Fox that fell to the whistle

Started by branxhunter, February 09, 2013, 02:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

A while back I bought a Silva Fox predator call - something we call a fox whistle here in Australia. Our friends in the US really should do themselves a favour and check out some of the footage on the Silva Fox website:

http://silvafoxwhistles.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

I must admit I was blown away by some of this footage, so I would assume that those across the pond might find it fascinatiing as well.

I have mainly used it while spotlighting, but during our summer holiday down on the coast I took the opportunity to try some daylight fox whistling. I had my Sako .222 and found a location high on the side of a dune where I could sit in the shade of a boxthorn (RH side of photo below) and face the scrub in the property next door.

[ATTACH]13251[/ATTACH]

After whistling for a while I saw a fox coming out of the scrub (green arrow) only to stop and sit on its haunches on a small rise around 200m away (yellow arrow). I whistled a little more, and the fox kept coming in and I lost it over the brow of the dune I was sitting on. I shouldered the .222, slipped off the safety, and waited.

The fox came up over the brow of the dune, sat on its haunches to look at me (orange arrow), and I lowered the boom.

[ATTACH]13252[/ATTACH]

A very satisfying morning indeed.

Marcus

RatherBHuntin

Wasn't sure about the Aussie accent on that fox whistle, but judging from the way my cat freaked out when I played a demo, must not be an issue.  Nice set up you had there, and nice fox to show for it.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Fieldmor77

Good one Marcus, haven't shot a fox in years, they are around, but not in the numbers that you get down there in Vic.

davidlt89

Cool Marcus!!!! Did you keep the pelt? God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Noice! (With appropriate Aussie accent applied. :) )

I've been listening to 'you guys' talk about 'whistling up' foxes with great interest. I haven't yet had a chance to try it 'over here'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Fieldmor77

It's a shock sometimes just how easy it is to get them in with the whistle, i was at a friends recently who lives on about 400 acres, and his young son was playing with one of those squeaky rubber toys you see kids with, and a young fox came running out of the bush almost right up to him!

22hornet

Quote from: Fieldmor77;124009It's a shock sometimes just how easy it is to get them in with the whistle, i was at a friends recently who lives on about 400 acres, and his young son was playing with one of those squeaky rubber toys you see kids with, and a young fox came running out of the bush almost right up to him!

I've had the same thing happen. I keep a fox whistle in the car, I often see foxes around my area at night. Stopping by the roadside I can often get them within 5 metres of the car before they spook.

A fox got in and killed the kids chickens last week. Looks like a night with the whistle and bow are in order.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Jorge in Oz

Nice get Marcus and I love the Sako.

I've got one of those whistles but have never really used it. Just wondering what the technique is you use to call them in Do you do it in lots of two three whistles and then pause and do  you blow in and out like a harmonica. Sorry to ask silly questions but I have a couple of patches where I go bunny busting and I'm sure there are some reynards around that need to be taken out.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

branxhunter

No stupid questions there my friend"

My technique is based on viewing footage by this particular whistles maker onnhisnwebsite (as noted above), footage found when googling "Tenterfield whistle", and by reading a few articles. The main thing I learnt was to consider the size of the lungs on a rabbit compared to our lungs - while we might be able to wail through the whistle for 10+ seconds, a rabbit is only going to squeal for short burst of 1-2 seconds.

Also, these things are LOUD! Start of with a few quieter bursts so you don't scare the skin off of any foxes close by. Then wait for 10-20 seconds, then give a few more with a bit louder volume. Don't just whistle non-stop.

Once you see one coming in just give a quiet squeal if it stops and sits there. Don't overdo it though, give one or two and wait. Often they will wait for a little longer then keep coming in.

Google and watch a few posted videos, and get out there and practice.

Good luck!

Marcus

Jorge in Oz

Thanks Marcus, I'll have to give that a crack next time we're busting bunnies.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

kombi1976

Good shooting, Marcus. I whistle a fair bit. I tend to start low like a wounded rabbit and then sort of build right up as if it was getting really distressed and desperate, then taper off again. I repeat that a few times and if nothing comes in then there's likely nothing out there. But the whistle doesn't have to be defeaning. Their hearing is spectacular and tuned for a rabbit in distress.
The bellows type predator callers are really good though. They sound like a wounded duck and they really ARE deafening. They're like a length of black concertina rubber hose with the wooden caller at the end. You can pump them and with your hand over the caller itself make them sound like a baby crying. Any fox unfamiliar with them fairly bolts in.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

I think there has been some "cultural confusion" with respect to "whistling" for foxes. I am getting the distinct impression that what Aussies call "whistling" we call "predator calling" using a "predator call". I thought you guys were doing something novel by "whistling" for them. Am I correct that "whistling" is just a euphemism for using a predator call that usually imitates the the screams of a dying rabbit or other small critter?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: