A New Rifle

Started by recoil junky, February 17, 2015, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

No. I have been neglecting my duties, but I hope to get some more testing in over the weekend.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Did you get some testing done?
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

I did. I now have a group 3/8" high X 1 1/4" wide. I need to bed the action I think but my Acraglas kit is old and dried up so I need to purchase a new one.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

recoil junky

After finally rounding up a Brownell's Acraglas kit I bedded the action and recoil lug on the 25-06 today. Now (as the theme from Jeopardy plays) I'm waiting the 9 hours until I can see if I have a one piece rifle/stock or the hoped for two piece!!

I hate this part . . . . . . the waiting.

RJ

Paul Hoskins

I know that feeling all too well, RJ. It's one thing after another. Doctors are especially bad to keep you waiting. I get an appointment for 1 PM & the girl calls me back to a room at 2 PM. She says the doc will be in in a minute. I tell her, no he won't. Half an hour later he wanders in & asks "Have you been waiting long?" I rub my chin & tell him, :Not really. My beard has only grown half an inch since my appointment time." ......Paul H

recoil junky

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;138723"Have you been waiting long?" I rub my chin & tell him, :Not really. My beard has only grown half an inch since my appointment time." ......Paul H

Great to see you back on board and that you haven't lost your sense of humor Paul!! I'll have to use that one at my next Doctors appointment!!!!

RJ

recoil junky

PHEW!!!! :cool:

Everything came apart and I was very pleased with the "ooze" of the Acraglas *. My aplogies for picture quality, but I'm not going to take it all apart again :p

Recoil lug and front action screw hole filled nicely!

"Ooze" filled clear to the bottom of the front action screw. Good thing I had plenty of grease on the screw!!

Rear action screw from the top:

And bottom:

I also put some Acraglas along the sides of the action to take up the gaps there.

Here's what it looks like after dying the Acraglas.

Now I have to wait another 2 days for the Acraglas to "cure" before I can shoot it.

RJ

* I am in no way sponsored by or receive compensation from the makers of Acraglas products.

sakorick

I'll  call it sub MOA ......Any bets?

davidlt89

waiting on targets my friend!!! God Bless
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Looks good, RJ. I like AcraGlass.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Just  a question,why did you kill it?

:angel:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

recoil junky

Same load and everything as before this group had promise until the 3rd and 5th shots went south literally.

And here's why:

Notice the primers on the bottom two pieces of brass? Flattened way more than the top three. They even "felt" different. I think I have brass issues. It's from a "collection" given too me and who knows how many years between lots on some of it. It's all once fired from the same rifle though.

Now it's raining so I'll have to try again later.

RJ

sakorick

Loose primer pockets? I don't know for sure if that's the problem....operator head space seems more likely!;)

gitano

"Operator head space" ???

Clearly some difference in those cartridges to cause the changes in the primers. BUT... they are all Remington-Peters. The only suggestion I have is to measure the case capacities before resizing if you haven't resized already. Measuring after resizing is OK too, but just won't give quite a clear an answer. It'd be a shame to have to measure the capacities of all of your cases, BUT... that may be necessary for the best precision when using brass from God knows where. I expect you'll figure it out.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: