BSA Scopes

Started by varmint hunter, March 08, 2006, 08:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

varmint hunter

BSA Scopes. Thumbs up, or thumbs down?

azhdryder

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................

Does that cover it?
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

klallen

I've been round and round with folks about these scopes for years. Lots of opinions out there. They are certainly at the cheap end of the optics population. That can't be argued, but for my purposes, that in and of itself doesn't eliminate the two I've used as accurate, useful tools. I've owned a Target and a Contender. Both 8-32x.

Biggest complaints I've heard with them is their lack of reliability when dialing in adjustments and consistently getting back to zero and their handling of recoil.

On the first complaint, if dialing in is your mode of operation you'll be using, I agree 100% with the idea of moving to a more expensive scope. But you'll be jumping into a cost of scope here that can get quite excessive. Consistent click adjustments is something even moderately priced scopes have a hard time offering. That's why on my .223, I dial adjustments in for the zero desired for a specific MAX load, and then work the mil dots and drop charts. I have my optimum magnification level set at the range so that once I do head hunting, I never have to fiddle with the mechanics of the scope. I've found that the elimination of mechanical movements within the scope (relying on the mil dots) allows me to get away with a lower cost scope then would those folks who love to click adjustments in. In short, as is, my Savage / BSA combo puts the bullet where it needs to go over and over and over again and I'd put it up against any .223 out there wearing more expensive scope.

On the second complaint (recoil), I keep things realistic here too. I have more then enough confidence with my BSA on my .223. But the .223 don't kick. There's no stress on the scope. The Contender was on the .243 for a long time and did well, but for me personally, this is the top end of recoil I'd subject a BSA to.

Optically, they're more then up to the task of offering a clear picture on range of shot you've been talking about. I am reworking a load now in my .223 for use from 300 - 600 yds. Yes, at 600 yds., even the smallest of gophers is easily visible and very much in jeapordy.

Well, that's my opinion of the scope brand. I'm not trumping them up to be more then what they are     .....     a cheap option for little cartridges.  You use a BSA within reason, it'll serve you well. You push the limits or ask it to do things it can not, and you'll be disappointed. I'm sure others will have opinions contrary to mine. I'll move aside for their comments. Good luck to ya. >> klallen

Tags: