An African Firearm Curiosity

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), February 03, 2008, 08:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

I cannot recall if I restored this image to the archives after the last melt down so I'm going to put it here again.

This is a Double Bolt-Action Rifle.  I don't have any other info on the rifle but I believe that someone had come up with something at one time.

So... just for the record:

Paul Hoskins

Jay, that's an impressive looking gun but a little weird. What makes it a double? I see the bolt lugs are on the rear of the bolt. It appears to have six lugs. Sure would like to know more about it.  ..........Paul H

Alboy

It has been a long time, close to 30 years I think. Some gun rag had an article and pictures of two African rifles like this.

One was SxS and the other O/U in big calibers that chambered two cartridges via a bolt action on the same stroke.

Looked hard to carry because of the extra width and weight.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Springbuck

Could be in the 458 group.  Would make a lot of sense for the proffesional hunter as you have the posibility of firing 2 shots at a charging buff.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;73529Jay, that's an impressive looking gun but a little weird. What makes it a double? I see the bolt lugs are on the rear of the bolt. It appears to have six lugs. Sure would like to know more about it.  ..........Paul H

Here is the action a little closer... does it help any?

Paul Hoskins

Helps some Jay, but I still can't figure out how it works. Is there two barrels? I would like to take it apart and look at it's workings. Rather extravagant work. Appears to be of German origin.   ..........Paul H

subsonic

It appears to be a side by side double with dual bolts. I assume that those are the locking lugs on the rear of the bolt and both bolts work simultaneously, on ejecting right and one ejecting left.

Paul Hoskins

I don't really see two barrels. There may be two with a rib between them tho. I would still like to take it apart..............Paul H

AZ Shooter Gal

would it fire both barrels at once? yikes!

Marlin917VS

I forget which edition I have, but I remember seeing that rifle in the shooters bible.  I don't have it with me in my dorm room, but next time i'm home i'll check it out.

Andy
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Steveb

There was an article on the rifle in one of our hunting magazines a few months back. Il see if i can find it and post some info:D

Marlin917VS

I'm home for christmas break and I looked the rifle up in the shooters bible.  It's from Szecsei & Fuchs.  It comes in a variety of chamberings from 300 win mag and 375h&h to 470 capstick and 500 jeffery.  It has a six-shot magazine and feeds the two rounds simultaneously and both can be fired by two quick pulls of the trigger.  It says "price available on request"... probably so they don't scare you away by listing it... haha.  The pictures they show in the book have every square inch of metal completely engraved.  It goes the whole way down the bolt handle, under the triger guard and the bottom of the magazine.  It's really classy looking.  I'll see if I can post of picture of it later.

Andy
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

gitano

It's a cool $250,000...

There are a couple of threads about this rifle at THL.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: