So Now... Where's The Shot?

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), May 11, 2006, 08:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinbbar

Cool, Greg....

I have got them back in the area now...More towards the county road.
It seems in thier newcomer infinate wisdom the people that live close to the county road bought a cozen goats, so the coyotes are sernading them...;)

In fact 1 is MIA now......Gee, I wonder what happened to it? :D

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

200 yards is a pretty easy shot, so no problem.

Of the shots offered, I'd take the bottom right.  At that range, there's a possibility of him moving his head, and the base of the neck moves slower if he turns his head for some reason.

If I were to take the top left shot, I'd want the bullet to hit a little lower, and a little farther back.  Where they are, my rifle would either shoot over him, or would break an antler.

Daryl

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Jay Edward (deceased)

You know guys... this is all very well and good, buttttttttt... just what position are you going to use?  I said no prone and I don't think you're going to try your shots offhand.

So... let's try to get real here!  Just how are you going to shoot this elk at 200 yards?

bowhunter 51

Well, I'm gonna find my some open through tha' sage grass and try it from the
seated position but even then, if he's any outside of 200 yrds, he's beyond my
expertise...........................................................................................BH51
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Hunterbug

Quote from: Jay Edward Just how are you going to shoot this elk at 200 yards?

I'm not as long as he's in that position. But if I can I will be sitting with my bipod extended and the crosshairs on him waiting for a better angle. If the sage is too tall for the bipod then I'm kneeling with the crosshairs on him waiting. At 200 yards with my 338 he's toast as soon as I like the angle. If I knew that he was facing me I would go a little to the left on the bottom left picture.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Gmoney

Jay, either my bipod or my shooting sticks....no problemo at all.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Hunterman

With that elk facing away from me like he is in this pic, then its kneeling and a neck shot...

Hunterman(Tony)

rockinbbar

Jay, 200 yards isn't a problem, as I practice beyond that range myself.

There is usally a fence, tree, or something that is avl. for a rest.
I personally don't care for a kneeling shot....I's much rather sit down & use my knees for a rest. ;)

I can make the shot standing, but will always take one of the above rests if avl.

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Same as Barry.  I can make the shot standing, but I'd prefer sitting with the rifle resting across my knee.

I've shot coyotes at close to 500 yards while sitting and shooting that way.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

buckshot roberts

;) Me lower left,As I'm crossing a clearing it will be the kneeling position, I've been trained to shot in that position,  Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Hunterbug

Buckshot, that's my prefered shooting position.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

buckshot roberts

HB:D  most of my shooting of deer has been in that position, the standing against a tree ect, is still a good one, I still can shoot from the ole jackknife position, but my bum leg makes it hard to get up sometimes:( ,Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

WHITETAIL HUNTER

I am with Buckshot on this one.
Preserve the heritage, take a youth hunting.

Nothing outruns a deer, BUT A MAGNUM :eek:

Smokepole

Okay Jay here goes....

I spot that particular elk, I'm trying to decide what to do......
Since this would be my first elk, I'd get excited, he would wind me and run away.

Problem solved, except now I'm wearing wet shorts.:D

As I see the elks legs/knees, it does appear as if he would be facing towards me. Lower left would be my choice. If I were alone, kneeling position with or without shooting sticks would be my first choice. If another hunter was with me, I'd shoot either over his shoulder or have him hunch over in a 3 point stance, use his back and my back as a rest.

recoil junky

Hate to let the wind out of your sails but

#1 he's obviously in Yellowstone or Glacier or Rocky Mountain National Park :D

#2 I don't know what or who is behind him :confused:

and #3 If he is in Yellowstone etc. who or what is behind me!!! :eek:

I'd have to pass for the time being. I'd stay quiet and stay close but I'd bet there are about 15-20 other noses and pairs of eyes and ears alert for danger somewhere close by. :frown
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Tags: