60gr partition in the .223/5.56

Started by subsonic, September 26, 2012, 06:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

subsonic

Hello folks! Been a while since I've been on the forum. I knew someone here would have the answer I'm looking for, so here I am again!

I would like to make a load for my Remington R-15 (AR) in .223, 1:9 twist, with the Nosler 60gr Partition. I have done some load workup with this bullet over 23.5 to 25 gr of Ramshot TAC using a WSR primer and found the best load was around 24.5gr - but even this load was not that great at around 2" for 5 shots. This rifle shoots just about everything else I've tried in it under 1" for 5 shots and will put my best loads under .5" for 5 shots. These "best" loads include 77gr SMKs down to 50gr V-maxes, so I don't think the 60gr weight is the issue.

Has anybody found accuracy with the 60gr partition in a .223 or 5.56 chambered rifle? What am I missing? Or is this just not a very accurate projectile?

klallen

morning, subsonic.

i've not used the partitions alot, but when i have they've not offered the level of accuracy i've enjoyed when i used other nosler brands such as the ballistic tips or accubond.  while you'll here reports of steller accuracy here and there using these types of bullets, i just don't think that, in general, the dual core design is made for top shelf accuracy.

i'm sure the partition faithful will balk at this but it's simply what i've seen.

i'm using swift's a-frame (similar partition style bullet) in my .358sta and while the accuracy's more then functional and what i've stuck with for the purpose of the rifle, i've no doubt i could have improved on the groups if i'd have simply changed bullets.

you requiring the use of the partition for anything specific?  if not, it may be in the best interest of accuracy to find yourself a different bullet.

i just don't waste a lot of my valuable handloading time trying to make inaccurate bullets shoot accurately.

g-luck to ya.

k

Tags: