Old Eyes

Started by sakorick, March 24, 2015, 03:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I hate to say it but my shooting with hard sights is going down hill. I have trouble focusing on the front sight. I went to the eye doctor and had everything tested. He said I could either see the target or the sight so I chose the target. The new glasses should be here later this week and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. He said I have very healthy eyes for my age.:Banghead:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

About 10 years ago my ophthalmologist told me he could make a pair of glasses that would allow me to use open sights to shoot. They would only cost $300 FOR THE LENSES. I decided that "Kentucky windage" - applied to looking at the sights - was 'good enough' since I don't shoot competitively. My  eyes now require that I use a 'scope for precision work like sighting in.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

that happened to me when I was 33 Rick!!! my optometrist said it was impossible at that age. I tend to believe the rabbit that I missed at 8 yards!!! It only got worse! I can either focus on the rear sight, front sight, or the actual target!! To much choosing there. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

I wear bifocals, and find it near impossible to shoot iron sights with them.  I always seem to be looking through the wrong pane.  My optometrist is married to a cop and she ministers to a lot of shooters (yea, they actually shoot here, not like NYC cops).  I told her my woes and she said it was real common.  She made set me up with a set of glasses just for shooting (I had a set of glasses coming through insurance and my prescription hadn't changed so didn't really need a new pair).  They are single focus and the point of focus is arms length, or about where the front sight is.  Took some getting used to, but I tried them again a few weeks ago and seemed to be adjusting to it.  I keep them in my shooting box and just use them at the range, I can still see plenty good enough to hunt medium sized game with open sights and no glasses, but not really target shoot.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

recoil junky

A couple weeks ago I was busting clay pigeons left and right with my 45-70 at 100 yards.

I'd aim at one and hit the one on the left or right . . . . . . . . .

In all seriousness, our vision is no laughing matter. I get mine checked every year and now with the macular degeneration scare looming, I take extra care with my eyes. If I'm going blind I want to shoot as much as I can with as many different guns as I can.

I'm still able to see hand gun and rifle sights well enough to shoot in the bright sun until my eyes get tired. then I have to quit.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

QuoteA couple weeks ago I was busting clay pigeons left and right with my 45-70 at 100 yards.

I'd aim at one and hit the one on the left or right . . . . . . . . .

:MOGRIN:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Quote from: gitano;138242:MOGRIN:

Paul

Plus one
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: