closed for the season

Started by buckshot roberts, January 19, 2015, 03:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

I closed my trapping season I little early this season, due to being in the hospital with pneumonia and a very bad virus on top of that, I never got any fox's, but I do have around 30 coon pelts, and I worked out deal with some coon hunters in eastern part of the state to buy some of them for training pelts.
I did pick up some extra cash trapping on two farms, getting rid of some unwanted pests; one farm has worked out to be a nice spot for me to get in some deer and turkey hunting in.
I did not do all that good this first season, but the days are getting a little warmer and I'm looking to get in a few days of squirrel hunting before season closes, and with turkey season just around the corner, getting set up for that and working up these coon pelts I'll have a lot to do................Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

sakorick

Quote from: buckshot roberts;136958I closed my trapping season I little early this season, due to being in the hospital with pneumonia and a very bad virus on top of that, I never got any fox's, but I do have around 30 coon pelts, and I worked out deal with some coon hunters in eastern part of the state to buy some of them for training pelts.
I did pick up some extra cash trapping on two farms, getting rid of some unwanted pests; one farm has worked out to be a nice spot for me to get in some deer and turkey hunting in.
I did not do all that good this first season, but the days are getting a little warmer and I'm looking to get in a few days of squirrel hunting before season closes, and with turkey season just around the corner, getting set up for that and working up these coon pelts I'll have a lot to do................Ron

Good, good, good!!!!!:COOLdude:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Thirty 'coons sounds pretty good to me!

Sorry to hear about your bout in the hospital and especially about someone stealing your dog. :mad:

Frankly, your season sounds pretty good all things considered!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

first, glad to hear your ok!!! No season is worth your health!!!

30 coons sounds good my friend. I take it they are not all fleshed and dried? if not, heres a tip, chill them before fleshing!!! Coons are easy but this makes it a lot easier!!!!

How much are you getting per pelt (just have to poke my nose in there!):D

Did you have any misses on foxes? interested to hear how you made your sets!!!!

What did you trap for pests??? Your killing me Ron:D Nothing like getting paid to trap and getting some hunting land to boot!!! sounds like a good season to me!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

farmboy

buckshot roberts

David I used can cat food, a lady was losing hens, so I worked her place for a week, and took a number of coon', and opossum's and three cat, that where homeless, took them home with me, did find some weasel tracks on her place, did not get lucky to take one, I can come back next season, that nice old lady gave me 30 bucks for my time, and that paid for my gas driving out to her place, she did give me an old bolt action shotgun, that she could not hold to shoot anymore, I went back last weekend an helped clean up around here hen house for her, it worked out for the both of us.
The other place was just opossums, a few coons', the biggest coon I took was off his place and I sold for $50 bucks to a coon hunter. I worked out a deal to sale 5 coon pelts for $40 bucks each and would take any live coon also....Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

This all sounds pretty good to me, Ron. When I trapped in Missouri I probably got 10 'possums for every 'coon I got. I almost hated checking my traps. At the time, 'possum skins were going for 2 or 3 dollars IF you could actually find someone to buy them. Coons were $15 to $30 - mostly $15.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

that's after me tan'm, cabala's have them for 99 bucks,. so i kind of played the buy local pelt...............Ron

davidlt89

well Ron, if you got 40.00 for a coon, you did really well. I don't expect to get more than 15.00! You did well my friend. I like trapping coon but they are so ratty looking when the getting is good, then they go in earlier than any other animal!!! Would not be hard to nail a 100 coon up here, all you have to do is put live traps and coon cuffs around all your friends houses!!! I did manage to get one later in the season and it had a nice coat on it!!!!
In all retrospect though, coon are selling!!! they, along with fox and coyote have become very popular trim articles!!! the buyers in Europe and Asia are buying them up!!!

I have absolutely no options of selling fur up here, there is only one fur buyer that is not a taxidermist and I don't trust him as far as I can throw him!!! i have been satisfied with NAFA thus far! got an auction going on Monday, will be interesting to see how beaver do.

If for some reason you can't sell the rest of them, send them to me and I will ship them off to NAFA if you don't want to make an account and we can get them in the next auction in april.

Would be really neat if Paul would trap a wolverine!!!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

QuoteWould be really neat if Paul would trap a wolverine!!!!!!

YES it would!

I actually saw one about two miles from my house about 20 years ago. I suspect there are some within 20 miles, but darn few. They're not too difficult to trap IF they aren't already trap-shy. Once they get 'wise', they are VERY difficult to fool.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

like i said it a deal, once we work up the pelts, David I'm sure i will have some leftover, and i will be more than happy to send you some, have you tried looking at some coon hunting sites,for any hunter looking for coon pelts.......i was a little surprised  that a  hunter would give me fifty bucks for a live coon, and i can say that o'boy was not to happy to go from one cage to the next, after a two hour drive.........Ron

Tags: