Birth of a reloading bench

Started by davidlt89, January 18, 2011, 03:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

Ahyep, ditto on that philosophy

Quote from: RatherBHuntin;124625Nah, You have dies for guns you will have some day!
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

At the moment, I think what he has are dies for OPGs - other people's guns.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteAt the moment, I think what he has are dies for OPGs - other people's guns.

Correct!!!  I told myself I would make them buy their own dies, but I ended up buying the dies for myself to have. I wanted to have some of the more common dies on hand, 270, 308, 30-06, etc... One set the guy bought me just for doing his ammo. It is getting that time again. been unusually warm here and I can see grass on my lawn. I can see the 44 mag getting some ammo through it soon. I just received my last batch of powder and I should be all set for a couple years!!!! Of course, last year when I ordered I did not think I would have to get powder for another 5 years!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

QuoteI told myself I would make them buy their own dies, but I ended up buying the dies for myself to have.
Gee... I've NEVER done that.

And if you believe that, I have a bridge I'm selling. Get in touch.

You may be surprised how useful those "other dies" will be down the road, and not for 'reloading' per se.

QuoteI should be all set for a couple years!!!! Of course, last year when I ordered I did not think I would have to get powder for another 5 years!!!
:MOGRIN::MOGRIN::MOGRIN:

I predict more powder in 6 months. :D Although, at some point, "enough is enough" does apply to powder. At least for me, it does.

Spring is indeed in the air. I am getting a VERY itchy trigger finger for bear. Was talking about it with Grant this morning. NOTHING stopping us from getting in the water by the end of the month. In fact, nothing stopping us today, but we're going to wait 'tll the end of the month to be more assured that the bears will be out of their dens.

You are definitely a bona fide "reloader" at this point. I've never heard of anyone ever 'turning back'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

Looking up some local laws I ran across an ordnance limiting powder storage within a "structure" to 25 pounds...if that 8 lb can of H322 is only half full I think I will be ok.  :grin:
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

drinksgin (deceased)

I have more than 25lb just in mil surp.
Oh,well , when they come to get me, there will be plenty of evidence.
Did you see the news story about the blond lighting up the oven at her boy friends place to make waffles, how on earth can you make waffles in an oven, and destroying his ammo stock, which, as any sensible batchelor would do, he had in the oven so the pilot light would keep it dry.
I hope he dumps her!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Quotehe had in the oven so the pilot light would keep it dry.

And the blond is dumb???
I say they deserve each other.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul, ask Sue if she would light someone else' s oven without looking inside it first.
People keep ALL kinds of stuff in their ovens.
She had to be really careless, sorta like having 3 -4 open cans of powder on the bench at the same time.
I was just remembering things I have seen in ovens;
pots, pans, lids, shoes, boots, gloves, jars of sprouting seeds, yogurt starters, meals being kept warm, garden seed starts,bread rising, vegetables drying on a rack and jerky in the making.
Likely I have missed some.

gitano

Right you are, Don.  I just wouldn't keep FLAMMABLES in an OVEN! But hey, that's just me. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Most of the stuff I put into an oven ends up being flammable...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Joe, do you use Paul's recipe book, too?

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Nahhhh, generally forget that I put summat in it!
I think the term to use is cremation rather than roasting....
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Must get my paws on a copy of Paul's 'Meat only cookbook' AKA 'Vegetables are only a distraction'.
Turvey Stalking

davidlt89

so it seems like every time I check who is online, this post is always getting a view. Hard to believe it's been viewed over 20,000 times!!
Anyway, I am certainly grateful to the members on here who helped me get into reloading and continued to offer help anytime I had questions when I first started. Heck, I still ask questions and its been 11 years since I started!! Gitano seems to be the lucky guy....I think he really enjoys my questions!! (lol)
Anyway, thought I might post some now pictures! I am still a ways off from really "creative" stuff, but the bench has held up like a champ! I initially purchased the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit. The only thing I swapped out from this kit was the scales, as the lee scales were junk and replaced it with the RCBS 5-0-5 scale, which has worked well.
Still using the same press today although I have looked at other presses 1,000 times!
Anyone looking to get into reloading, but just has not made the push yet....just do it, you will never look back!
I consider my bench pretty "neat" compared to some of the other members.....not going to mention any names to protect the innocent!

bench by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

bench 2 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: