Elk In the Yard

Started by recoil junky, December 11, 2013, 12:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

SSSH! Be vewwy vewwy quiet!

I was couched up watching tv when I thought I heard elk talking, so I hit "pause" and went over to the dining room window and looked out over the meadow and sho 'nuff there's about 60 head meandering through my pasture not 30 yards from the house. I eased the kitchen door open and stepped out (RATS!!) onto some cold squeaky snow. (HAH! Now I got their attention!!!) so I eased back into the house, turned out the lights and got the binoculars. They were all looking back at me looking back at them. It's a regular Mexican Standoff!!

If the moon was fuller, I'd try to get a few pictures. Oh well, I can go look in the morning.

To me elk are the consummate big game animal, just when you think you got 'em right where you want 'em, they make a fool out of you.

I watched them off and on for 3-4 hours pawing and digging last night and this morning the snow in the pasture looks like a herd of piggies went through your garden after the carrots.

Later I'll take the 22 and see if I can scare up a few rabbits and look over the hill to see if I can spot them out in the wheat fields.

There was a herd of these on the lawn this morning: :cool:

It's a wonderful day. Bright sunshine and 22 above so I grab the camera, Grandad's M90 Winchester in 22WRF and a bottle of water and head out.

I get just to the top of the hill north of the house and I spook up some does that were bedded down in the sage. PSHEW!! I needed a rest anyway!!!

Made it to the top of the hill (I needed another rest :D) and I found where the elk been kicking the snow away to get at the goodies underneath, and then laying down where they'd cleared away the snow. Musta been during mid-day and they were soaking up the sun, usually they bed down on top of the snow.

I walked on a good bit towards the east and there they are. Probably 8-900 yards away (?) Way too far for the 22WRF ;)

My neighbor has a Gallegher electric fence. So hot elk won't go near it :o To the right is my side. Does look a bit like pigs rooting.

Here's a (Some galloot got most of his mitt in the way) picture of elk wool that was on one of the barbs on the fence. No wonder they stay warm :)

And one of Dad's tricks, an "elk gate. Pulled the top wire to the top of the post and the bottom three to the bottom pf the post. Keeps them from tearing things up so I have less work come spring.

Didn't get any wabbits (wasn't quiet enough twacking them to their holes I guess :rolleyes:) but Grandad and I  did have a nice walk.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Fieldmor77

Very nice R J, always good to look at pics of snow during our hot summer, so when is "Elk season", or can you take one whenever you like if its on your property, forgive my ignorance .

davidlt89

Excellent photo's RJ!!!! Elk certainly do interest me!!! I am very much thinking about looking into out of state elk tags out your way my friend!!! I like moose, and am glad we have them, but once spotted it is almost a give me they are going down!!! It must be fun to glass those suckers and then stalk them!!!! Not to mention I "hear" they are one tough animal, quite the opposite of a moose!!!!
Oh, why is that rabbit not white????? God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

Feldmor, elk season/s start/s in mid October. There's actually 4 seasons (not counting archery and muzzle loader) with usually a week or so in between. You need a tag/licence for the season you are going to hunt and it's only good for that time period. You can get  (2 more) "cow" tags if one isn't enough. Late season cow is open now, it runs 'til mid (?) January. I don't have one of those tags. So, no you can't just go whack one even if it's on your property. Bulls weigh on at 5-600 pounds (or more), cows 3-400 (on the hoof, average) A big bull is a hand full to field dress by ones self.

David, he's a cotton tail. Lots of them around the house. The ones that turn white are (at least in the "flats") jack rabbits. Actually hares about the size of a medium sized dog. Kinda like eatin' the sole off your boot. Snowshoe hares also turn white but live in the higher forested areas. They are the crem de la crem of "rabbits". I think you might have in your neighborhood. If you do get a tag, get one for "third season" and I might be able to hook you up, or at least you'll get to see a few. Plenty of public land, but also plenty of other hunters. Hunterbug is either very good or very lucky as he seems to get one every year. The private land I get to hunt (employees only) is primo elk habitat. I'm at the stage where I love to hunt, but the kill is secondary to getting out. The fun's over when you pull the trigger unless it's close to the road. :D

That reminds me I need to go check the pasture . . . . . . . . .

Not sure if they are elk or Jim's horses. I'll have another peek after while. BRRRR! It's gotta be -15 at least!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

QuoteHunterbug is either very good or very lucky as he seems to get one every year.
One year, or maybe two, is "luck". Several years is "good".

Great pics! Keep 'em coming.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I'd better not let the girls see the picture of the rabbit or they'll be heading to RJs with or without me. :D Great pics RJ. I remember the herd that ran right up to your fence when we were hunting one year only to turn around. Did anyone else notice the 4 deer in the distance of picture #2?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

davidlt89

QuoteDavid, he's a cotton tail
Ok, that makes sense. We have "snowshoe hare" and "cottontails". About 10 years ago they put the kibosh to the cotton tail hunting because numbers were getting low. I have not seen one for years, until this year. I actually shot one during bird season by mistake!! they are tiny compared to the snowshoe hare and it baffled me by its size!!! I ended up seeing another one about 3 weeks ago and it was not white, I am assuming they don't turn color. it dawned on me it was a cottontail after that!! I went down the trail a little further and there was a nice fat, white, showshoe hare!!! I think the hare tastes pretty good!!! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Fieldmor77

Quote from: recoil A big bull is a hand full to field dress by ones self.
RJ[/QUOTE
I can imagine! Saw a few in the flesh once while traveling  through British Columbia, couldn't believe the size of them, easily as big as a horse I thought.
The system you have sounds fair for all.

recoil junky

I was wondering if anyone would see those four deer. They were out by the red shed and took off as soon as I went through the gate by the horse tank west of the house. They saw I was armed :antlers:

The yard is covered in bunny tracks, but they are "off limits". We don't have a lot of cotton tails around (right) here so I've been letting them "multiply". I think the foxes are hard on them.

There were gobs of elk out in the pasture again tonight. Saw a REALLY nice bull by the green gate (HB and Paul know) that's maybe 50(?) yards from the house. It of course was too dark to see just how nice he was but he could easily scratch his butt with his antlers.

This bull:

and this bull:

were killed within 100 yards of each other but 4 years apart.

The second one's antlers will fit inside the first but the second was a lot bigger bodied. Oh, the second bull? I was all by myself. That was a work out!

I could get an elk every year, but it's not about pulling the trigger anymore, it's about the hunt and just getting out amongst them then sharing my trials and tribulations with you guys.

RJ

Hunterbug

We can help with the fox problem too.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

Now I think I have fence to fix. Beins as how it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home . . . . . .

I was throwing out bread crusts for the rabbits/birds this morning (in the dark) and one of the pieces hit the chain link fence around our tiony yard. Well I didn't know it but there were elk not far from me and as soon as that tiny bread crust hit the fence GONE and IN A HURRY!!! not 2 seconds later I heard wire screech as it ripped through staples then about 6 seconds later I heard the same thing with the popping sounds of wire breaking to the east as they went through the fence between Jim and I. Jim isn't home so I hope his horses, if they did get out, only got to my side of the fence . . . . .. I'll be out at daylight looking.

RATS!!!

RJ

sakorick

I owned two horses at one time ..... they are gone .... I don't miss them. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Sorry to hear that Rick, I still miss my mules.

Well fence repair is in order. The boundary fence between Jim and I is some tore up, but Jim's equines are still on the right side. My fence on the county road is in shambles and wouldn't hold a grain fed steer tied to the trough. I'll fix it come spring, but I need to mend the boundary fence.

RJ

gitano

I owned horses. In my opinion, with RARE exceptions, but exceptions acknowledged, the "best" horse is in a can with a dogfood label on it.

Like all working animals, and especially big ones, a good one is a blessing from God. A bad, one FAR more common in my experience, is a curse from hell.

The ONLY good WILD horse is a DEAD wild horse. I hate them.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Aha... you were the ring leader in the Romanian Tesco's hoss burger supply chain then?
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I would have been, and I would have bought my own ammo. Hunterbug almost has to physically restrain me from shooting the wild ones we see when hunting elk. I like feral horse with the same fervor that I "like" feral dogs.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteThe ONLY good WILD horse is a DEAD wild horse. I hate them.
I times that by 10 and would take out the world "wild". I just don't like horses! BUT, to each his own! God Bless.

recoil junky

Wild horses/burros are not native nor are they cute. They are a bunch of in-bred retards that tree/sage huggers (another bunch of in-bred retards) want to protect.

And that's all I have to say about that.

RJ

drinksgin (deceased)

I agree with the French and dog raisers, fresh or canned!
It has been reported that the Apaches were especially fond of mules, though.
The reports I have see claim the feral asses are worse than the feral horses, so far as destruction of native plants.
I also feel cats, (I believe all cats are feral, couch potatoes included,) are only good for tamales.
Another invasive alien species that is bad on the native animals.
There are some really bad plants, too, water hyacinth, mill foil ,tamarix, chinese tallow, trifoliate orange,purple loosestrife and a number of others. Now the asian carp and snake heads are well established in US waters and the lion fish is taking over the Gulf. Zebra mussels are turning off power plants.
Just seems to be no end in sight
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: