no need to change extractors regardless of cartridge used. A few rifles exist with screw in barrels that can be removed without tools or changing extractors IF the same base cartridge is used. The model 99 savage comes to mind. These barrels soon loosen & accuracy goes left on you. The 99 Savage is a good action & very strong for a lever gun. The fixed barrel models are as close to a bolt gun for accuracy as you can get in a lever gun. I have one chambered for the 22/30/30 AI that is vert accurate & consistent using Nosler 68 grain bullets. It is a fixed barrel model. I just happen to like practical guns & machines.   .......Paul H

gitano

Quote from: Paul HoskinsTheir best feature is switching barrels & calibers without tools or having to remove scopes.
Rightoh! And, I like their looks in a SxS.

When I was writing my first post above, I was thinking about double barrel rifles with differing chamberings. Of those I am aware, I know of none that have two different calibers where one isn't "small" - .22. I was just thinking about a SxS with two "larger" calibers, say .416 and .338, or .458 and 8mm, or even .338 and .257 or .264. I can hear the arguments against. I don't really care. By the time you get into these sorts of rifles, with their attendant costs, "normal" doesn't really apply. On the contrary, "custom" is (or should be) the watchword.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: