Think we need a 'making stuff' thread...

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), May 04, 2012, 03:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Quotethey are a 'beast' to those near them ESPECIALLY at a rifle range.
still have a hard time grasping going to a rifle range!!!! It is nice to have one at my house! But I realize some people have no choice. I can see having some etiquette if you are at one.
QuoteI think the ones shown here made by j0e-bl0ggs look good and are a good CHOICE for those choosing to use brakes.
I agree!!! I especially like the second one, looks sharp!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

Like Paul I have two personal objections to muzzle brakes.

1. They are loud and obnoxious, 'specially at the range.

2. They are REALLY loud and obnoxiuos when hunting and your hunting partner touches one off about three feet from your left ear. TWICE!! Which is why you need to stand on my right when you talk to me, or if you are facing me I'll turn my head to the left to get my right ear so's I can hear you.

Other than that, Joe that looks smashing!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

heehheheheehe! can'o'worms this one!!!

Gives me a warm feeling inside...:angel:

Must say though, on my 444 it did help control muzzle flip.
Moderator is better but not so easy for you guys to get paws on.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Moderators - over here more often called "suppressors" or "silencers" - are a GREAT idea for 'taming' muzzle blast, and to a measurable degree, recoil. As you say, they are difficult - but not impossible - to get our paws on.

However, talk about "breaking up the lines of a finely-made rifle" - OY! Nothing like hanging an automotive oil filter off the end of your rifle to add to its "aesthetics".  I suppose if you taped it on with duct tape it could be worse.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE suppressors for everything but looks. I think they just look BAD. Period. Here again we have weighing one negative - loud muzzle blasts - against another - "ugly". More often than not, mitigating loud noises  - a measurable performance phenomenon - over-rides an aesthetic consideration like the 'looks' of the firearm. Of course there are those that can talk themselves into the "beauty" of just about anything. Look at all those guys that like Lee Enfields. :D

No offence fellas. :) I just couldn't resist. :wings: I threw that in for levity, not an eye-poke.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: recoil junky;121798Which is why you need to stand on my right when you talk to me, or if you are facing me I'll turn my head to the left to get my right ear so's I can hear you.
 RJ

I have to turn mine to the right...

Shooting my AR the other day, which has a brake, the blast knocked over my spotting scope that was sitting next to me on the bench on a small tripod (granted it is real small and cheap).   Luckily I caught it.  When I take that gun to the range, I always make a point of it to sit at the far end and only shoot if no one is within a couple of benches of me.  I also wear double ear protection when I shoot that thing.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

I always use hearing protection regardless of muzzle brakes or not!!!! Maybe after 11 years of field artillery and "loud" guns, these rifles don't seem so loud! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: davidlt89;121802I always use hearing protection regardless of muzzle brakes or not!!!! Maybe after 11 years of field artillery and "loud" guns, these rifles don't seem so loud! God Bless.

I always wear headphone type protection, but when I shoot that gun I put plugs in underneath the headphones.  Not so odd, the ear I cant hear out of is my firing hand ear, since I was giving the visual command to fire with that hand I couldn't get a finger in that ear and didn't wear ear plugs cause I had to be able to hear the commands over the radio.  I didn't know I was not invincible at that time in my life.:cry:
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

For all the shooting I have done and been around in my life, it wasn't shooting that ruined my hearing, it was running large outboard motors without hearing protection for 12 years. Regardless of cause, hearing loss is annoying at the very least.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;121800Moderators - over here more often called "suppressors" or "silencers" - are a GREAT idea for 'taming' muzzle blast, and to a measurable degree, recoil. As you say, they are difficult - but not impossible - to get our paws on.

However, talk about "breaking up the lines of a finely-made rifle" - OY! Nothing like hanging an automotive oil filter off the end of your rifle to add to its "aesthetics". I suppose if you taped it on with duct tape it could be worse.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE suppressors for everything but looks. I think they just look BAD. Period. Here again we have weighing one negative - loud muzzle blasts - against another - "ugly". More often than not, mitigating loud noises  - a measurable performance phenomenon - over-rides an aesthetic consideration like the 'looks' of the firearm. Of course there are those that can talk themselves into the "beauty" of just about anything. Look at all those guys that like Lee Enfields. :D

No offence fellas. :) I just couldn't resist. :wings: I threw that in for levity, not an eye-poke.

Paul

Might have tried if I had any left...
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

recoil junky

Quote from: gitano;121809regardless of cause, hearing loss is annoying at the very least.

Paul

huh?

Rj
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

drinksgin (deceased)

Joe, you do know that duct tape comes in several colors and even in stainless steel, a bit of imagination and there is no telling what an enterprising person could come up with.
Seems most of the squalling cats and garbage raiding dogs only rate a 2 liter pop bottle and a quick wrap of , hold your breath, duct tape to retain it.
Doesn't everyone have a tinnitus symphony going on all day?
Large rotohammers can do a good job of ruining ears, too, not to mention 2 cycle motor cycles with tuned pipes.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Yeah nadgered my lugoles yeas ago... continual ringing in ears have to put on an audio book at night to get to sleep!
Bikes n shooting done it for me!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Quote from: recoil junky;121811huh?

Rj

:D:D:D:D:D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Depending on stress levels, blood pressure, amount of physical activity and even mood the tinnitus vaies from a soft constant rushing sound, like being in a big jet liner, to like it in this morning a high pitched pulsating squeal.

Shooting might have helped it along but working in engineering shops is what did it.
Go Get them Floyd!

buffalo bob

got my tinnitus and loss of hearing from working on jet aircraft whilke fighting ho chi minh.  i have a constant loud cicada chirping.

Tags: