Big elk herd

Started by Ultrahunter, March 14, 2005, 06:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultrahunter

Went shed hunting this weekend and ran into a herd of 150-200 elk with 15-20 bulls I tried counting them a few times but there were so many in such a little area that they were really hard to count.  I think I will go back in a couple of weeks and see if they have shed by then.  I din't find any the other day but seeing that many elk together was something else.  Any one else see any big winter herds.

Gmoney

That sounds incredible.....Senn that with whitetail many, many times but a herd of elk like that sure would be a sight for this southern guy.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Antler3

Those were some awesome pictures Kit thanks for sharing those. I have an uncle out in that area who hunts elk.
ANTLER 3

Ultrahunter

Yeah G money it was pretty sweet the coolest part was that they didn't have a clue that I was there I got to within 300 yards and sat there with my dog and watched them for about an hour.  They were laying out sunning themselves on a hillside.  It was really neat watching them for so long.  The Labrador and I shared a granola bar and enjoyed the show.  It was great!!

Hunterbug

I see a few big herds now and then. Especially in the ranchers pastures during the winter. They come in and eat the hay.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

m gardner

The Maybelle area of Colorado just north of where I live is a wintering area for the elk , deer and antelope. There are incredible numbers of them there. The late elk cow season in december is quite a show usually, but only after the snow pushes them down. I love to see them travel into there. They travel pretty much single file and can be seen for miles along the ridgetops at times. It makes the tops of the naked ridges look furry when viewed from a distance. You can hunt all month and really enjoy yourself. It's a great hunt for a kid , wife , or for me now that I think about it! You did a good thing not bumping those elk out of their area. We've done that and not found any sheds that year because they moved and didn't come back. They just started migrating I guess. God bless and good hunting.

Hunterbug

m gardner, I didn't know that you lived up there. I shot my first buck on Juniper Mtn. in 1989. I've hunted that late season hunt in unit 12 around Christmas and always saw tons of elk! The first morning we saw over 200 before we got out of the camper! They were all on private property but they don't stay there forever. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

m gardner

Hunterbug; I've been on Juniper Mtn. just last october. Found an eagle dead by an old lion killed cow elk carcass. Seems he got too close while the lion was still there. We usually hunt unit 11 late season. My wife shot her last elk in Bitterbrush 2 years ago. She's been sick and doesn't want to go hunt again yet, but she's getting better. That morning we got up on 3 groups of elk before she felt comfortable shooting. Probably saw 500 head or so. That year we found a big bull with the head cut off and reported it. I was hoping to get the meat but it was spoiled. Bunch of slobs poaching antlers. Glad to meet someone from my neighborhood. God bless you this season.

Hunterbug

My friend and his wife hunted that late season unit 11 hunt last year. They used to hunt Elk Springs when it was in the RFW program. I got my first elk near Rattlesnake Hill in unit 211. I've also taken tons of deer from 211 and quite a few bunnies from Douglas Mtn. I hope your wife gets feeling up to going this year.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

My Grandfather took this bull off of Juniper Mtn in 89. I then used his 7mm Mag to take my first buck at close to 400 yards on the last day of the season.

This was the following year. I was in Germany in the Army and didn't make that hunt.

This is a couple years later at the base of Douglass Mtn. I kept asking him to quit leaning on my deer but he wouldn't listen. :D

Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: