Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver vs Swift

eaver V3
2 (66.7%)
wift 665M
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Lost Hunta

Which of these two would y'all pick for typical woodland deer hunting in this country called the USA? My recent trigger time in my hunting grounds more than showed the uselessness of a 3-9x if 5xthrough9x won't ever be used.Swift 665M 1.5-4.5x21   or Weaver V3 1-3x20
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Marlin917VS

I don't have any experience with weaver other than looking through one in the store, but I have a swift premier, and had a normal swift.  The normal swift was pretty good, but not nearly as clear as the premier scope.  If I were you, you would go with the 648M Premier, over the 665M Non-premier.  The 648M Premier does look a little different though, it has a 32mm objective lense, so it doesnt have that straight out look like the two you have listed.  You would'nt be dissapointed with the non-premier, they are still great scopes, just not as good as the premier line.  Weaver seems to be a respectable company, so I would bet that thier scope is good, but like I said, I've only looked through weavers in the store, never owned one.  By the way, what rifle will this be going on?  

Later
Andy
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Lost Hunta

it'll be goin on a H&R Ultra Hunter .308. Currently it wears a Nikon 3-9x40 but its just pointless to have offhand in a higher mag and i could find it a better home on a .17HMR im dreaming of :). I did want the style i listed (no objective bell) more so cause it looks nice but also it allows for a lower ring and sheds of wieght.

the Swift Premier/Premium (BTW whats up with that Premier/Premium thing)does have a different reticle, but it's labeled as a shotgun/BP scope so is this still good for centerfire?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Jay Edward (deceased)

I prefer Weaver (steel tube) in fixed powers but do have a variable or two from Leupold.  Switching back and forth between a 3x or 4x and iron sights is about my speed.  Also...I prefer the tapered crosshair to the duplex.

Rohann

Stay away from Swift; I read a very, very bad review about a Swift on Canadiangunnutz.

-Rohann

Marlin917VS

I have one and have used three and swift is my favorite brand of scope right now. For under $200 you can get a scope that is close to or the equivelant to a leupold vx-II. They are extremely bright and clear, and not a lot of money. There are bad reviews on almost any scope you find. There are a ton of leupold haters out there who write stuff bad about them, but does that make it a bad scope? Don't think every review you read is correct. Just because one person dislikes something, doesn't mean its bad. This guy didn't seem to dislike it:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/articles/guns/category8/87.html

Later
Andy
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Lost Hunta

I saw a Simmons Pro-Diamond 1.5-5x20 what do y'all think bout this one?? saw it on the rack at Gander Mountain today.
http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win/order/prodlist.exe/PSZ/?Template=ProdDetail.htm&ProductID=11259
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Brithunter

Hi All,

I have a couple of scopes with the straight tube at the objective end, in fact I have two Steel weavers. a K3W and a K1.5 and a old Bushnell Scopechief 3x. Now the thing I have found is that in woodland under a good canopy the shade can get deep and that small objective does not drag in the light.

For almost all of my hunting I use a 6x42mm scope, yes I have some varibles but these all were brought S/H because of the price and then they are set on 6x so now I am used to 6x magnification. So make your choice and get used to it ;)
Go Get them Floyd!

Lost Hunta

Well i thought the Weaver K4 would be the best bang for the buck of mine.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Lost Hunta

Even though tht Redfield 4x Wide Field is usually quite more I found one on Sportsmansguide for like 50%+/- off regular price $60 is all compared to $170+
"Cari" my M4 carbine

varmint hunter

Vote = Weaver v3.
That was my vote. I believe that the weaver scopes are better than Swift. With that sort of variability, there really makes no difference (or its rather minimal). Maybe look at a fixed 3x?

Lost Hunta

I thought of the Weaver k4 fixed scope.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

varmint hunter

yes i was looking at that the other day. Is that the 4x38? It may just have a little to small objective. I always like to have at least a 40mm objective. It all depends if you are likely to go out during the evening for a hunt?

I have a pic of this scope...

varmint hunter

However...compared to the other two scopes voted in this thread, their objectives are around 20mm. So guess this one is better in that instance??

Lost Hunta

yes and you mean 4x32 not 38 right cause a mere 2mm from 40mm just dosen't make sense. I also just thought maybe i'd leave my Nikon alone and lock it a 4x. with the hex screw on the power ring right or just set it there?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

varmint hunter

no i did mean 4x38, at least im pretty sure that that scope is that size. And yes i guess that 38 and 40mm makes no difference anyway, Just stating a point that i like my scopes around 40mm. You say that you will just leave your current scope on 4x, and that you want to screw it there? Why not just leave it there and not touch it? Maybe i miss some point...

Lost Hunta

by jove it is 38mm, thats interesting.
The point i guess is that i have this Weaver steel tube scope (usa El Paso) that could be locked at a given power with a hex screw in the power ring. I guess the only reason to do so is to release temptation from cranking up the power while at the range, that and to give hint to anyone handling my rifle that the scope is to be left alone.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Fortunate Son

In scope selection, a lot depends on the hunting conditions.  The way we hunt here in the South lower power scopes seem to be better suited than the high magnification ones.  Even so, most folks around here use 3-9.  

I have two of the Weaver 1-3 power scopes and love em.  I'm actually considering buying another one.  I have never owned a Swift.  My dad has one in 3-9 that does not impress me.
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

Tags: