new to bow's

Started by rimfire, November 16, 2006, 09:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimfire

hi all ! can anyone put me on the right track's , im thinking on starting bow hunting and dont know what sort of bow to go for , so any help would be great , thank's .

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: rimfire...hi all ! can anyone put me on the right track's , im thinking on starting bow hunting and dont know what sort of bow to go for...

Yikes! You're going to have to decide... traditional or modern?  Then the fun will start.

davidlt89

rimfire,
    hard to buy a bad bow these days. I personally use a PSE, but know several people that use mathews and hoyts. I definately would start modern!!!!!!!!!!!!! traditional is an aquired taste, it is also much harder and more frustrating!!!!!!!!!!! I myself got set up for about 388.00 total. thats the bow and the arrows. IMO carbon arrows are much better. Not only do they fly faster, but they do not bend (they are either straight or broken). I would also start out with a release. check out some of the archery sights like PSE, hoyt and mathews. It depends on how much you want to spend. It is just like buying a rifle, don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get the equipment you need to do the job. let us know how you are doing. God Bless
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowman

I have a fred bear and it is a great bow they even sell them at walmart starting at $193.00 I got a nice one from dicks sporting goods and it was $240.00 the best thing is to watch walmart for your broad heas and arrows they normally go on clearence right after october and you can get good carbon arrows whatever length you need for about three dollars each and the broad heads normally go down to 5-7 dollars for a three pack depending on what kind you like a whisker biskit is a must the old pin type arrow rest cost me a few deer this season I just recently killed a doe with my bow about two weeks or so ago and rifle hunting doesnt even compare......... o the thrill..... but the three main things are release whisker biskit and stabilizer

hatracked

PSE has several excellent entry level "kits" The Fireflight 33 package i know is a solid one. My son shoots one.

I wouldn't absolutely say to stay away from traditional bows. I had three fellas i tutored into archery this past summer, one took to the recurve like fish to water. He was shooting right next to those boys with their new compounds at twenty yards all summer. He ended up with a Bear recurve and shoots it very well. Just depends on the desire, and how much you are willing to dedicate to being proficient. No doubt modern archery gear requires far less to become proficient if your looking for a quick start everytime. However, some folks take to recurves like they were born with one.
John Coit
The modern bowhunter celebrates his anscestry by the use of the bow and arrow.

davidlt89

Hatracked,
your son has the same bow as me. I bought my Fireflight 33 about 6-7 years ago. Then it was selling for 278.00 and was a double cam. I believe they have gone up in price immensly, but I may be mistaken. It is a nice bow though, killed everything I have pointed it at and that is what matters. I also was not trying to turn anyone away from recurves, I was just saying they are hard to shoot and it takes alot of dedication and practice. sorry if that came out the wrong way. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

arffdog911

im a huge bowhunter fan and avid shooter i have a fred bear GQS2 its my favorite i also own a Kodiak mag recurve im not the best with it but i have a lot of fun shooting it.  i started messin around with a bow when i was a wee one, my old man bought me a fred bear flare side, not the best bow, it was made with metal limbs and riser, every winter my gloves would freeze to my bow, but it grows on ya', every summer i would practice by shooting at squirrles, and if you can hit a squirle you can hit a dear, and like bowman said watch walmart for arrows, i shoot aluminum, so i guess im still in the stone age but their cheaper.

Vermonster

I use a Martin Saber, bought last year out the door for right around $400, and that's with a dozen arrows.  Very good, middle of the road bow.....

m gardner

I'm back to bowhunting after being laid off for 7 years because of an injury and operations to repair my hand and elbow. My only advice is to get a bow that you can draw under the worst possible conditions. You will find that when you are warmed up and on the range you'll easily draw 10 to 20 pounds more than if you sat in a cold rain all day. I use the heaviest carbon arrows I can get. they are plenty fast, quiet the bow and penetrate deeply. Good rugged broadheads are a must also. Cut on contact if possible and tune your bow to them. Learn the vitals on your game and be able to hit them. I'm shooting a Martin Jaguar with a whisker buscuit and a release. It's set at 55 pounds and I'm shooting the knocks off arrows at 20 yards already. The deer and elk better watch out this year. Seven years ago in my disabled state I found a large 6 point elk and after 2 weeks I managed to get within 15 yards of him. It took 4 tries to draw the bow and I badly released the arrow ( I was shooting fingers which were mostly numb ) wounding him. I stayed there that night and couldn't find him the next day. It was such a bad experience I gave up until such time that I healed enough. Which God willing is now. God bless and good hunting.
Mark

Mauserfan in TX

:biggthumpup: I started archery when i was a lil' kid myself. I was taught how to use a tradional type bow by a freind of my father. When i decided to step up into a compound, I went to a Archery pro shop that was recommended to me by a friend , who happened to be a picky bowhunter. I went to this preson , and told him what i was in the market for ,as well as my budget, and have been happy with my purchace ever since.So my advice to you would be the same. Go to see an Archery pro, who is also a bowhunter, and let them help you out. I also still get out to the woods with my longbow sometimes though. Tradional Bowhunting to me is very special.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

bowhunter 51

Good, sound advice from all these guys, rimfire.........Sounds like you may be
about to enter a new and exciting realm of hunting that couldn't be more thrilling
nor gratifying....but heed!....It can be expensive and often underestimated..
I've had several several close calls with what could have been fatal injuries in my
30 some-odd years of bowhunting!...Not to run you off...but, please be safe...
Good luck with this venture.............................................................................
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: