Day at the range with 2 types of ignition

Started by Arrowstorm, October 18, 2004, 05:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arrowstorm

I took my flintlock longrifle and my hawkens percussion rifle to the range saturday. I thought I'd start off with the flintlock and got my first shot off right away. I get frustrated with that thing though cuz the flint has to be in the jaws just right.....   the flint has to be sharp, and I still have a little trouble with knapping. So I spent about an hour on the flintlock with only about 6 shots! Then I took the percussion cap hawkens and fired off 10 shots in a row, one right after the other. It was just a world of difference. Almost makes me wish I had bought my longrifle in percussion. But I know it just takes practice, practice and more practice. So I kept interchanging the rifles. Lol, the thing about the flintlock at least once every time I'm out there, the range officer has to wait on me for a little bit until I finally send the shot downrange before he can call the line cold.  Again, I guess it just takes practice.

So the percussion cap is far easier for me, but the flintlock still holds my fascination and I will continue to shoot no matter how many times it fails to ignite. My only wish is that I knew someone around where I live that could show me. I believe that would deffinitely make the difference.
If you and your friend are being chased through the woods by a bear, remember one thing. You don\'t have to run faster than the bear. You only have to run faster than your friend.

Stryker

Arrowstorm,

you may want to try some different flints. Traditions' lock, is a smaller one styled after the old CVA locks. When I had my Traditions, I got the best results from Thompson Centers "agate flints". Part # 7203. They're cut agate, so you can't knap them. But I would get 80-90 shots off of one. At one range I shot at, one of the guys would take them to a diamond knife sharpener to put the edge back on when they started to dull. When I bought them they were cheap enough, I just disposed of them. Might be worth $5 or $6 to give them a try. They come in 2 packs. Check your local gun shop.

http://www.tcarms.com/catalog/pg48_cat31.jpg.php
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Arrowstorm

I will most deffinitely look into that, man. Thanks
If you and your friend are being chased through the woods by a bear, remember one thing. You don\'t have to run faster than the bear. You only have to run faster than your friend.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: ArrowstormSo the percussion cap is far easier for me, but the flintlock still holds my fascination and I will continue to shoot no matter how many times it fails to ignite. My only wish is that I knew someone around where I live that could show me. I believe that would deffinitely make the difference.
[/size]

Well...I'm in the Northern Rockys which probably puts me out of reach.  Your other option is a local Blackpowder Club.  Try to find one that is big on 'traditional' and you'll probably get the best help with your flinter.

I admire your tenacity and I hope you'll persevere.  We'll all paid our dues...those of us still shooting flintlocks.  After all, a lot of folks did at one time and sometimes that one shot is all they had between them and trouble...root, hog or die.

Stryker

Quote from: Jay EdwardWell...I'm in the Northern Rockys which probably puts me out of reach. Your other option is a local Blackpowder Club. Try to find one that is big on 'traditional' and you'll probably get the best help with your flinter.

I admire your tenacity and I hope you'll persevere. We'll all paid our dues...those of us still shooting flintlocks. After all, a lot of folks did at one time and sometimes that one shot is all they had between them and trouble...root, hog or die.
Great point Jay,
Arrowstorm, heres a link to tradional Blackpowder / re-enactor clubs in the U.S. Just select your state.

http://www.muzzleloadermag.com/club%20pages/Club_map.htm
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Tags: