Teen Outdoorsman

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), May 21, 2008, 08:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

By Dylan le Roux (13)

I have been shooting with a traditional bow for two years, and have always          toyed with the idea of shooting a buck. My dream was rekindled when my          older cousins (Niekie, Barry and Jan-Louis) invited me on my first hunt          during the July holidays.

I couldn't believe my ears; I was going on my first hunt. Before          I knew it we had arrived at the farm and were being warmly welcomed by          everyone. After a good supper we went to bed (which didn't come          easy)
        Early the next morning Niekie took me on a walk-and-stalk. We began          stalking some impala about 150 metres away. As we closed the gap to about          60 metres, some blesbok and more impala arrived and we found ourselves          surrounded. One of the animals was about 40 metres away, but as Niekie          drew his compound we were busted and the herd scattered. Later we returned          to camp for lunch.

After lunch, Greg (Niekie's friend) drove me down to one of the          hides on the farm. I had nothing to do in the hide, so I sat around for          almost four hours disassembling and assembling my broadheads to prevent          myself from falling asleep. As I looked up I saw a herd of about six blesbok          22 metres away. My heart started to pound. Was this it?
        One of the blesbok with rather good-looking horns stepped forward, offering          me an almost perfect broadside shot. At that moment time seemed to stand          still and I thought, it's now or never. I decided it would be now.          I drew my 45-pound Impala Recurve nocked with an Eastern Excel arrow tipped          with a 90-grain Game Getter broadhead and sent it on its way.

The arrow hit a bit high but the shot was okay (later confirmed as a          lung shot). The animal bolted off and buck fever took over. Had I done          it? Had I harvested my first buck ever?

About 20 minutes later Niekie arrived with the bakkie. We talked for          a while and then started the blood search. We soon found large pools of          blood, which they said were from the lungs, but it was becoming dark and          we had to get back to camp to get the spotlight. When we returned I saw          a blesbok in the distance. Was it mine? Sure enough, it was my first buck          ever. I was indescribably pleased.
        We took it back to camp for slaughtering, which I did with Niekie's          help. I also had my whole face smothered in blood – our tradition.

The rest of the week was spent stalking and enjoying the time.

My greatest thanks to all involved for the most unforgettable time of          my life.

loveumaryii

it is better to fight for good than to fail at the ill.-------------------------Our wow power leveling website offer Fast and Secure wow powerleveling service. WoW Power Leveling 60-70, Cheap wow power leveling 1-70. The Professional Cheap WoW Gold! Powerlevel wow gold now. WOrld of warcraft Power Leveling bloom of true love associated with this time of year!

Lovingttu

Eat to live, but not live to eat.----------------------------------Do you look for free wow gold? Welcome to our WoW Gold , Our links:wow gold, wow gold, wow gold,World of warcraft Power Leveling..

Tags: