Cats and coons and foxes.

Started by farmboy, January 18, 2017, 10:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Oh I like owls. A lot more than I like cats. ;) My personal favorite owl is the barn owl. Has a cool scientific name too - Tyto alba. My favorite animal scientific name belongs to the Hoopoe - Upupa epops. Pronounced "oo poopa ee pops". Love that name.

Owls are a lot like sharks though. They're basically dumb as a box of rocks, BUT... they do ONE thing REALLY WELL. Sharks are amazing predators, and so are owls. It's ironic that owls have a reputation as "wise", when in fact, they are about as trainable as cats. No joke. It's why you only very rarely see owls in "bird shows". Usually whatever they do is VERY simple.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

I will see if I can get a picture of these two owls. Something else I came across a couple of days ago about four miles west of me I saw what I thought was a raven sitting on a post. Shouldered the rifle to take a look and low and behold it was a bald eagle. I think that is what it was. Certainly an eagle with the white head. I think it was a small one not much bigger in body size than the post and perhaps it stood about sixteen inches tall. It flew away and had a large wing span. I was wishing at the time that I had a zoom lens on my phone camera. I quite love all birds of prey. I had what we would call a sparrow Hawks come into the yard a few years ago. By the time they left there were no more birds singing they got every sparrow and ever starling. The yard was dead quite for the first time in my life.

sakorick

I think it was a small one not much bigger in body size than the post and perhaps it stood about sixteen inches tall.

Well, That's about 1/2 of a mature Baldy's size....must have been something else.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

There are small bald eagles. If it had a white head and dark body, it was a bald eagle. There are no other birds with white heads and dark bodies in North America. "Post" for size and "16 inches" are relative measures with a certain amount of 'wiggle room'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

It is my understanding that the "small" Bald Eagles are a Southern USA bird and they are still 30" high standing. Perhaps Farmboy can get a picture of him and I say him as male Baldies are smaller than females. I had one in my back yard 2 weeks ago but by the time I got my camera chipped up he/she vanished!:Banghead:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

JaDub

What Paul said.  Owls can crush just about anything in their talons.

Tags: