Second Fox of the year.

Started by jaeger88, February 14, 2017, 05:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaeger88

Well Friday just gone, I managed to obtain a "pass" from "Swmbo", to go out shooting for the afternoon.

There posed a dilemma, should I take a shotgun, & batter a few Woodies ?, or a .22 & go for Squirrels ?.

So  I did both, took my 10-22, which is pretty stripped down & light,  & my little Leeson s/s 28g which weighs next to nothing. Plus a belt  full of 15 gram 6's.

Neither of them being my Loxodonta Africana guns of choice, but I thought what the hell.

I  parked at the farm, got geared up & started walking, as I have to, since my current  means of transport is probably the least "off road" vehicle there is  short of a London bus.

At least I get plenty of exercise, which is no bad thing.

Id  gone maybe half a mile & reached the corner of the nearest wood, where 2 tracks cross. I looked up one track &  spotted something on the skyline. Had a look through the Bino's & it  was a Fox heading down the track to the side of the hedge towards me.  It was maybe 150 yards away.

I go down behind the .22 where the  hedge met the main track, & waited, & waited, & ..........waited, for what seemed  eternity, but was maybe 5 mins.

I could only see 30 yds of the  track due to a bend, so thought Id best have a peek & see where he'd got to.  Just as I  got up onto my knees for a better look, Monsieur Renard popped out of  the hedge about 7 to 8 yards away, obviously hadn't seen me & walked  back in. Cursing myself for having the .22 in hand & and not the  shotgun, I put the Ruger down & picked up the 28g.  

He was  so close I could smell him, but couldn't see him, & was thinking Id  have to take a snap shot if he showed up close.

Well he'd  gone through the hedge, out the other (left hand) side, through 20 yds  of game cover & stood on the drilling looking at me.
I couldn't shoot as there was an Elder bush between us.
Id  frozen with the gun to shoulder & waited for him to bolt, but he  didn't, he looked away & casually walked out into the open.

Fleetingly  wishing I got my 20g with some heavy loads in I squeaked to make him  stop, & let fly with the full might of 15 grams of 6's out of the choke barrel. He fell over on the spot, but was wriggling a bit, so I  gave him the other barrel for good measure.
I paced the shot out at 25 yds, & honestly hadn't expected the little 28g to be that lethal at that range on a Fox.

A  lot of people discard the 28g thinking its not much bigger than a  .410, where in fact its not really much smaller than a 20g.

Pic 1 is where I first saw him at the top of the hill.
Pic 2 is looking from my firing position to where he lays.
Pic 3 & 4 speak for them selves.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

sakorick

Good show, great pics and great story.....a homerun!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

jaeger88

Thank's Rick !. Sometimes we just get lucky !.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

gitano

Great story!

I LOVE 28's. I always liked .410s until I started using 28s, and I fell head-over-heels in love with the cartridge. I can appreciate the concern over a 25yd shot, and am glad to hear that it worked well. I've never felt 'under-gunned' with a 28, but I've never shot anything but birds with mine.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I love them too! I just picked up a Browning Citori 28. More to come.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

There is something a bit special about them.

jaeger88

Ive never handled a Browning 28g Rick, are they built on the 20g action, or are they a "true" 28g ?.

I'm looking to get rid of all my 12g's & just keeping 20's & 28's, & thinking of getting a Browning 725 Black Gold in 20g or 28g, but I just think having a 28g on a 20g action kind of defeats the object of the exercise.

Getting a 20g shell mixed up with a pocket full of 12g scares the hell out of me.

Though I guess the same is true with a 28g mixed in with your 20's
I cant believe in fate.

Tags: