For Your Protection - Head's Up!

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), May 31, 2006, 06:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

All you members please note:

Lately we've had some new 'members' who have posted downloads which supposedly 'help' keep your computer clear of viruses, trojans or other types of hacks.  Administration has intercepted these threads and removed them from the forums.

If you come across one, please be advised that it would be exceedingly unwise to accept such a download to your hard drive.  It might shut your computer down or leave a window open for someone to seize your computer and use it to mount attacks on other systems... usually through your address book.

Go to a reputable site to get spyware or anti-virus protection.  Windows 'Defender' and Symantec 'Anti-Virus' spring to mind but there are others.  My personal browser operates through Mozilla Firefox (free) and I operate through a router as well.

Please be aware of this type of attack and we will keep doing our best to intercept these threads and ban the new 'User/Member'.

Jay Edward (deceased)

We're still taking out the bad guys as quickly as we can folks.

Remember: Be on guard with any download.

oldvernie

Anytime my computer gets an alert for a download that I have not invited in, I do the ctrl/alt/del (all three at once) bit and get task manager to shut it down immediately. Or sometimes I can right click on the icon at the bottom of my screen and use the X to close the darn thing.

Oh, by the way... I'm back!

Tags: