last day!

Started by davidlt89, April 30, 2014, 04:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Well, today marked the last day of the season!!! It is kinda "bitter sweet", but I am ready for a break. I skun up 3 tonight and put them in the freezer since furs are shipping out this saturday. Don't have enough time to dry them before then. I did manage to get another in my friends pond. that made 26 for the year and 14 since sunday before last!!!

So this was my first full year of trapping, tally included, 26 beaver, 17 muskrats, 3 otter, 2 raccoons, 1 coyote, and 1 bear. Not bad for a greenhorn:yes:.

So, I did learn a few things this year. One was how to "really" trap rats. they will be big on my list next year!! I found another crossover in another pond and will hit that early and will trap for otter earlier on my friends pond where they crossover.

Also got a hankering for mink so will do much more next year!! the snow at my friends helped me see where they travel the ponds!!!

I also think I will forgo most of the "winter" trapping for beaver. You can really hammer them before the ice goes in november and april a man can get real busy. I caught more beaver in the last 10 days than I did all winter, april is a good time and most beaver are still prime. I got 14 in the last 10 days and had a lead on at least 6 other ponds. If I had the "hankering", I probably could of pulled out another 20-30 beaver. I could have set for them, and probably checked them easily enough but no way I could of kept of with the fleshing! I have come to realize that it just makes no sense putting in all that work and gas in in the winter to get what you get!!! But I guess I had to learn that!!!!!

My friend has also given me the green light to trap for anything. He has a great spot as most of the animals live there. coyote, fox, mink, muskrat, beaver, otter, fisher, raccoon, and marten. I will use it as a one stop shop and see what happens. that should be fun and really cut down on the gas!  God Bless.

P.S.
in case anyone is interested my buddy, dhitch, got his foot caught in one of his 330's last night!!! he recommend not doing that!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

I think you're past the "greenhorn" stage!

It was a great season! Keep us posted on the proceeds of the sales of your furs.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I'd call that a successful year. Good job.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

davidlt89

QuoteIt was a great season! Keep us posted on the proceeds of the sales of your furs.
will do!!! these furs will be auctioned in september. there is another auction happening this month on the 14th and I have 11 beaver held over from the last auction. Hoping they all go this time!!! Beaver are the "iffy" thing right now, but that can change in the blink of an eye.

Auction before this last one, beaver were like gold. 100% sell with some decent prices. Problem was the the chinese that bought them up tried to get them in the country illegally and got caught!!! there were about 300 less buyers at the auction because of it. the chinese were the ones buying up the beaver!!! hopefully they are back soon!!!!
QuoteI'd call that a successful year. Good job.
thank you buddy!!!

I took an "end of year picture" with what I had left over after shipping out at the beginning of the year.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: