Recent posts

FIREARMS & OPTICS / Re: j0e_bl0ggs guns
Last post by branxhunter - March 13, 2024, 11:18:24 PM
Quote from: gitano on January 15, 2024, 02:06:32 PMI wondered about that too, Marcus. I haven't come up with an answer. He liked the .17 Rem, and one of them shot "little bug-holes". (I don't remember which one.  :( )  I haven' shot either of them yet. I do remember that his favorite load 1) used Vihtavouri powder, and 2) MV was under 4000 f/s. Maybe under 3800. I'm not too interested in a .17 bullet doing less than 4000, because 1) I know it's easy to get them going faster, and 2) if I have a 40-grain .22 bullet going 4000+ (from the .22-250), I don't really care about a 25-grain, .17 caliber bullet doing 3700. The .17 Remington that I have had from the early '80s has an average MV of 4112 with a 25-grain Hornady. It doesn't shoot as precisely as is reported on line for most .17 Rems - "only" 1-MoA at 100. (There's an interesting story associated with that.)

I'll shoot Alain's and see what I want to do with them after that. I do have two grandsons...

Paul

Sounds like a good plan. My daughter loves the Sako .17-222 and has basically claimed it as hers.

Marcus
FIREARMS & OPTICS / Re: j0e_bl0ggs guns
Last post by gitano - January 15, 2024, 02:06:32 PM
I wondered about that too, Marcus. I haven't come up with an answer. He liked the .17 Rem, and one of them shot "little bug-holes". (I don't remember which one.  :( )  I haven' shot either of them yet. I do remember that his favorite load 1) used Vihtavouri powder, and 2) MV was under 4000 f/s. Maybe under 3800. I'm not too interested in a .17 bullet doing less than 4000, because 1) I know it's easy to get them going faster, and 2) if I have a 40-grain .22 bullet going 4000+ (from the .22-250), I don't really care about a 25-grain, .17 caliber bullet doing 3700. The .17 Remington that I have had from the early '80s has an average MV of 4112 with a 25-grain Hornady. It doesn't shoot as precisely as is reported on line for most .17 Rems - "only" 1-MoA at 100. (There's an interesting story associated with that.)

I'll shoot Alain's and see what I want to do with them after that. I do have two grandsons...

Paul
FIREARMS & OPTICS / Re: A couple of unique Brnos -...
Last post by gitano - January 15, 2024, 01:44:26 PM
Missed the articles.

Excellent reads!

Paul
Quotable Quotes / Re: Your own favourite quotes ...
Last post by branxhunter - January 15, 2024, 11:51:03 AM
A former work colleague of mine from over 25 years ago:

" That's the trouble with getting your ambitions mixed up with your capabilities" Dennis Holmes

Marcus
AUSTRALIAN OUTDOORS / Re: Another evening in the sto...
Last post by Jamie.270 - January 14, 2024, 08:31:49 PM
Good stuff Marcus!

"Way to go Dad!"
AUSTRALIAN OUTDOORS / Another evening in the stones
Last post by branxhunter - January 14, 2024, 05:45:23 PM

Our daughter had one of her friends over last night and they wanted to head out for a hunt. We grabbed the Anschutz .222 and the Brno Mod 2 Myra Extruder, cammed up and headed into the stones to see if we could whistle up a fox.

No foxes seen at the first stand but daughter shot a rabbit, her first fur with the  .20 Myra extruder built on a Brno Mod2.  I was gifted the rifle by my friend Mark ( aka Camel) who succumbed to cancer last year. I think he would have been well chuffed.

It was a beautiful eveni g to be out and about.

The last stand was shooting over a stone fence. After whistling for a while I noticed two foxes sitting on a track about 300m away looking in our direction but another 10 minutes later they hadn't come any closer and light was beginning to fade. Not wanting to stumble through rocks on the way back to the Ute we called it quits.

Marcus
FIREARMS & OPTICS / Re: Mossberg 46B .22lr
Last post by gitano - January 14, 2024, 05:10:28 PM
Nice!

Interesting, to me, how different .22 RFs shoot different ammo best. Those two brands and 'models' of ammo didn't work well in my Anschutzs or Stevens.

My first firearm was a Mossberg bolt action .410 shotgun with external choke. I learned to wing-shoot using that gun. It is my belief that it made me a better wingshooter.

Paul
FIREARMS & OPTICS / Re: Mossberg 46B .22lr
Last post by branxhunter - January 14, 2024, 05:03:10 PM

Then settled in to see how it would group with a few different loads.

So rounds of choice are PowerPoint 40gn HP, and CCI subsonic HP.

Marcus
FIREARMS & OPTICS / Mossberg 46B .22lr
Last post by branxhunter - January 14, 2024, 05:00:40 PM
A good mate of mine recently brought home his dad's old Mossberg 46B 22lr.

He ordered a Havlin side mount from Brownells:

Then removed the open sights, bought some Leupold rings and a Vortex Crossfire scope, and turned up this morning to zero it in.

The Loopy rings had the scope sitting way up in the air, so I offered him some very low old school Weaver mounts.

Marcus
Quotable Quotes / Re: Your own favourite quotes ...
Last post by Jamie.270 - January 11, 2024, 06:58:37 AM
I didn't write/create this, but I think it might be the most important statement I've ever heard, as it pertains to science (especially Climate Change):

QuoteIt's better to have questions that cannot be answered, than answers that cannot be questioned
-- Dr. Willie Soon, Astrophysicist and Geoscientist.