Smooth bore 22 LR?

Started by unknown_one, March 18, 2006, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unknown_one

I was perusing a gun manufacturer's website and they list a smooth bore 22 rim fire.

Call me dense but can someone explain to me what purpose such a firearm would be useful for?

Thanks!

Marlin917VS

I know they used to make one for the .22 rimfire shotshells, so that's the only reason I could think of.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Brithunter

Hi There,

I believe that dust shot used to be available loaded inot small bore shot shells. These can be used indoors for vermin control. A old ad I remember advertised them as being able to shoot mice without damaging the skirting boards :confused: .

Now also in some contries a smooth bored gun is less or sometimes not restricted whilst a rifled arm requires a licence or a more stringent licence. In the UK I have seen converted smallbore Martinis smooth bored to remove them from the firearms licesing and this puts them und the shotgun licence which is easier to get. the same thing happened to lots of lovely old Rook Rifles when the licensing came in for them:(  such a shame.:frown
Go Get them Floyd!

drinksgin (deceased)

.22 rimfire shot guns have been around a long time, in adition to vermin control, some organizations such as Scouts and other children's goups use them to teach wing shooting.There is a miniature clay pigeon target and thrower available.
I shot them in Scouts in the mid '50's.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Jay Edward (deceased)

We used to use it many years ago for taking out unwanted birds and critters in the barns and out buildings so you didn't put holes through the roof.  

It was originally made for just such a purpose and works well when wanting to get rid of varmints instead of hunting them.

We used them on gophers as well without destroying crops but there was no choke in the rifle and it was only good out to a certain distance.

gitano

Here are some I have had for 'a day or two'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Marlin917VS

Those look like the ones I had.  I'de like to get some more to use in our 22 revolver incase we get a mouse or something in the house.

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Jay Edward (deceased)

The cartridges we used years ago were really rather inferior to the modern shot cartridges.  

They looked like this:

gitano

I think I might have some of those too. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

I think I have some of those around here too, Jay...or I used to.

I usually keep a few of the shot cartridges for .22 LR around that are made by CCI.  They're handy for mice, ground squirrels, and such.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Marlin917VS

I saw that they have those shotshell things for some centerfire pistol cartridges too.  I was thinking about getting some for the 45 auto but I'm not sure how much damage they would do.  Also, do you think they would cycle in a semi??

drinksgin (deceased)

Last I knew, .45acp shotshells were available, complete with warnings to not use them in revolvers chambered for .45acp/.45 ar.
I make shotgun shells for .38/.357 from .357 Max. cases and .45acp/.45ar shotgun shells from any .470 base rimless case , trimmed to .01" shorter than the cylinder length, used with moon clips
.44 Mag. cases are made from .30-40 or .303 Brit . cases by shortening to .1" short of the cylinder length, removing .005" from the front of the rim and, in all 3 cases, drilling the flash hole out to 1/8".
Failure to do that will cause the cases to back out when you fire them, until the cylinder locks up.
I use 4.5gr Universal, a fiber wad 6, 7 1/2, 8 or 9 shot to just short of the case mouth and a cardboard wad with a drop of glue to hold it in .
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

rockinbbar

The CCI .45 ACP will cycle the pistol. They are awsome, but not quite so awesome as the .45 long colt version.....They are like shooting a short .410...

I had a small rattler on  my sidewalk in Texas. I shot once with the .45 LC, & it blew the snake off the walk into the grass...It never twitched again.

Killed a few rattlebugs with my .45 acp shotshells & performed well too.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

gitano

I can vouch for Drinksgin's homemade shotshells, but there are no snakes in Alaska, so live targets are limited.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: