"gray hairs an turkey feathers"

Started by buckshot roberts, December 17, 2009, 07:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:cry: Once again turkey season is over, my last turkey hunt started with the alarm clock warning at 4 am, and with each ringing of my ol' big ben I would receve an elbow jab to my back from my :sweetheart: , either get out of bed or turn off the alarm. Once my feet hit the floor I look over at the:angel: little yorkie who in years past would eagerly spring out of bed once I was up, all she can do now is just raise her head up to look, she's gettin old. forcing one eye open I make my way into the kitchen to turn on the coffee maker, I wait long enough to get a full cup made:eek:, and head to the bath room to apply the musclerub before getting dressed. Stopping in the den to get my old savage shotgun and a box of #4 remington long range express I found my old house cat :baby: still sleeping by the air vent. backing out of the driveway I look in the rear view mirrow I see a hint more gray hair than I did last season. I've come a long since my first turkey hunt in 1969. I set in for this 134 miles one way trip to my friends farm. I did'nt bother to turn the raido on for company I just set and reminisced of hunts gone by,the people and places and what was hot for this season. Up on my arrival I park by the cattle gate and set in for a mile walk across the paster, thankful for the pre applied muscle rub.:2thumbsup:
I've had my game camera set up on this spot for the last two weeks. I got a good idea where the turkeys are coming out of the ravine.I.ve got brush piled up about 70 yards from the crest of the hill to make me a blind, Yea I'm keeping it simple, no calls , no decoys , no nothing just setting and waiting for them to come to me.
I was settin in the dark drinking the last of my coffee waiting for day light. Around noon I seen a large group of tom's

:p As I place my bead on the one I won't to take,

:sweatdrop: I find that some my have seen me,
:yes: I keep the one in my sights and let loose with a 2 3/4 number 4 shot..........:food04:

it look's like the bird is heavy, but it's from setting so long and not moving so much,
now for the long trip back home, and one more season behind me.......Ron
:chef: this old bird is going to be taken  to work for Christmas dinner
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

davidlt89

Way to go Ron!!! looks like a beautiful area to hunt! thanks for sharing! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Alboy

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

You still have leaves on trees?!?!?!? :eek:

Good story with a happy ending. Thanks for the story and the pics.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Good story Ron. Congrat's. I didn't even get out for turkey this fall season. Just sat in the kitchen/dining room & watched them in the field behind the house. Sucker won't let me hunt back there anyway. That's ok. Next time I see cattle in his cornfield, I won't bother calling him.  That's just the way I am.  .....Paul H

kyhareraiser

goode job,,i like the idea of the trail cam set up at the site you are hunting. i get the ole' bio=freeze out b4 i head out too. we're all gettin' older but the hunts are just as fun still,  huh

Paul Hoskins

kyhare, welcome to THL forums. Where might ye be from???....Paul H

Tags: